Spicy Asian-Style Noodles with Clams

Post image for Spicy Asian-Style Noodles with Clams

by Amy Flanigan on June 22, 2010 · 25 comments

I think we’ve reached a new level in our blogger-reader relationship. Like we can talk. Share things. Can I tell you a secret…or two? And remember, friends don’t judge. (Well, sure they do. But they have to pretend like they don’t.)

I like Twinkies. And Ding Dongs. I do not care how bad they are for me. I don’t care how many preservatives they have in them. They are still yummy.

I absolutely have to wet my toothbrush before I put paste on it. I have to. And what’s worse – I’m making my kids do it, too. O.C.D.

I cannot stop reading in the middle of a chapter. Doesn’t matter if I’m struggling to keep my eyes open, barely soaking in the words. I could have eight long pages left, and I will continue until I get to that magical break.

I will actually spend precious time rearranging a fully loaded dishwasher (a la Paul.) In my defense, he has no idea how to load a dishwasher.

I have a thing for sesame oil. A recipe could call for even the slightest bit and it will still get my attention, and invariably end up in the “to-make” pile.

This particular dish has three tablespoons. Each one of them simply wonderful.

The broth has it all – sweet, sour, spicy, and salty. I couldn’t wait to get that next mound of pasta onto my fork. One of those kinds of dishes. I also enjoyed it the next day at room temperature.

Don’t like clams? Leave them out. Don’t like pasta? You could honestly forego that part, too (although silly.) The broth with some Italian bread would be happy happy.

Print this recipe (adapted from Pam at Sidewalk Shoes, originally from Epicurious.)

Jen June 29, 2010 at 4:43 pm

This dish is SO YUMMY! I made it Friday night and then AGAIN on Saturday night! Yes, I loved it *that* much. Oh, and it’s SO easy and quick!

I made a few of “adjustments”, though. I used cilantro rather than parsley, used hot chili sesame oil one night and “regular sesame oil the other night (I like the chili better), and used fresh grated ginger.

Grated Ginger Tip = buy fresh ginger, peel it, and then freeze it. when you need grated ginger for a recipe, just take it out of the freezer and grate it frozen. It grates much easier, freezes really well, and it’s always ready to go.

Amy June 26, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Lisa – Almond Joy…yum. I fight my kids for these at Halloween time. Recipe for the brownies on the way…

Natasha – Thanks!

Jessica – I’ve never been a fan of lima beans, but that gets me thinking of soy beans. I bet that would be yummy in this dish.

Kim – Come to think of, I wonder if *I* even load it correctly. I bet there’s a diagram someplace.

Kim June 25, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I always fix the “incorrect arrangement” in my dishwasher. It’s usually full, too, but, it’s all so wrong. Thank goodness Rich and I have so many other things in common, like loving sesame seed oil. I could leave out the clams and still love this recipe. But, the pasta- after it’s soaked up the sesame taste- oh that is too good to think of leaving out!

Jessica June 25, 2010 at 11:46 am

Yum! I don’t like clams so I would add some baby lima beans or even black beans…Delicious!

5 Star Foodie June 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm

We love sesame oil too! And this is a great dish, love the addition of clams!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary June 24, 2010 at 9:34 am

I’m all about the sesame oil too. LOVE IT! I have a great marinade that uses it.

Our newest obession is Almond Joy pieces. Little M&M Almond Joy’s that you can eat by the handful. It’s sinful I tell ya.

Hey….you have me tempted with the Cocoa Krispie Brownies woman…..recipe? Post? My kids love those things!

Amy June 23, 2010 at 12:33 am

Dani – What???? I take back what I said to Joanne, because you know I adore you. But, what? How do you not eat pasta?? That just isn’t right. My Mom made a lot of Asian dishes when I was growing up and it’s one of my favorite cuisines. I have two Linguine clam sauce dishes (one white and one red) that I love and make often. I haven’t had a Zinger in ages. Oh man, those are so good – and definitely fill my need for a coconut cream craving. The toothbrush thing…I feel in great company knowing everyone else is neurotic about it, too! xoxox

Rachel – Lol. Me too. And now I’ll be spending unnecessary money on these M&M’s and probably on other things, since Target is such a trap for me. Damn you, Rach! And what’s this…you have blog I knew nothing about. Will be right over to say hello.

Rachel June 22, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Yeah coconut and pretzel M&Ms just came out recently and they came out around the same time. There are big bags of pretzel M&Ms at Target, and small coconut ones at Rite Aid …I’m sure other places sell them as well.

The coconut ones just have the flava–no shredded coconut.

I need a life.

Dani H June 22, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I LOVE that you shared! One of J’s Zebra Sounds’ posts found that almost everyone wets their toothbrush before applying toothpaste, and many wet again before brushing.

Have you ever had Zingers? (Pink Twinkie-shaped white cakes with coconut) I made coconut cupcakes with raspberry jam centers for Jen’s birthday. I was in a rush so used a white cake mix and they tasted exactly like Zingers. My mother used to sell her cakes. Her most popular was one that the family still calls her “Ding Dong cake” ~ a chocolate sheet cake split and filled with chocolate pudding and whipped cream then frosted with a chocolate fudge frosting.

I don’t eat much pasta and, for some unknown reason, don’t care for noodles with Asian sauces. Your suggestion for skipping the noodles and using with bread sounds yummy! I learned to bake baguettes recently and love them with a roasted garlic soup/sauce so I’m sure this clam sauce would work great. I have a recipe for linguine with white clam sauce (white wine optional) that I made for Jen and Dan the night he proposed to her and is now a family standby. We all love the clams!

Pretzel M & M’s? Coconut M & M’s? Pretzel pancakes? Will wonder never cease?

*Super giant squishy hugs*

Amy June 22, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Jude – I fear you would wither away with Chopper cooking for you!

Rachel – Ha! You’re an excessive wet tooth-brusher. There’s probably an anonymous group for that somewhere. I love Whoppers. It’s my candy of choice whenever I go to the movies (which is almost never, but…) – I actually have a brownie recipe that incorporates Whoppers, which I must try soon. Ding Dongs, yes! Hostess is evil.

Lo – I make a mean red clam sauce that I love, but this one is very different than that. And wonderful. I didn’t know about the coconut M&Ms either. The things I found out through my readers! Reason enough to write a blog.

Jen – I wish! You taking the day off work? The pancakes, Jen, were light/fluffy. And it was a great sweet/salty combo. Really good.

Jen June 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Rachel – Coconut M&M’s? Hmmm…. I’m not much of a fan of coconut (I think it’s a texture thing), but my husband would die for these! I’ll have to try them.

Being an utter Whopper nut, the pretzel M&M’s taste nothing like them, but I do get the comparison with the ratio of chocolate to pretzel. :o)

Ame – So, um, (clears throat)…you’re coming over tomorrow morning to make those pancakes for me, right? ;o)

lo June 22, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Well, well. I never met a clam sauce I didn’t like… but I also never thought of taking this dish in an Asian direction. Very clever, Amy. I like your style.

Coconut m&m’s? I didn’t know such a thing even existed!

Rachel June 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm

That’s “wet” not “we.” And OMG I forgot to mention DING DONGS. Those. Are. AMAZING.

Rachel June 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Pretzel M&Ms are pretty good, but they remind me of Whoppers. Not a bad thing, but I wish there was more chocolate than pretzel. Jus’ sayin’. Now, coconut M&Ms…those are gooooood.

I’ll be the first to admit that I can’t load a dishwasher at all. Shawn scolds me all the time. But he rarely does the dishes, so oh well he has to suffer quietly.

This recipe looks like thebomb.com I have to try this! Thank you for sharing!

Oh, and I have to we the toothbrush before and after application of the toothpaste. Extra wet, I guess?

Jude June 22, 2010 at 12:28 pm

SuzieQs and Little Debbie Nutty Bars were my food staple until I met chef Chopper. Now he serves up balanced meals and tosses Pretzel M&Ms my way me to make me smile.

This spicey noodle dish is going to make me smile, too.

Amy June 22, 2010 at 11:24 am

Dad – Ha! Ah yes, Paul can’t load the dishwasher OR unload it properly. I will spend valuable time searching for my spatulas. I think I need to create a road map for him.

Andrea – I totally here ya, Andrea. It’s just that I have to rearrange Paul’s dishwasher mess or none of the dishes will get clean. In his defense, he is awesome at vacuuming, laundry, and cleaning the bathrooms.

Jen – Pretzel MnMs…what?? NO. When did these come out? p.s. I made those pretzel pancakes (from Cuisine at Home) this morning. Y.U.M.

Jen June 22, 2010 at 10:50 am

I’m suddenly hungry, and I just had breakfast. This looks SO yummy. I’ll be making it very soon, about which I’m sure Jay will be very happy, happy.

I wet my toothbrush *after* I put toothpaste on.
Ame – you don’t know Susie Q – OMG, *you* would LOVE them!
Have you tried the new pretzel MnM’s? OMG…EVIL yumminess!

Andrea June 22, 2010 at 10:16 am

OK, here’s a confession. I was not happy with the job my dishwasher was doing and found the manual (filed BEFORE I had a husband and child–I have no idea where it is now) and read the “Proper Loading” section.

My husband can’t load the dishwasher either. I’m always so happy when he does, though, I just say “Thank You” and try to move on without making improvements, because it hardly ever happens and I don’t want to discourage him. While “can’t” is better than “won’t” it’s really hard not to let it be!

Dad June 22, 2010 at 9:32 am

I put ding-dongs on my toothbrush and cut out the middle man. I can stop reading before I start and save all that time and trouble. I can load a dishwasher in record time: I just don’t know where all that stuff originally came from.

I half expected you to burst out in song like “They call me woman, W-O-M-A-N.”

As for 3 tbs of sesame oil, pasta, and clams, if Mom will make it, I will eat it. But first, I still have two cinnamon buns from last week.

Amy June 22, 2010 at 9:01 am

Pam – Am not familiar with a Susie Q, but now I must go in search of one.

Joanne – I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t like pasta, either.

Mellissa – I’m starting to think this is an inherit male problem. It’s like a puzzle, right?…All the pieces should fit nicely together. Why is it so difficult for them?

Mom – YES! Closet doors need to be closed. Good one.

Mom June 22, 2010 at 8:27 am

I also love sesame oil, so this looks like a great side dish for us. I put water on the toothbrush AFTER the toothpaste is applied and rearrange the dishwasher from my own loadings! Can’t stand the sweetness from Twinkies, but Ding Dongs might still be o.k….. haven’t had either in decades. Here’s another: I can’t stand to leave any closet doors open.

Mellissa June 22, 2010 at 7:58 am

My husband can not load the dish washer properly either, it drives me crazy ;)

Joanne June 22, 2010 at 6:36 am

Secret – I can’t speak to people who don’t like pasta. They shouldn’t exist.

Secret – I wet my toothbrush also. With hot water. Never cold. I actually really hate cold water. In general.

Not secret – Sesame oil. Amazing. Sesame oil with pasta. Even more amazing.

pam June 22, 2010 at 6:14 am

OMG! Every single one of your things is a big “ME TOO”!! Except I would have to add Susie Q’s to the list for number one. But seriously, everything else, spot on. Doesn’t everyone wet their toothbrush before brushing, AND there is a fine art to loading a dishwasher.