Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta Breadcrumbs

Post image for Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta Breadcrumbs

by Amy Flanigan on November 18, 2010 · 27 comments

Paul and I are the only two people I know who like Brussels sprouts, so the odds are pretty high that most subscribers deleted this post in their reader, immediately after just seeing the title.

For those of you who have stuck around…because you’re loyal, because you’re curious, or just humoring me…thanks. Even if I connect with or convert only one reader, I will consider it a big win. I love this dish and it’s a perfect side for Thanksgiving.

What kind of sprouts are y’all eating, anyway? (Whoops, Paula Dean snuck in there for a minute.) My guess is, boiled in flavorless water…for way too long…until they turn a tired green hue. Without seasoning. No wonder you don’t like them.

These Brussels are not prepared that way. No no. They’re sliced thin, sautéed in olive oil and garlic, sprinkled with salt, cooked al dente, and then topped with these to-die-for pancetta breadcrumbs.

If I still haven’t sold you, at least make the pancetta breadcrumbs. They are the bomb – all year long. Wonderful on top of soup, salad, macaroni and cheese. Or just eat them by the spoonful. I won’t tell.

See. Those people who ran off? They missed out on two recipes, really.

Print this recipe

Amy November 29, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Dani – Brussels with balsamic…yum. I haven’t made them like that before, but I do roast asparagus with olive oil and balsamic and it’s fantastic. I’m sure the brussels would be the same.

Paula – Well, hello there! How wonderful to see you over in my world. Who would have thought that Brussels Sprouts would lure you in. Lol. I’ve never known anyone who liked them until this post. And now I feel like we all need a group hug.

Paula - bell'alimento November 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm

LOVE brussel sprouts. My favorite way is roasting them to perfection with PANCETTA {and sometimes shrooms}. This year I added pomegranate arils…oh yeah, I’m crazy like that LOL but am so trying the pancetta breadcrumbs next go round!

Dani H November 19, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I have to admit that as much as I love them, I’ve never cooked fresh brussel sprouts, only frozen. My favorite way of eating them has been with red wine or balsamic vinegar. THIS recipe is going to inspire me to get fresh ones. The breadcrumbs sound scrumptious! *hugs*

5 Star Foodie November 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm

This sounds like a wonderful preparation of brussels sprouts, definitely loving those pancetta breadcrumbs!

Amy November 19, 2010 at 9:15 am

Greg – Do you mean anchovies and garlic on top of Brussels? Or anchovies and garlic mixed with breadcrumbs? Either way, the answer is no, but now I want to try that!

sippitysup November 19, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love Brussles sprouts. They take to big flavors and textures well. That’s why pancetta and breadcrumbs are so perfect. Have you tried the same thing with achovies and galic. Yum too. GREG

Amy November 19, 2010 at 7:55 am

Tina Marie – Well now, that sounds heavenly. Your husband is one tough cookie then!

Tina Marie November 19, 2010 at 5:55 am

No velvetta! I have tried the tradioal white sauce (butter, flour milk) and added freshly grated parmesan..also tried grated colby. No dice. I will make my own side dish of spouts…..love them steamed.

Amy November 18, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Jenny – Score!

Lisa – The caramelization is the best. You could easily roast the brussels like you usually do, instead of sauteeing them, and put the pancetta crumbs on top. Essentially the same recipe. So good.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary November 18, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I LOVE them. Yum, yum, yum. All but 1 in my nest will eat them. I usually roast them in the oven with sea salt and some olive oil. Let them get nice and caramelized. Lord, I could eat the whole pan myself. Your method looks equally amazing. Must make soon!

Jennifer aka Ms. Jenny November 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I come home from work and find another one of my favorite veggies are being honored by you!
Thanks and YUMMY!

Amy November 18, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Tina Marie – Cheese sauce on Brussels…hm. Like melted Velveeta? I might even be turned off by that. Convince him to try them one more time. 3 times a charm! Or wait, 3 strikes and you’re out. Well, you catch my drift.

Astrid – I’ve never actually had Brussels steamed. I’ve had them roasted, broiled, and sauteed, but never steamed. Do they come out mushy or do they still have a bite to them?

Stephanie – I don’t relegate them to just Thanksgiving either. But my kids aren’t 100% on board with them yet. Once they are, I will be making them more often too.

Jenny – Do it do it do it. Serve them with a side of comical and you might win him over. Report back!

Teri – Totally uplifting! I am so excited to hear I am not alone. I can feel the Brussels love.

Melissa – Bacon just makes everything better, no? ;-) You can see from the recipe that the pancetta crumbs can be made in minutes. You can even store them in an airtight container for a long time for other things too.

Jay – you silly silly man. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Pam – Yes, love them roasted. Sometimes with just a little brown sugar. Mmmm.

Mom – Dad and Jay can sit in the corner, while the rest of us lick our lips. More for us!

Joanne – Linked…totally. “Relatives”…totally relate. I need a Facebook “like” button on the blog.

Joanne November 18, 2010 at 10:23 am

I am actually a total brussels sprout lover! but you knew that already. Because you and I…we are basically the same person. And/or are psychically linked.

I may have to make these for thanksgiving. Because I am hellbent on getting some greens into these people I call “my relatives”.

m November 18, 2010 at 9:40 am

I also have a house divided, but I would make this just for myself.

pam November 18, 2010 at 9:24 am

I love mine roasted, all nice and crispy.

Jay November 18, 2010 at 9:22 am

Ya’ll put lipstick on a pig…and it’s still a pig. Is it really necessary to smother something in cheese or pork fat just to choke it down? You just have to ask yourself, “Is it really worth the effort?” Sorry, I’m just a sprout hater from way back.

Melissa November 18, 2010 at 7:49 am

Love Brussels sprouts so much, I’ve been making them every week for the last 4 since they started looking good at the farmers market. I decided this year they shall also be on my Thanksgiving table. It’s MY Thanksgiving and no one’s telling me I can’t make Brussels sprouts. :D The pancetta breadcrumbs may have to go on there too. Every time I cook them with bacon or pancetta on some way, Steve mmmmm’s all the more. That pork fat goes a long way.

Teri November 18, 2010 at 7:39 am

See, Amy, you know several people who love Brussels Sprouts! Isn’t that uplifting? I love them too and you-know-who doesn’t. But, maybe he’d go for this recipe! Thanks.

Jenny November 18, 2010 at 7:31 am

I love Brussel sprouts, and have been trying for years to get Mike to try them. This might be the recipe that works. Yum!

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo November 18, 2010 at 7:30 am

I love brussels sprouts — especially roasted! We make them a few times a month, and we’re planning to have them at Thanksgiving this year too. I love the pancetta breadcrumbs…that’s a great idea.

Astrid November 18, 2010 at 7:09 am

Brussel sprouts are actually one of my favorite veggies. I actually have never cooked them. I just buy the little steamer bags, becasue no one else I know likes them, either! I may have to try this dish, it looks delicious!

Tina Marie November 18, 2010 at 7:09 am

I read it! We are in a house divided……I like brussel sprouts and enjoy them many ways……however, husband tried them…even smothering in chesee sauce, and proclaimed he was done trying them. Forever. He did give them a fair trial pertiod though.

Pancetta bread crumbs…now you’re talkin’ !