Brown Butter Mixed Berry Muffins

Post image for Brown Butter Mixed Berry Muffins

by Amy Flanigan on July 27, 2010 · 21 comments

Paul can tell when I get a hankering to bake. I must develop some twinkle in my eye. Or maybe it’s a twitch. Either way, he responds…by occupying the kids.

Baking requires a lot of brain cell usage for me. This means I need concentration. Kids occupied=concentration.

It’s hard to beat a tasty muffin, only requiring two prep bowls. (Exhibit A: the healthy Banana Oatmeal Raisin I made a while back. And exhibit B: the Pumpkin with Cranberries and Pecans that are an absolute snap to whip up.) But sometimes it’s worth the added effort – in the name of a superb muffin.

Like these. They are the complete opposite from their relatives mentioned above. Like distant cousins. Very distant.

Fluffy, made with a lot of butter, a crispy crumble topping, and aside from the hint of fresh berries, not at all healthy. Cake-like. Still easy to make, but certainly more than my usual desired three steps. That’s okay. I’m so glad I went the extra mile.

Paul’s reaction after taking a bite was, and I quote, “Holy Count of Monte Cristo, that’s good.”

You must make a batch. And I challenge you to eat only one per day. I had to force myself to step away from the pan. I not only resisted sharing them, but when the last one was gone, I almost cried.

Print this recipe (adapted from Joy The Baker)

Amy August 29, 2010 at 10:41 am

Janet – Yes, aren’t these wonderful? I think many different fruit combos would work here, and I love that you tried them with peaches. Thanks so much for coming over to let me know!

janet August 29, 2010 at 7:00 am

Yum! I made them with blueberries and peaches and thought they were scrumptious. I wrote about it here: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/blueberry-peach-brown-butter-muffins/

Taylor July 30, 2010 at 10:32 am

I bet the brown butter in these is amazing! Your picture is making me hungry!

Jackie at Phamfatale.com July 29, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Love the nuttiness of brown butter. I’m sipping a cup of tea right now; would love one of those scrumptious berry muffins. MMMmm

Amy July 28, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Alicia – Actually, I’m starting to think it’s unfair that I DO bake. My bathing suit isn’t looking so hot anymore.

Greg – Oh, if you only knew ;-)

sippitysup July 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Baking makes you twinkle? I learn something new about you every time I visit! GREG

Alicia July 28, 2010 at 9:54 am

OMG, my mouth is watering. I am a terrible baker too. It’s unfair, so so unfair ;)

Amy July 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Joanne – How is this possible? Are all the oven repair men taking a break? Or overloaded with other work orders? Or is it too expensive to have fixed? This is wrong. Wrong, I tell ya!!

Joanne July 27, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I’m crying because you live 3,000 miles away and thus I can’t come and steal and/or borrow and/or devour one from your countertop (because you and I both know you are baking another batch). These are SO getting made when my oven is fixed.

I also did cry today because the oven is still not fixed. I’m totally serious.

Amy July 27, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Dani – thanks for all the RTs and love. You’re the best!

Debbi – No doubt, right? Brown butter=heaven. Thanks for coming by…crack up every time I see your blog name. Love it!

Jude – I have nothing against the packaged goods, you know. But these? On a whole other playing field. Not even in the same atmosphere.

Rachel – I love ATK, but ya, sometimes their recipes are way too involved. I only wish I could spend all day in the kitchen creating.

Dad – Oooh, you’re onto something. Give the kids a muffin and I can have quiet. What will that get me…2 minutes? I’ll take it. They did love these. But of course – I mention the cake-like part, right?

Jen – LOL. Love you.

Jen July 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I’m sorry…were you saying something? I was too busy drooling….

Dad July 27, 2010 at 11:02 am

They look scruptioulitious, and I have to wait until Mom gets a twinkle in her eye. For you, it must be a twinkle because everything else gives you a twitch. Two years from now= kids occupied = what are they up to?

I had a Aunt Betty once, and she used to make these. I remember it well ’cause we all used to say, “Betty’s baking a big batch of brown butter mixed berry muffins,” and then she’d shove one in our mouths to shut us up.

So, are you bringing us some? When? How many? Cumbled, please.

Rachel July 27, 2010 at 10:23 am

That would be CRUMBLED, not cumbled. Wow I nee some coffee!

Rachel July 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

Browned butter? Can I get a YES PLEASE?? And bravo on the cumbled topping…a must! Compared to the lemon blueberry muffins from America’s Test Kitchen, these muffins are going to be a snap to make! Thanks Amy!! I can’t wait to try these! And yes I used all exclamation points in this post!! !!!

Jude July 27, 2010 at 9:38 am

Here in the corporate world of Packaged Foods, the muffin mixes just don’t cut it and this recipe looks easy enough for me to tackle. No mixer needed! Can’t wait to try it.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy July 27, 2010 at 6:58 am

I love anything with browned butter. The first time I learned that, I totally fell in love. These look amazing, yet completely dangerous!!

Dani H July 27, 2010 at 3:53 am

Ooooh! Yum! I can’t wait to try these. My grandkids LOVE when grandma makes them muffins. Thanks, Amy! I hope you’re having a good week, sweetheart. *Hugs*