Turkey-Cranberry Sandwich

Post image for Turkey-Cranberry Sandwich

by Amy Flanigan on November 11, 2010 · 26 comments

Let’s play a hypothetical game. (Oh, fun!)

Thanksgiving is now over. (What? NOT fun!)

So we’re sad because we have to wait a whole year for it to come around again (um, ya.) But we’re happy because it lives on for another week with mountains of left over turkey (oh right, whew.)

What to do with it?

The easiest choice is (a) casserole or (b) sandwiches. (Actually, the easiest choice is to just stand over your counter top, picking the turkey off the bone, but that’s too obvious.) Since we’re all cooked out – back hurts from standing for 10 hours, and bellies are stuffed from all the eating, making our mobility limited – I vote for option b.

I also vote for this particular sandwich.

If you still have some of the cranberry-pomegranate relish I urged you to make, this is a perfect way to use it up. It’s such a flavorful sauce, you really don’t need any other type of spread on the bread, but since I’m a mayo freak (don’t judge), I included it on mine.

Yay, fun!

Print the recipe.

Dani H November 16, 2010 at 11:33 am

I’m totally drooling now! Definitely all of your ingredients sans the mayo plus brie plus leftover cornbread dressing. ;D Yum!

Amy November 14, 2010 at 6:32 am

Dawn – Exactly!

Kim – :DD You’re so much fun. Love you.

Velva – Thanks honey! Welcome to my other club. Awesome having you over there, as well. I can feel the love!

Denise – I bet. It sounds delish. The poached egg sealed the deal for me. Mmmm.

Nicole – I do love avocado. I’ll have to try that combo next time. Obviously this is a “kitchen sink” sort of day-after sandwich. Anything goes!

Nicole November 14, 2010 at 4:07 am

The only thing (other than brie) that’s missing from your sandwich is avocado! Mmmmmmm! I am salivating just thinking about it – turkey, cranberry sauce, mayo, brie, avocado, all squished together with some lettuce (as a minor concession to healthy eating) on a nice lightly toasted wholegrain roll …

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie November 14, 2010 at 12:08 am

I make this Thanksgiving Hash with many of the dishes from the big feast the day before. I try to brown it to where there are sort of crusty edges. With a poached egg on top – it’s really a treat.

Velva November 13, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I am loving this recipe. There is no doubt that my feet and back and will hurt come this Thanksgiving. My belly will be completely filled but, I will continue to nosh, even if it is over the sink.
This is a perfect way to redirect my food energy to something productive. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. I am getting ready to click your facebook icon to follow you.

Kim November 13, 2010 at 4:58 am

First of all, your cranberry-pomegranate relish sounds astounding!! It’s on my holiday list. And secondly, I’m so glad that Thanksgiving is over and strangely I don’t fill nearly as exhausted and stuffed as usual and I can eat this big ole dagwood turkey sandwich. Maybe I’ll have enough energy to hit the after-Thanksgiving sales today….

dawn hutchins November 12, 2010 at 1:05 pm

LOVE this idea. It reminds me of my Thanksgiving method of one bite of turkey, one bite of cranberry and one bite of stuffing on each forkfull. This way I wouldn’t even need the fork!

Amy November 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Lisa – It tastes as good as it looks, with or without the mayo…

Tina Marie – You raise an excellent point! Why do we wait all year long before we eat sweet potatoes, turkey, and cranberry relish? It’s so silly. OR maybe that’s what makes those items taste so much better? Hm.

Tina Marie November 12, 2010 at 10:15 am

Our Thanksgiving is next week so I have the advantage of prepallaning for the leftovers with all your wonderful suggestions. Thanks Amy! We really don’t have turkey enough in yearly dinners…why do we always wait for Thanksgiving? Hmmmmm

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary November 11, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Now that is a sandwich. Holy crap! I almost wanna skip Thanksgiving and go straight to that beauty~

Amy November 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Joanne – I’ve been wishing I tried this with brie since the other day when you mentioned it. You can bet I’ll have some in the house for the day after Thanksgiving.

Melissa – I’ve never been a big fan of mustard, but I love it mixed with honey and spread on broiled salmon. And this has peaked my interested. It’s actually making my mouth water, so that’s always a good sign. Printing…

Lo – I love how everyone is chiming in about their fondness of mayo! I always think I’m so alone in that camp. And yes…the brie. Joanne is a wealth of great ideas. As for you and me? Kindred spirits, darlin’. Totally.

lo November 11, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Oh, and now I just read Joanne’s comment — BRIE??!! Oh, dear. Dig my grave now, honey. I’m jumping in!

lo November 11, 2010 at 2:06 pm

The thing I love best about Thanksgiving are the leftovers… which… I will confess I try to recreate during random moments in the middle of winter. (Yes, I am the girl who roasts a 15 lb bird in the middle of February JUST for the leftovers)

And I’m with you on the mayo AND cranberry. Just perfect my dear. And even more evidence that you should adopt me as your long lost daughter… er… sister??

Melissa November 11, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Amy, the mustard is here:

I can’t see why I shouldn’t make this Thanksgiving weekend.

And yes, try the mayo! It’s not something I bother to make constantly – we don’t go through it fast enough because Steve isn’t a fan – but the couple of times I did it was a real treat.

Joanne November 11, 2010 at 9:59 am

Top it off with some brie and I am in serious thanksgiving heaven. Heck, I might even be eating this until next summer. How awesome would THAT be.

Amy November 11, 2010 at 9:37 am

Dad – Don’t worry, I still loathe celery. Some thing never change.

Pam – Nothing beats a good sandwich, right Pam? All year long.

Lynda – Oh no no no. No comparison between canned jellied sauce and this homemade version. They’re not even on the same playing field. I suppose we can say that about most foods from a can vs. homemade though, huh? And hey, who says you have to wait until Thanksgiving?! The sauce is finished in 15 minutes *wink*

Lynda November 11, 2010 at 9:29 am

I’ve had turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce in a couple of restaurants. The first was similiar to yours and was it ever yummy! The second had canned jellied sauce on it-not so great. I don’t think I can wait until after Thanksgiving to try yours!

pam November 11, 2010 at 9:25 am

I’m with you…sandwiches are the way to go!

Dad November 11, 2010 at 8:55 am

I like mayo on turkey, but mayo on turkey with cranberry sauce? Genetically, Amy, there’s something weird about the fungiform papillæ of your tongue. Other than that, you’re fairly norma… Nah.

Looks deelish. Julienne carrots? You’re NOT Amy. What have your done to with my kid????

Amy November 11, 2010 at 8:13 am

Paul – At this point? You do that with everything I make.

Kelly – I’m hosting this year, too. Excited!

Dinetonite – glad to hear it *head swells*

Stephanie – I tested this out after I made the relish…just as a test, you know…and I ended up having one for lunch every day last week.

Melissa – I haven’t ever made my own, which is remarkable considering how much mayo I eat. I put it on a lot of things. I’ve heard homemade is really great, and easy. Adding to my bucket list. Now, what is this cranberry mustard you speak of? And you’re planning on making it for this sandwich, or a different sandwich? Figures Rebecca would trump me. She’s just too good ;-)

Melissa November 11, 2010 at 7:56 am

Nice stack.

I didn’t used to be a mayo freak. I don’t know what happened. Have you ever made your own? If not, you should, just once. It’s a-freaking-mazing.

You’re making me crave Thanksgiving. Though I will say up front that while a sandwich is on the agenda for the 26th, I will be making Rebecca’s cranberry mustard specially for that.

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo November 11, 2010 at 7:29 am

Leftover Thanksgiving dinner sandwhiches (I just typed “sandwichers”) are hands down the best part of Thanksgiving. I could eat this off the screen if it would let me.

Dinetonite November 11, 2010 at 7:21 am

Your site is fast becoming one of my favourites – thanks so much for these great recipes.

Kelly November 11, 2010 at 7:06 am

Picking off the bone is the way too go. :) Alas, I’m a mayo freak too so I’ll get my bread out too and make a sandwich. Truly this is the reason I host Thanksgiving! So I have enough Turkey leftover to make sandwiches. Will try that cranberry dressing too. :)

Paul November 11, 2010 at 6:41 am

At this point, I would be doing an uncanny impression of Cookie Monster – chowing down on this sammy with bits and pieces flying everywhere, making grunting noises. And all would be right with the world. Yum.