Pumpkin Muffins with Cranberries and Pecans

Pumpkin Muffins with Cranberries and Pecans | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on November 9, 2009 · 22 comments

I recently read that there is an expected shortage of canned pureed pumpkin this year. Whether this is actually true, remains to be seen, but naturally, I panicked. An immediate trip to the market was in order, where I purchased ten (15 ounce) cans. I did say panicked, right? Um, ya.

I love pumpkin pie, but I won’t be feeding enough people this Thanksgiving to make ten of them. (Although, it would be awesome. That many people…AND that many pies.) Instead, I focused my search on another marvelous baked good. Muffins.

This Betty Crocker recipe jumped out at me with a big, “Hello. I have pumpkin puree in me. And did you notice that I also have cranberries and pecans?” A muffin that totally jives with the season. Sounded perfect.

And they were. Sweet, but not pumpkin pie sweet. Moist. Fantastic flavor and texture combo with the added nuts and cranberries. And easy peasy prep. All around good.

I have actually made them five times already, just in the last week or so. Not kidding. The first dozen was for breakfast, then they came with me to pick up Haley from school, I made them for my friend Chelsey, got a batch ready for my mom’s visit, and I have some cooking right now.

The obnoxious number of cans doesn’t seem so silly anymore. Well, maybe. But, it just means I need to find other uses for the pumpkin (twist my arm) or make more of these muffins (oh, darn shoot heck.)

Pumpkin Muffins with Cranberries and Pecans
Makes 12 muffins
Total time: 35 minutes

• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
• 1/2 cup canola oil
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup dried cranberries
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 regular-sized muffin cups with cooking spray, or line with paper baking cups.

In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Stir in pumpkin, oil, eggs, cranberries and pecans just until moistened (do not over mix!) Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.

Bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Note: Do not overmix! Your muffins will come out hard or rubbery. Try folding the batter together with a spatula until combined.

(adapted from Betty Crocker)

Dad November 22, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Mom made these this morning. They’re fantastic! Light and just sweet enough, and with so few calories, I could eat a dozen. She only let me have two. Mean ol’ Mom.

rebecca November 14, 2009 at 5:57 pm

oh what great muffins love your blog great layout

tracieMoo November 14, 2009 at 12:55 am

They look gorgeous there. I love anything to do with cranberry muffins. Sounds pretty healthy too.. :)

Amy November 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Dawn – I love that you came back. I’m actually thinking of altering the next batch (and oh yes, there will be another batch), where I use plain yogurt instead of the oil. Or maybe 50/50. See what that does to the flavor and texture. Not that these babies need altering…

Dawn November 11, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Promise I am not cyber stalker – but….I made these too. They were a hit. I was worried they were going to be on the dry side so I whipped up cinnamon cream cheese spread-just in case. Pleased to report – not necessary.

daphne November 11, 2009 at 5:53 pm

ooo.. sounds savory with a touch of sweetness from the cranberries- nice choice! I didnt know puree pumpkin exists in cans!

Karine November 10, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Your muffins sound delicious. Great combo of flavors!

Screamin' Mama November 10, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Looks so yummy and healthy too. I’ll have to try this soon.

Mike November 10, 2009 at 9:36 am

They have pumpkins, cranberries and pecans in them. Add Turkey and potatoes to the batter and these could BE thanksgiving dinner on their own. ;)

Dad November 10, 2009 at 10:24 am

They look simply MAHvelous, but could you substitute Melissa’s 10 cans of hahaha for the squash? Your photos are getting better and better. You’ve made muffins made from pumpkins look good enough to eat.

And tell Nana that my grandchildren are as good as her grandchildren and that by Friday the walking brick is going to learn to climb out of his crib. He’s already mastered The Button. Such a genius. But then, look who taught him. Mistress Haley. Little angles. All kids know the little angles.

Amy November 10, 2009 at 10:19 am

Dani – love, love, love that my mom is here. The only thing better would have been if my Dad could have joined her. OR if they could come BACK for Thanksgiving!

Joanne – $1/can? For real? THAT is a great deal. Although, if I had seen those prices, I probably would have bought 20 cans.

Lisa – I over mixed for years. Could not for the life of me figure out how to incorporate all the ingredients without mixing and mixing and mixing. One day I decided to use the technique for waffle and pancake batter when you use eggs whites, by folding everything together with a spatula, instead of a wooden spoon or whisk. It worked like a charm.

Mike – HA! That is so true. Compact, portable, Thanksgiving meal.

Kathleen – I mentioned in my earlier comment about pancakes. Excellent idea. And I’m in the Annabelle camp…chocolate chips sounds awesome.

Kathleen November 10, 2009 at 9:37 am

I will definitely make these this weekend for breakfast…and dessert. Amy, how about pumpkin pancakes with some of that puree? Annabelle likes them with chocolate chips, but me?…straight up with warm maple syrup. Mmmm

Lisa November 10, 2009 at 9:04 am

Love a good muffin. Portable and just he energy boost I need in the morning. This one seems like a really good in between (not to sugary, but not ultra healthy), and perfect for Thanksgiving as Helen mentioned. I have to learn not to over mix the batter. Mine always turn out too hard. What’s the trick???

Joanne November 10, 2009 at 7:27 am

I have been hearing about this shortage for a long time but have not actually seen any decrease in the amount of canned pumpkin. Nonetheless, I too stocked up. I have four cans sitting on my bookshelf. And you have inspired me to go to Whole Foods and buy 6 more. They are only a dollar a can there, so no biggie!

These muffins sound delicious. I love the cranberry/pecan additions. So seasonally delicious.

Dani November 10, 2009 at 1:20 am

Amy, I am sooo happy for your family to have Nana for a visit! It’s lovely that she’s there before the holidays so that you can all really enjoy your time together. Have fun!

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie November 9, 2009 at 9:05 pm

These must be exceptionally good if you made them five times! I love the cranberries and pecans here!

Amy November 9, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Mellissa – I agree. But they all seem to be in baked goods and soups. Oh wait…I just thought of pancakes!

Nana – YOU ARE A LIFESAVER. THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE.

Natashya – it’s all about marketing and money. You are SO right. And see, I got sucked into it.

Helen – I think these would be a fabulous replacement to serving bread at Thanksgiving. Thanks for the idea.

Melissa – it’s actually 6 times now. Crazy, right? They are my new favorite muffin. And they’re not really that sweet, so you might even like them.

Melissa November 9, 2009 at 3:53 pm

5 times??? Damn woman, you really are all about the sweets. I can’t believe you bought 10 cans hahahaha.

Even I have to admit – these look awesome. Really, really awesome.

Helen November 9, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I’m adding these to my Thanksgiving menu. What a great replacement (or addition) for regular bread that I usually serve. And how cute is your Nana?

Natashya November 9, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I think the pumpkin people start this stuff up to drive up sales!
The muffins look delish, I love cranberries in muffins and quickbreads.

Nana November 9, 2009 at 1:47 pm

This is another winner. Amy had these yummy muffins waiting for my arrival. Being full from her delicious dinner, I decided to have just half a muffin for dessert. However, at 11:30 pm, I couldn’t resist finishing off the other half! Hearing my movement so late at night, Paul came to see if I was ok. I had to admit that I was eating muffins…..he just laughed. Now another batch is cooling, and I envision my waistline expanding. Oh well, it’s worth it. Thanks Amy. By the way, my grandchildren are fabulous.

Mellissa November 9, 2009 at 10:23 am

There are so many uses for pumpkin there is no such thing as an excess!