A Watched Pot Never Boils

Post image for A Watched Pot Never Boils

by Amy Flanigan on June 18, 2009 · 10 comments

As if living in the arctic wasn’t hard enough (with all the layering, shoveling, windshield scraping, car warming, and high heating bills), but the wait time between the first snowfall and the last frost when I can finally plant my garden again is forever. Forever, I tell you.

Then it happens. It’s finally June (yes, June) and I can get going on my herbs, strawberries, peppers, and beloved tomatoes. Of course, it’s absolute torture for me to wait (I’m not the most patient person, ehem) until I actually have fruit.

After the plants have been introduced to their new dirt home, I go outside every single day. Inspecting, watching, waiting. More waiting.

Then I see the flowers. Progress at last!

The excitment holds me off for a day or two. Then I get nutty obssesive again. Where’s the fruit already!?

There you are.

But, when are you going to turn red? A burning question from Haley, and myself. I have sauces that want you, salsas that need you, and salads that wouldn’t be right without you.

I guess I’ll check on you tomorrow.

Tick tock.

Jude June 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Can’t get anything to grow? Try chives. Ours come back each year bigger than ever. Of course, one cannot survive on chives alone…

We used to grow veggies in large pots on a townhouse patio. Now we have a tiny house with our own tiny garden, and what the rabbits, squirrels, birds and ducks don’t get, we keep. Neighbors use rabbit wire around their bounty – it’s not unsightly and does the trick.

Cheryl June 19, 2009 at 11:52 am

I have garden envy. I can’t seem to get anything to grow :(

Mike June 19, 2009 at 7:54 am

Do you ever have critter problems when growing your own? The rabbits in our neck of the woods are so over-populated and bold that they tend to be really destructive to gardens. Doesn’t sound like you have that problem, which is great. The tomatoes should be ready pretty soon, yes?

Jennifer June 19, 2009 at 9:43 am

I can so relate! I go out every day to check on the “kids” (as I call them), and there are lots and lots of tomatoes, but they’re all green. When oh when will I see a little red; just a little to let me know the eventuality of ripeness is around the corner. Sigh….

My basil (both Thai and Sweet)…well, that is growing like a weed, as it should be. :o)

Anna June 19, 2009 at 8:42 am

We grow all types of tomatoes in our garden. We can’t wait either, Amy.

Melissa – love fresh basil, too. I make my own pesto sauce every year and freeze a ton of it.

Amy June 19, 2009 at 8:30 am

Mike – Oh, yes we have huge rabbit, squirrel, and bird problems. My love affair ended with all of them a few years ago when they completely destroyed everything and it was too late in the season to start over.

Paul, husband and jack of all trades, built me wonderful wooden/wire cages (with doors, even!) to keep the critters out, but allow me easy access. No more problems. For me, anyway.

Helen June 19, 2009 at 7:38 am

There is NOTHING like fruit and veggies from one’s very own garden. Everything tastes like candy. I share in your anticipation.

Terry June 19, 2009 at 7:06 am

If you’re growing cherry tomatoes, they should be ready soon. I like to eat them right off the vine – they rarely make it to my kitchen.

Lisa June 18, 2009 at 11:01 pm

During the winter time I hate having to spend all that money on herbs from the grocery store. I’m still trying to figure out a way to grow them inside my house. I know people do it. Yeah for spring!

Melissa June 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Oh I cannot WAIT for the tomatoes to come. I don’t have any kind of space in which I can grow them myself, but my coworker constantly shares his bounty with me. I am dying with anticipation. I never even knew I loved tomatoes until he started giving me his home grown ones last year. That grocery store garbage is just that! Garbage!

Oh and basil. Yummy, sturdy basil leaves. *Sigh*