Worms In Dirt Cupcakes

Post image for Worms In Dirt Cupcakes

by Amy Flanigan on October 22, 2010 · 15 comments

Will it be a ballerina? Fancy Nancy? Dora? (Please no. Don’t let it be Dora), Ruby the bunny rabbit? Batgirl?

Drum roll, please. And the winner is…

Sleeping Beauty. A princess. Of course. Sorry, Nancy – I was rooting for you.

Haley is going to be Sleeping Beauty for Halloween. She waffled a little bit, but ultimately Aurora, with her long blonde hair and pink dress, won.

Trevor asked for Curious George, but I couldn’t find a costume I liked. So, he’s going to be Woody from Toy Story. With no complaints. Boys are so easy…or, wait…maybe it’s because he’s two?

I continue to torture myself with baked goods over here. Were the Witches’ Brooms a little too challenging? No worries. Try these cupcakes. Super easy. And they’re meant to look messy, so get those kids involved in the process!

And snatch one of the cookies for yourself, before you smash them all up. Nobody will notice.

Worms In Dirt Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
Cooling time: 30 minutes
Assembly time: 20 minutes

• 1 package cake mix
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 3 large eggs
• 24 Cupcake sleeves
• 1 container prepared frosting
• 1 cup finely crushed Oreos
• 1 package of gummi worms

Line 2, 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake wrappers. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions for baking cupcakes. Let them cool completely.

Frost each cupcake and sprinkle on the cookie crumbs. Use a small knife or large chopstick to make holes for the worms. Place the gummi worms in the holes (cutting some of them in half to make them seem deeper in the dirt.)

That’s it! Enjoy.

Dani H November 16, 2010 at 11:49 am

Too cute!!!

Amy October 25, 2010 at 10:29 am

Pam – My mom is a seamstress also… made all our clothing when my sister and I were kids. Only now as an adult can I appreciate it. Isn’t that always the way?!

Greg – Halloween does not age discriminate!

sippitysup October 25, 2010 at 7:25 am

Halloween seems like such a holiday for the kids. Even us big kids! GREG

pam October 23, 2010 at 6:51 pm

My daughter and I were just talking about when they were young and I made their costumes. They were always some sort of princess. We would go to Goodwill, buy old bridesmade dresses and I would turn them into a princess.

Amy October 23, 2010 at 7:21 am

Lo – I would adopt you in a second! We have an extra room… Farmers. I like it. And I’m okay with the pitchfork, as long as Peef doesn’t walk behind you.

lo October 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I’ve got a serious soft spot for dirt cake. And sour gummy wormy things. I love you, Amy. Will you adopt me?

I think Paul and I are going to be farmers for Halloween. Peef wants to carry a pitchfork, but I’m not sure if that would really be OK.

Amy October 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Jude – Ooooh, Swedish fish. YUM. Paul never ever craves candy. I however have evidence of my candy love, in the form of fillings. From my childhood. I like what you’re giving out! Totally unique.

Jude October 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Chopper’s a sucker for Swedish fish and Gummi bears (HARIBO, a habit left over from Germany) and gummi worms. Go figure. This year at BrickHouse we’re handing out SpongeBob Fruit by the Foot and Halloween Fruit Roll-Ups. Thank you, General Mills.

Amy October 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Cathy – Wait…Batman’s “mask” covers his whole head. Problem solved.

Lisa – I am in serious trouble if my kids ever spot gummi snails anywhere.

Joanne – The Incredibles?! I love it. Although if you did decide to go as Worms In Dirt Cupcake, I would pay money for a picture.

Jude – Really? Chopper likes gummi worms? I would never have guessed that. M&Ms, sure. Kit Kat, yes. Gummi worms, no. What are you giving out this year?

Jude October 22, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Halloween is the best time of year!

Lisa asked what is it with kids and gummy worms. Uh, kids and my 46-yr-old hubby. He might just get these treats for All Hallows Eve.

Man, I miss trick-or-treating with the monkey nephews.

Joanne October 22, 2010 at 10:32 am

Well at least your kids know what they are going to be because I certainly don’t. My roommate and I are vacillating between The Incredibles and pirates. Neither of which are inspiring me much.

Or what if I just covered myself in frosting and oreo cookie crumbles and gummy worms. And told everyone that I was dressing up as one of your recipes. That sounds like a good plan to me.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary October 22, 2010 at 8:39 am

Why is it that kids love anything with gummy worms in it?

Cathy October 22, 2010 at 8:26 am

Thanks for the fun Halloween ideas. Cady is going to be Batman. I don’t know how to do her hair for that. ;-)