Grilled Cheese on Rye with Green Chilies

Post image for Grilled Cheese on Rye with Green Chilies

by Amy Flanigan on May 3, 2010 · 16 comments

There is always a plethora of different cheese in my frig. And bread. Always. I have an absolute weakness for grilled cheese sandwiches. (My kids…not so much. It’s seriously questionable whether they are actually four and two. Or share my DNA. But they are. And they do. I’m witness to it every day.)

I make them, anyway. With reckless abandon, and at least once a week.

So whenever I hear someone talking about grilled cheese, or I see it on a menu, or I discover some new combination that never occurred to me, it’s like I stop dead in my tracks. I must take notes immediately.

You all love Pioneer Woman, right? Who doesn’t. She calls this her favorite sandwich. Naturally, I had to see what the fuss was about.

What can I say? Usually our dinner table is filled with talk and commotion, but this sandwich left us sort of quiet. Engulfed. Enjoying every bite. I totally get you, PW.

Nom nom nom.

Notes: I stayed pretty true to her ingredients, but completely changed the cooking method so the bread would be crisp and not soggy. I also added salami to Paul’s.

Print this recipe (slightly adapted from Pioneer Woman)

Sophia August 30, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I remember when I was kid, I would eat grilled cheese sandwiches at least 3 times a week! Haha! Thanks for sharing your recipe! It looks delicious. Now, I’m all about this Italian Grilled Cheese and Tomato. Hope you enjoy it too!

Amy May 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Daphne – I know, right? So simple and versatile. The possibilities are endless and a snap to make.

Joanne – Thank you, sweetie! I’ll take all the wishes, belated and otherwise, I can get.

Lo – Hahaha. I try not to read certain food blogs at night, either. It’s murder on my thighs.

Dani – Oh me, oh my. I had to read that twice. Peanut butter, cheddar cheese and sweet pickle relish? That sounds absolutely disgusting. And now I must try it. (And you flatter me once again! Should I start paying you? ;-)

Dani H May 10, 2010 at 6:12 pm

HeHe! Your dad cracks me up no end! Paul had me till he got to “poking dead things with a stick” ~ I don’t even want to know. I LOVE grilled cheese {so does EVERY one in my family, fortunately.} I’m happy without the chilies, though. One of my favorites is cheddar cheese, peanut butter and sweet pickle relish. I know, I know, it sounds gross ~ but it’s really good, especially with chunky peanut butter. ;-P I like the Pioneer Woman, but not nearly as much as I do you! Hope you’re having a great day/week/life in California! *hugs*

lo May 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Alright. You’ve got me ooohing and ahhhing… which is what I get for reading blogs too close to dinner time. But, cheese and chiles??!! How can I resist?

Joanne May 10, 2010 at 6:00 am

Happy belated mother’s day sweetie!

daphne May 7, 2010 at 7:47 am

Grill cheese sandwich! I love it!!! Simple pleasures in life for sure!

ps- I am curious about the pioneer women too. hmmm.. but will loook out for what u mentioned.

Amy May 4, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Dad/Jude – If you’re not familiar with The Pioneer Woman, wait another year. You can watch her true life story unfold on the big screen. I believe she’s being played by Reese Witherspoon.

Jude May 4, 2010 at 10:33 am

I’m with Pops, who’s Pioneer Woman? I’m afraid to Google her for what might appear on my screen here in Corporate America.

But cheese and bread? Bring it. All that’s needed is a bottle of red to wash it down. The three main food groups, IMHO: Bread. Cheese. Wine.

Dad May 4, 2010 at 10:19 am

Okay, I’m getting really old. #1. I don’t know who or what Pioneer Woman is. Was that the one with Jane Seymour, Medicine Woman, who cured people who ate too many chiles or was there another one with a little house on the prairie, needed for people who ate too many chilies?

#2 I don’t know what the “frig” you’re talking about. “Fridge,” however, was short for Frigidaire, a brand of refrigerator made between 1916 and 1979, and once owned by General Motors. In the 20s on, “fridge” referred to all refrigerators. Frigg goes back to a Nordic fertility goddess, and non one here wants to go there.

#3 You make these once a week with Paul, aka Reckless Abandon. And now you, he, and one kid make those funny sounds when you eat, num, num, num. I’ve been there, and it’s twue, it’s twue.

All that said, it sounds yummy, but we don’t have a toaster oven anymore, and I’m not allowed near the larger appliances. So, I’ll just have to wait for the Munchkin to cook me up a few once the rye bread salesman shows up at the door again. Mom won’t let me go to the grocery store, especially Costco, ’cause she’s afraid I’ll come home with a 200 pound bag of trail mix (the one with M&Ms) and forget the bread.

I hope you’ve all learned something this morning, children. So, until next time, class dismissed and Happy Trails to You. I have to make a bowl of Sugar Pops.

Amy May 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Greg – I did a double take when I saw your name here, Greg. Truly humbled that you came for a visit…I love your blog.

sippitysup May 3, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Really outstanding. Really. GREG

Amy May 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Natasha – Long live the grilled cheese! Ha.

Astrid – Gruyere makes me weak in the knees…that’s one of those cheeses that always occupies frig space. That would turn me back around, too.

Paul – Seriously…are you sure these kids belong to us? If you didn’t like grilled cheese, I would divorce you.

Joanne – Crazy, right? They also don’t like potatoes!! WHAT UP? I’m having a slight love affair with The Pioneer Woman. It’s borderline unhealthy.

Joanne May 3, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I don’t understand this not liking grilled cheese. Business. Are you sure they are human?

I haven’t tried this PW recipe yet but it’s on the list. Along with every. Other. Recipe. Which reminds me. I have some cheddar I need to use up. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

Paul May 3, 2010 at 12:13 pm

My version with the Salami was absolutely excellent. I’m not a big fan of the texture of green chilies on a sandwich like that, so the salami was great.

I also like candles, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.

Astrid May 3, 2010 at 11:52 am

That looks amazing. I love grilled cheese sandwiches. You want to know something sad? Recently, I went through a phase where I was not eating much cheese at all. Then, I stumbled upon a block of Gruyere on clearance, and fell back in love. We actually had a fondue night last night. So all is back in place in my cheese loving world!

5 Star Foodie May 3, 2010 at 8:40 am

Grilled cheese with green chilies sound excellent! We definitely love grilled cheese here!