Root Beer Floats

Post image for Root Beer Floats

by Amy Flanigan on July 1, 2009 · 19 comments

It’s summer. And it’s July. And it’s National Ice Cream Month, of course.

To honor this most awesome celebration, I decided to make Root Beer Floats.

No recipe required. All you need are a few items:

1. Root beer.
2. Vanilla ice cream.
3. Whipped cream (optional.)
4. Tall glass.
5. Spoon or straw.

Doesn’t that sound good?

Wait…you don’t like root beer? Hmm. Maybe you could use cherry cola instead. You don’t like ice cream? Well, there’s probably a twelve-step program for that.

Rebecca (Foodie With Family) November 13, 2009 at 9:01 am

Wait. The whipped cream is OPTIONAL? Since when?

It’s no longer summer, but I’m thinking a root beer float could still be just the thing to lift our spirits. I’ll just wear gloves while I hold the glass!

krysta July 3, 2009 at 7:36 pm

okay, i don’t like ice cream… sue me but i love root beer floats when my husband and i were first married he’d make me these for breakfast in bed. i know it sounds strange but it really is quite the good breakfast!!! and the picture is great.

ps… how come i didn’t know about this blog until you commented! i feel like a loser.

JoAnn July 3, 2009 at 8:42 am

Great photo! The weathered wood and the silver spoons – - does so much to bring the recipe to life.

We always wet our mugs first then place in the freezer so they’re nice and frosty.

Carolyn July 2, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Beautiful photo! As classic as the float itself. I hope all those spoons have their own mugs coming, because I ain’t sharing!

Shannon L July 2, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Aww, a simple oldie but goodie. Now if only someone could find a way to get rid of that nasty film that forms over the bubbles when they sit

Sherri July 2, 2009 at 6:55 pm

It’s also very good with red birch beer!

Nancy July 2, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Ice cream, check. Root beer, check. Glass, check. Spoon, check. Great weather, check. We are set for tonight and a great evening out on the porch. Hooray!

Julie July 2, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I could have one every day.

Helen July 2, 2009 at 11:15 am

There’s an ice cream shop near our house and I always take the kids there in the summertime after a game. They have all kinds of malts and sodas. The floats are a favorite. Silly thing is, I never thought of making them myself at home!

Jude July 2, 2009 at 9:25 am

All hail the great and wonderful root beer float! Anyone not already under the spell of ice cream needs to sign up for Paul’s 12-step Program.

Mike July 2, 2009 at 7:23 am

I wonder how one would taste with the Caramel Cookie Praline from The Edina Creamery? Then again, why pollute the taste of that ice cream with root beer?

Sharon July 2, 2009 at 9:13 am

National Ice Cream month?!!!!! Where was I when this was declared? As a teenager (many, many ice cream floats ago) my dad used to make them. This has triggered a very nostalgic memory.

Tastestopping July 2, 2009 at 8:09 am

What a great reminder to put some fun back into summer (which can be filled with a lot of bugs, sunscreen, bored/hot kids, bored/hot adults, you get the idea…) We have lots of vanilla ice cream in the freezer and one orange creme soda. Think that would work? I do! (Of course, I’m the one who likes orange creme soda!)

Anyway, I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor

Tara July 2, 2009 at 8:06 am

Great idea for the upcoming holiday weekend.

Megan July 2, 2009 at 7:17 am

I think I read someplace that Regan also considered ice cream nutritious. Silly man. Either way, dedicating an entire month to this delight was one thing he did right.

Steph July 2, 2009 at 7:05 am

OMG, I cannot remember the last time I had a root beer float. Years! It reminds me of when I was high school age and my friends and I would sneak into this drive-in movie place near our house. We would sit on this scarce lawn area and make floats (easily portable) and hope we didn’t get caught.

What fun. Thanks for the reminder!

Paul July 2, 2009 at 6:48 am

Step 8: Get up the next day
Step 9: Eat some ice cream
Step 10: East some more
Step 11: Lick the bowl
Step 12: Be happy that you now love ice cream

Lisa July 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Of course July is Ntl. Ice Cream month. Does every food have it’s own month? Anyway, I have no problem paying homage to this one. Love this!

Cheryl July 1, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Ha ha!! So true, Amy. So true.