Sweet Potato, Corn and Jalapeno Bisque

Post image for Sweet Potato, Corn and Jalapeno Bisque

by Amy Flanigan on November 2, 2009 · 20 comments

I run across so many recipes every month that interest me. I tear (or print) them out, and set them aside, knowing I will eventually get to them. I have a huge stack on my desk. I’m looking at it right now.

Then there are the recipes that scream, “MAKE ME RIGHT NOW. OR ELSE!” The stack of recipes that have been waiting their turn get bumped. Again.

This one was a screamer. The picture, the description, the ingredients – a recipe trifecta. And it’s vegan, accommodating everyone. I altered it just a touch from the fabulous Everybody Likes Sandwiches and where she originally found it, here. I can’t explain it any better than she did. Velvet. The texture is pure velvet. And the flavors are an incredible mix of sweet and spicy. SooOOO good. (I also got to use my immersion blender – or “boat motor,” as I like to call it – which is always fun.)

However, right out of the starting gate, this dish posed a problem. The likelihood that Paul would enjoy it was very slim. Soups are not only at the bottom of his desired list, but sweet potatoes and yams aren’t on that list at all. I thought maybe, just maybe, since they’re pureed, than that would change his mind. Well, guess what? He…drum roll, please…still hated it. Sigh.

He was a great sport, though, pretending to like it in front of the kids, so they wouldn’t be jaded. And they loved it. Then when we were all finished, he secretly made himself a PB&J sandwich.

If you are serving this to kids, keep in mind it’s spicy. You might want to cut back on the jalapeno or cayenne pepper, depending on their tastes. Or just fix them a PB&J, too. More of this golden delicious soup for you.

Print this recipe.

S September 27, 2010 at 11:18 am

I am seeing your recipe over a year later, and it is really great. If husband and kids prefer peanut butter, try adding 1) a little minced fresh ginger along with the onions, and 2) about 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter at the end, when you are pureeing the soup.

Then it becomes even more amazingly good, like a West African peanut stew. It also ups the nutrition.

Dawn November 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Made this tonight – yum! yum! And easy! Thanks. Found your site thru Joy the Baker – will be marked as a fav.

food-4tots November 8, 2009 at 9:21 am

This soup looks and sounds delicious to me as all the ingredients used are my favourite. You have such a supportive hubby!

Cate O'Malley November 5, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I’m totally there with you, with many stacks and stacks of recipes to try. This looks like the perfect thing to take the chilly Fall edge off.

Joanne November 4, 2009 at 7:15 am

That does look like velvet. Absolutely 100% creamy delicious heaven. And what great ingredients. You had me at sweet potatoes, but the corn and jalapenos don’t hurt either.

At least your husband was a good sport! You can’t please everyone. Except of course with PB+J.

Mike November 3, 2009 at 8:51 am

The photo looks good, but I really don’t like sweet potatoes or yams, so I’ll probably have to pass on this one.

jive turkey November 3, 2009 at 9:38 am

Add this to my massive list of recipes from your site that I am dying to try someday…

Amy November 3, 2009 at 9:06 am

Mike – you, Paul, and my brother in-law all anti sweet potatoes. If you tell me you don’t like corned beef and cabbage, I’ll swear you three were separated at birth.

Natashya November 3, 2009 at 7:50 am

I love the flavour combination – especially the addition of jalapeno, my favourite!

Paul November 3, 2009 at 6:31 am

For the record, I thought it was velvet as well.

Velva November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm

This looks like a fabulous warm and comforting soup! Just stunning! Love it!

Amy November 2, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Seriously, everyone – this was fantastic. Don’t miss out on making this one soon.

Kickpleat – love your blog. I have SO many recipes from you that are waiting in the wings.

Frenchie – isn’t it crazy how much we collect recipes, with the intention of making them, but then don’t. There’s just not enough meals in the day!

Julie- you would absolutely love this. Make it! Now!

Dani – I think the creaminess of the sweet potatoes is what make it more of a bisque than a soup, but tomato/tamawtoe, right? Paul is definitely a keeper, for sure. You have an excellent week, also!

Dani November 2, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I’ve never even thought of sweet potatoes in soup – Yum! And isn’t it great that your husband doesn’t make faces in front of the kids if he doesn’t care for something? He sounds like a keeper. Have a good week, Amy!

Julie November 2, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Oh My Amy… I don’t know if you know how much I love soup in the winter. Can’t WAIT to try this one!! Thanks!

Frenchie November 2, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I am a recipe bookmarking/tearing freak, sometimes I scare myself because I worry that when I die I will have more recipes on my “to make” list than on my “made” list. That being said, I don’t think this soup will last on my “to make” list very long, it sounds like something I want right away.

Jennifer November 2, 2009 at 6:45 pm

This looks so yummy! Jay may or may not eat this, as he’s not a fan of the sweet potato, but maybe the jalapeno will sway him.

kickpleat November 2, 2009 at 12:06 pm

So glad you loved the soup as for your husband, oh well! My husband felt the same way but he hates almost all soups.

Jude November 2, 2009 at 11:26 am

Yum. This appears to be a perfect autumnal soup. And I appreciate that it’s veg, thankyouverymuch! Can’t wait to try it.

daphne November 2, 2009 at 10:28 am

Maple Syrup? interesting!!! Certainly the sugar would balance out the spiciness? =) This is MY kind of soup-thick and full of ingredients.

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie November 2, 2009 at 7:53 am

The combination of sweet potato, corn & jalapeno sounds fantastic! I love the sweet & spicy flavors! Excellent soup!