BBQ Deviled Eggs

Post image for BBQ Deviled Eggs

by Amy Flanigan on June 29, 2010 · 25 comments

Eggs are good for you. Eggs are bad for you. Eggs are good for you. Eggs are bad for you. And…eggs are good for you. That’s currently where we stand, right? No doubt there’s a lobbyist out there right now, though, securing funding to do more studies on how the egg will ruin our lives.

Until then, let’s enjoy these white and yellow ovals of protein. Actually, let’s enjoy them forever, and just throw the studies to the curb. Unless you’re eating a whole dozen in one sitting – and even then, it’s not like you’re ingesting carbon monoxide – how bad are they? Don’t answer that…I’m not listening.

Eggs….(you ready for my list?)…I love them scrambled, poached, sunny side up, fried, in stuff, on stuff, stuffed with stuff. And yes, I love them hard-boiled and devilish.

I’ve had deviled eggs with cayenne, dill pickles, jalapeño peppers, cucumber, bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, beets, cream cheese…

And now I have had them with BBQ sauce.

These are incredible. These are edible.

These are my new favorite!

BBQ Deviled Eggs
Makes 24 deviled eggs
Prep time: 20 minutes (assuming you’ve already cooked your eggs, which I suggest doing the day before and then peeling right before you’re going to use them.)

• 12 hard-boiled eggs
• 1/3 cup mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
• 1 1/2 tablespoons Honey BBQ Sauce
• salt and pepper to taste
• Paprika for garnish (optional)
• Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

Cut the eggs in half lengthwise and remove yolks; set whites aside.

Place all the yolks in a medium bowl and coarsely mash with a fork. Add the mayo, pickle relish, and barbeque sauce. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon or pipe* yolk mixture into the egg white halves. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley.

*Use a pastry bag or put filling into a plastic bag; cut a small hole in the corner and squeeze gently.

Tips for easier hard-boiled eggs:
1. Use eggs that are 7 days old.
2. Turn the carton of eggs on its side in the refrigerator the night before you cook them. It helps center the yolks.
3. Immediately after cooking, submerge the eggs into a ice-water bath and let sit until completely cool.

Amy July 7, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Lo – Now THAT would be awesome. Bacon makes everything better.

lo July 7, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Gotta tell you, Amy – We totally made these. And they’re awesome. Of course, we also added bacon… which made them even MORE awesome (it was for a bacon-themed 4th of July shindig).

I heart you.

Kim July 6, 2010 at 6:27 am

I bought all of the ingredients, but …the time got away from me (had to make two batches of BBQ b/c the first was left on the counter all night- I placed the blame squarely on some wide shoulders) and so we didn’t have ANY deviled eggs on the Fourth. Other than this, our weekend was fantastic. I hope yours was, too. This weekend, deviled eggs, here we come.

Dani H July 4, 2010 at 1:09 am

Yum! I wouldn’t have thought of this, but I love BBQ chicken and potato salad made with lots of eggs, so it sounds scrumptious! I love your tips! I only knew about putting them in ice water. My granddaughter LOVES deviled eggs, but my grandson only wants the whites (with all yolk wiped off.) I’m not sure that he’s actually related to me. ;-) I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July! *hugs*

Amy July 1, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Greg – Deviled eggs and fudge…I’d say your Dad knows good food.

Lo – Peef is a smart man…which of course makes you a smart gal. Naturally.

Amy – Target all the way, Baby! I have no restraint when I’m in there. Thanks for stopping by, Amy!

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) July 1, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I have that same deviled egg platter!! I love it! These look delicious!

lo July 1, 2010 at 9:27 am

OK — now tell me how in the world I missed these. They look delicious… and I’m going to bet Peef would totally swoon over them :)

sippitysup June 30, 2010 at 9:52 am

Deviled eggs remind me of my dad. It’s the only thing he ever cooked, well that and fudge. I doubt his version ad BBQ sauce though. GREG

Amy June 30, 2010 at 9:51 am

Paul – Ditto. Hey, you know our neighbor owns a hen. I wonder if she lays eggs?…she could mysteriously go missing…;-)

Lisa – Oooh, I will have to check that out for sure. And, I can believe the rioting.

Kim – I agree. Deviled eggs and the 4th of July weren’t meant to be married for some reason. Are they both all American? I don’t know. I think they just satisfy a huge group. Make them! I dare you. And if your friends turn their noses, you can totally blame me.

Kim June 30, 2010 at 6:28 am

There’s no better weekend of the year for deviled eggs and BBQ devils sound bizarre but possibly brilliant. So now my taste buds are curious. I wasn’t planning on making deviled eggs, only because someone else will usually do the same, but it’s a long weekend and at some point, we all need more than a couple deviled eggs to truly celebrate our independence. What the heck. (Had to censor myself) The devil is making me do it. I’ll let you know what the lake crowd thinks.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary June 29, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I did a whole post once on the fact that we can’t have a party here without deviled eggs. Once, just once, I skipped making them and OMG the wrath that was thrust upon me!! These look wonderful!

Paul June 29, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I don’t care what kind of hen these little bad boys come from. I want to own one.

Amy June 29, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Dad – Oh yes! I’ve had them with Worcestershire sauce, too. That’s the classic way to make them, no? Very good.

Lynda – Deviled eggs are so perfect for a get together. Bite sized, but really filling appetizers. These are difficult to share!

Jude – Along with a hefty price tag, but yes, I’m sure that’s true. Also, I’ve heard that fresh eggs…like right out of the hen herself…taste amazing. (Although fresh eggs are not good for deviled egg usage – too hard to peel.)

Jude June 29, 2010 at 1:32 pm

The good egg –

I read recently that organically fed, free-range hens produce eggs containing 3X more protein and 1/3 less cholesterol than their caged, steroid-pumped cousins.

Lynda June 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm

We have an annual Fouth of July BBQ and I hope to have these, but then maybe I’d rather have them just for us! Yum!

Dad June 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

I can handle anything but chili powder. That said, have you tried adding just a touch of Worsterseshirersr sauce? Mmmmmmm, mmm, good.

Amy June 29, 2010 at 10:27 am

Mom/Dad – I guess it sounds weirder to you guys than it did to me. Hmm. It wasn’t an over-powering flavor. It was tangy and sweet…and really, really good. We’re talking 1 1/2 tablespoons here…you can handle that!!!

Mom June 29, 2010 at 10:15 am

This is a new take on deviled eggs. I might try it on a few before tainting the whole batch!
I never stopped eating eggs and am trying to ignore the negative studies that bombard us regularly.

Dad June 29, 2010 at 10:05 am

The bad egg lobbyists are just that, bad eggs.

I like mine in the original form. When it comes to putting BBQ sauce on a perfectly good deviled egg, that’s gilding the lily, and I’ll take mine without the option. It’s like a moon roof on a car that you never take out at night. Or a sun roof in Minneapolis, eh?

If they were really bad for you, would Pottery Barn sell a Deviled Egg Platter, I ask you?

I’ll take a dozen, please. Just paprika and a chair. Seriously, somebody ought to open a Deviled Egg Emporium.

Amy June 29, 2010 at 9:25 am

Sarah – I find that boiling the eggs the day before, and than peeling them right before you’re going to prepare the deviled eggs, makes the entire process seem shorter and much less tedious. Your mimosa version sounds good, too!

Pam – Having a gathering for the 4th of July? These would be perfect!

Cathy – I wish I had some left over, I would eat these for breakfast too. Actually, I wish you were still here…I need more help than just Paul to polish off 24 of these bad boys.

Joanne – My thoughts exactly!! Thankyouverymuch.

Joanne June 29, 2010 at 6:45 am

I’m always seriously irritated by the egg debate. People have been eating them for years. Probably since the caveman days. I think they’re probably one of the healthiest protein sources out there. Way better than steak.

Now I want some deviled eggs! Love the barbecue FLAVA.

Cathy June 29, 2010 at 6:44 am

This picture makes me want deviled eggs for breakfast. Yum!

pam June 29, 2010 at 5:57 am

I love deviled eggs, but only make them for picnics or barbeques! Need to make more just for myself!

sarah June 29, 2010 at 1:10 am

Beautiful! I love eggs, too. Especially stuffed with stuff (when I can be bothered) and hard boiled on my salad.