Spinach and Feta Casserole

Post image for Spinach and Feta Casserole

by Amy Flanigan on March 29, 2010 · 12 comments

Dear Minnesota,

What? Don’t look at me like that. You saw the signs. You knew it was coming. And someone has to step up to the plate and admit that we are in an unhealthy relationship….which. must. end.

I am not dismissing all your wonderful qualities, which are plentiful. And I know you’ve been fairly good to me, even though I’ve never really appreciated you.

But, Minnesota, I can’t stand the cold anymore. I mean, in most states, winter spans a normal 3-month season. How can you justify significantly dropping the temperature in October and not raising it again until June? I’m sorry, but I never intended to live my life as an Eskimo.

And why must you be so far from my family, with Delta (otherwise known as the worst airline EVER) as your main transport? That’s just mean.

I know I’ve teased you before, but I assure you – this time, I will not be back. Oh sure, maybe for a weekend here and there. But my extended stays are over.

I will, however, be clinging holding onto my Midwestern friends, who hopefully, someday will see the light and join me on the West Coast.

I’ll also be taking some of your creamy, artery-clogging, marvelous casserole dishes. Like this one. It’s possibly the only time I will ever get my family to eat spinach. And for that, I am grateful.

A Fond Farewell,
Amy

Spinach Feta Casserole
Total time: 1 hour

• 3 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups cottage cheese
• 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and very well drained
• 1/3 cup crumbled feta
• 1/3 cup diced onion
• 1/4 cup melted butter
• 3 tablespoons flour
• Dash of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 1 1/2- quart casserole dish and set aside. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and then transfer to the greased dish. Bake, uncovered, for about 45 minutes or until the center is nearly set.

(originally from Better Homes and Gardens…I think.)

Lana October 19, 2010 at 3:04 am

Thanks. I’ll try to translate and put this recipe on my website.

daphne March 31, 2010 at 9:13 am

ooo.. I hope that means you r keeping warm!! This pie would have put some warmth in any cold body though! =) Love anything pipping hot at winter!

Amy March 31, 2010 at 9:06 am

Jude – wish I could have taken you with me.

Melissa – Thanks, M. Hate being so out of touch. Can’t wait to relax…oh, wait, I don’t know how to do that. Okay, I can’t wait to get back into a normal routine.

Melissa March 30, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Kisses and hugs.

Because of the recipe.

MMMMMM SPINAAAAACH.

:) Lots of love, Amy, and I hoe you guys settle in quickly!

Jude March 30, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Minnah-SO-tah misses you, Amy. Glad you got to take some of it with you in the form of lifelong friendships and hot dishes.

What did Vogue’s Anna Wintour say about us? We’re built like little houses on the prairie? This casserole will make sure of it. :)

Amy March 30, 2010 at 12:52 pm

LK – Not in the new home yet…in transit at my parent’s house. BUT got through a 4 hour flight with the two kids, so that’s one ordeal down!

Lo – Even though I’m from Cali and moving back, Minnesota is part of me now. It is a wonderful place. I even have part of the accent flavor. Dubliner…yummy.

Joanne – I’m excited that next winter, snow will be a choice for us!

Mike – Ha! So true, right. I didn’t think I’d be back a second time, but… Sorry we didn’t get to see you one last time.

Dani – Thanks, Dani! Can’t wait to get our things!! Already tired of suitcases and plastic bags. The kids are loving being at Nana and Papa’s, though – so many things to touch…that they shouldn’t ;-)

Dina – Same. I should buy stock in Kleenex.

Mike March 30, 2010 at 7:55 am

Never say “never again,” Amy. Best of luck to you, Paul, the kids and dogs in CA. Luckily, in this day and age of blogs and email, it’s easy to stay in touch so I’ll look forward to updates on how everything’s going for you.

Dina March 30, 2010 at 9:23 am

I miss ya already knowing you’re not here.

Dani H March 30, 2010 at 9:02 am

*shaking my pom poms* Cheering you on as you move back West! I’m really happy for you and all of your family, Amy. Can’t wait until you’re settled in so that you can have some well-deserved relaxation in the warmer clime! Take care, honey. *hugs*

Joanne March 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Good luck with the move chica! And at least you got to experience the midwest. For a little bit. At least long enough to get their casserole recipes. And then share them. With me. So that I never have to live there.

K thanks!

This looks delicious. Creamy, cheesy…what more can you ask for in comfort food?

lo March 29, 2010 at 11:56 am

You can take the Girl out of the Midwest, but you can’t take the Midwest out of the Girl. That’s what I say.

Just made a spinach casserole much like this last week — only I used some Irish Dubliner cheese, rather than the feta. Can’t beat cheesy veggie casserole, especially in the dark days of winter.

Food-4Tots March 29, 2010 at 11:42 am

I will definitely suffer more than the artery clogging if I still continue looking at your mouth-watering casserole. Hope you and your family settle well in your new home. ;)