Mini Donut Muffins

Mini Donut Muffins on www.veryculinary.com

by Amy Flanigan on June 15, 2010 · 36 comments

If I was into bumper stickers, I could have one that reads “My Dad is smarter than your Dad” or “My Dad is funnier than your Dad.” Or a double whammy, “My Dad is smarter and funnier than your Dad.”

Along side my first-rate mother, he gets some big time props for my excellent childhood, too.

He was the one who read us our bedtime stories.

He was the one who twirled us high into the air, spinning us round and round, as we squealed with joy.

He was the one that quizzed us on our state capitals to pass the time, waiting for the food to arrive.

He was the one my friends really came over to play video games with.

And he is the reason I have such an awesome appreciation for nature.

Oh, and I am certain I get my sweet tooth from him. If it’s smothered in frosting, made with almond paste, dipped in chocolate, mixed with candy, covered with whipped cream, or sprinkled with cinnamon, chances are my Dad is going to enjoy it.

So, I know he’s going to like these – mini donuts disguised as muffins – brushed with butter, rolled in a sugar/cinnamon combo, and filled with jam. Oh hi. The only part he won’t like is the “mini.” But not to worry…I’ll have 24 of them for Father’s Day.

He’ll share, though. Because…well…my Dad? My Dad is the cat’s pajamas. Like no other.

Mini Donut Muffins

• 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
For the cinnamon-sugar coating:
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Notes: This is not one of my typical 2 bowl/3 step recipe posts. There are more bowls, more incorporating ingredients, and yes…more thinking (gasp!) BUT this is still easy. And these are fan-friggin-tastic. Worth every extra second spent.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour 2 (12 cup) mini muffin tins.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and baking soda.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and buttermilk.

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. With the mixer set on low speed, beat in one fourth of the dry ingredients. Then beat in one third of the milk mixture. Continue to alternate until all ingredients are incorporated, finishing with dry ingredients. Do not over mix. The batter will be heavy, it’s ok.

Fill the prepared muffin cups just to the rim with batter. Bake until lightly golden and firm to the touch, 15-20 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the tin and transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet.

To coat the muffins: Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a resealable plastic bag. Brush each muffin generously with melted butter. Then place a few muffins in the bag with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Shake well to coat the muffins. Repeat.

Jelly Donut Muffins (optional): After the muffins are coated with the sugar/cinnamon mixture, use a small pastry tip to make a hole in the bottom of each muffin. Fill the pastry bag with your favorite jam and gently squeeze into the muffin.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

(originally from Evil Chef Mom)

Amy June 28, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Greg, Daphne, and Stacie – Thanks! I'm craving them again, too. They sure didn't last long.

A Little Yumminess June 28, 2010 at 2:26 am

These look AMAZING. I want one now….

daphne June 21, 2010 at 8:38 pm

well, it looks AWESOME! Hope your dad has a happy fathers’ day!

sippitysup June 18, 2010 at 10:08 am

The muffins look great. Makes me want to send some of that to my dad! GREG

Amy June 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Memoria – We’re pretty tight. And will fight anyone to the death if they mess with a family member. Well, not quite Soprano’s style, but you know….

Mike – “Some” (not one) being the operative word. Smart man.

Amanda – Ya…bite size. I ate 3 in one sitting, though. But I guess that’s better than eating 3 regular sized, right? These are to. die. for. Thanks for coming by!!

Mike June 17, 2010 at 11:23 am

Sign me up for some of those.

Amanda June 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Mmm, I love cinnamon donuts. These look so yummy and I love that they are bite size!

Memoria June 17, 2010 at 12:45 am

Aww, that’s so sweet what you, your dad and mom said about each other. I can feel the love. These muffins look delicious. I think I made something very similar, so I’m sure they are really good.

Amy June 16, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Kathy – Could be right. Hard to go wrong with butter. In any form.

Jeannette – Donut lovers unite! Great seeing over here…come back soon.

Mansi – Thanks, Mansi! I’ll check our your contest and send out a tweet.

Chloe – Be still my heart…I’m in a pool of drool over here reading that.

Chloe June 16, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I love “disguised” desserts! My absolute favorite is black forest brownie cheesecake angel food muffin chai latte!

Mansi June 16, 2010 at 1:57 pm

These are definitely on my to-do list! in fact, I’ve been looking for a tried-and-tested recipe, and now I know what to use!:) wonderful “Dad story”, btw:)

I’m hosting a Magic Bullet giveaway on my blog and it’d be great if you could participate!

hope to see you around:)

Jeannette June 16, 2010 at 12:35 pm

these truly sound amazing and i have a donut lover in my life as well that i have to try these for!!

Kathy - Cooking On the Side June 15, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I’ve tried these before and I must agree – they’re fantastic. I think it’s the melted butter brushed on top at the end that does it :-)

Amy June 15, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Margaret – Excellent point! So, I will now continue with the-stuffing-of-my-face, thankyouverymuch. Thanks for coming by, Margaret!

Melissa – Indeed. And I do know it :)

Melissa June 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm

You’re lucky to have such a wonderful dad. :)

margaret June 15, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Cat’s Pajamas?? I haven’t heard that one in ages….

these look great. And eating 4/5 minis doesn’t make you feel nearly as guilty as eating 4/5 full size.

Amy June 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Lora – Breakfast, lunch, dinner. 220, 221…whatever it takes. Name that movie???

Jude – Yes, can’t say enjoying dessert is a bad thing to inherit. Certainly beats the smoking gene, right?

Mom – You picked a good one, Mom. Which makes you both smart.

Steph – I think if everyone is trying them, there must be something to it. And, have mercy. There is. Make them…make them now!! Thanks for coming on over!

Steph June 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm

These are all the rage in the internets. I need to get with it and make these. They look GREAT!

Mom June 15, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I’m drooling right now and can’t wait to sample these on Sunday. I must agree that you have an awesome Dad and how nice of you to share with your readers.

Lora (Tripping with Kids) June 15, 2010 at 12:18 pm

A breakfast recipe and a dessert recipe. Score! A very sweet homage (sp?) to your dad too.

Jude June 15, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Amy, that was a fitting and proper Ode to Ethan!

I got the sweets gene from my dad too. It’s the best DNA.

Amy June 15, 2010 at 11:33 am

Dad – Graduated with honors? Gourmet cooks? Dad, I think you’re confused… oh, wait… you did get the part about fabulous kids and grandkids. Well, you know, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. You rock.

Jay – LOL. He could. He really could.

Cathy – OR…perhaps a guest post, a la Cathy? You could show us how it’s done. You can borrow my kitchen while you’re here. I promise I won’t be a backseat driver.

Jessica – Ha! Thanks, Jessica! My Nan and Papa are probably looking down on us, licking their chops. Thanks for coming by.

Dani – I love a donut, too. Filled with cream, or sprinkles on top, or coated with chocolate. Back in Minne, there was a donut shop walking distance from our house and Paul used to take Haley there every other Saturday as a treat. He misses it. And I guarantee she does, too. xoxox

Dani H June 15, 2010 at 11:20 am

Mmmmm…donuts! The second greatest food in the world {after pie, of course.} I MUST try these soon. A FABulous idea! Thank you, Amy! I hope you’re having a good week. *hugs*

Jessica June 15, 2010 at 11:09 am

Loved your post about your dad. Family is what it’s all about, ain’t it?
Mine was the greatest while he was here…now he’s kickin’ back waiting for the rest of his brood! ;-D

Cathy June 15, 2010 at 10:59 am

I’m waiting for the croissant beignet recipe next.

Jay June 15, 2010 at 10:34 am

Hey Paul, I’m guessing Trevor could best you by shoving at least two in his little pie hole at once.

Dad June 15, 2010 at 10:32 am

I’m so happy to see that overstimulating you two at bedtime resulted in the two greatest kids in the world who, because of my efforts, graduated with honors, learned to become gourmet cooks, married well, and brought up their dogs and kids as they should be. The only question I have is why my grandkids must go to sleep with the absence of sound and absolutely no tickling at bedtime. Hmmmm.

As for mini-donut muffins with cinnamon sugar, I can eat six in one bite! So there, Paul. Of course, I’ll pay for it by spending the rest of the week sitting overstuffed in my overstuffed chair, barely able to look at a treadmill. Oh, wait, we don’t have a treadmill. Okay, I’m set.

Love you both.

Amy June 15, 2010 at 9:55 am

Jen – I’m thinking half filled with raspberry jam and the other half with lemon curd. Mmm…it’s possible none of them will make it over to your house.

Paul – That and the rhyming, you could have a one man show.

Lo – He is pretty awesome. The only thing that would make him better is if he liked fish. And vegetables. But, salmon and cauliflower don’t go really well with donut muffins, brownies, cupcakes, and cookies.

lo June 15, 2010 at 9:51 am

Yum. Donut muffins rock. And so do awesome dads. Sounds like you guys got a keeper!

Paul June 15, 2010 at 9:44 am

I can eat one in a single bite.

It’s a gift.

Jen June 15, 2010 at 9:22 am

I can’t wait to eat these on Sunday! YUMSERS!

Yeah Ame, we got pretty lucky! :o)

Amy June 15, 2010 at 8:16 am

Joanne – You’d love these…and you can even fill yours with peanut butter if you want ;-)

Natasha – Oh, good call on the pairing with coffee. Yes.

Kim – Hello there, lovely! Wonderful seeing your name pop up. These made my cereal this morning seem pathetic, too. A Very Culinary bumper sticker and video…staring my Dad. It could go viral ;-)

Astrid – A glaze coating would be fantastic, too. Powdered sugar/cinnamon/maple syrup, maybe? Something like that. Hats off to all the awesome Dad’s. We’re lucky.

Astrid June 15, 2010 at 8:13 am

My dad would love those, too! Except I think he would like a glaze coating. Nothing better than a glazed donut for him. Plus it has fruit in the middle, has to be healthy! I love this post, mostly because I feel the same way about my daddy.

Kim June 15, 2010 at 8:04 am

I’m thinking your dad might like an I ? Very Culinary.com bumper sticker to go with his mini donuts. Actually, I would like one, too, but this is all about DAD, Dad, Dad. One day, perhaps we can meet Dad in a VC video.

These are making my cereal seem like a sad way to start the morning. I can smell the cinnamon from here.

5 Star Foodie June 15, 2010 at 7:37 am

Yummy mini donut muffins! I would love a few of those with my cup of coffee right now!

Joanne June 15, 2010 at 6:46 am

I think awesome dads warrant some excess thinking and bowl washing. And yours sounds like he fits the bill. I’m sure he will absolutely adore these! I know I would.

Actually I know I will. Because I will make these. And be very very happy about it.