Easy Lemon Curd

15 Minute Lemon Curd from Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on February 10, 2011 · 44 comments

So, you’re familiar with my friend Alicia. Now let’s talk about my friend Rachel.

Another beauty. Perfectly long, thick blonde hair (which at one time was also pink – you can see why I like her already, right?), bright smile, awesome eyes…one of those people who wears a pair of glasses like nobody’s business. Infectious laugh. Tells a great story with her entire body. And she calls me things like “Sugar Shack.”

AND…she brings me 30 Meyer lemons. Just ‘cause. L.O.V.E. her.

There are a few food items that, just upon mentioning, bring an instant smile to my face. Chocolate, Gruyère, spinach, cinnamon, sesame oil, garlic, bacon.

And lemons.

Easy Homemade Lemon Curd - ready in 15 minutes! | Very Culinary

When we were trying to sell our house in Minnesota, I used to keep a bowl of lemons out on the table. The color, the smell… I swear, I think they sold the house for us.

Have a ton of apples? Make applesauce. Have a ton of lemons? Make lemon curd!

If you always buy it, stop now. It’s down right silly how easy this is to whip up. And actually, it got even easier – which I didn’t think was possible – when Rachel told me about the microwave method. Wha what?

I’ve always used a double boiler, strained it through a sieve, etc. I tried it in the microwave – sublime as always. Again, Rachel shows why I cannot live without her.

Uses for lemon curd: stirred into yogurt, on top of pancakes or crepes, spread on scones, mixed into pound cake, drizzled over ice cream…or my favorite way – right off the spoon, directly into your mouth.

Tart. Sweet. Smooth. Marvelous. Forever housed in my happy place. Along with Rachel.

Lemon Curd
Makes 2 cups

• 1 cup white sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup fresh lemon juice
• Zest from 3 lemons
• 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes, whisking well after each minute (toward the end, whisk every 15-30 seconds.) DO NOT let the mixture come to a boil or the eggs will curdle. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.

Remove from the microwave, and pour into small sterile jars (the curd will thicken the more it cools.) Store for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.

(slightly adapted from allrecipes.com)

Deborah March 25, 2014 at 7:21 am

Love homemade lemon curd! Can this be made using limes? I’m looking for a good lime curd recipe.
Thanks!

Amy @Very Culinary March 25, 2014 at 7:29 am

Hi Deborah – I’ve never tried it with limes, but I can’t see why not! As long as the limes are acidic enough. I did try this with oranges once and it was meh. Not enough acidity.

Simar November 30, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Isn’t the lemon curd supposed to be made with egg yolks?

Amy @Very Culinary November 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I always use whole eggs, but you can do it either way. Yolks and Whites are about the same proportion, so you need to adjust for the size difference. 1:1 ratio. For example, in my recipe, you could use 3 whole eggs (like I do), or 6 yolks. Just using the yolks tends to be thinner, creamier, and taste richer. Adding the whites gives you a lighter fresher thicker curd.

Marcia @Gathering at the Table May 9, 2013 at 8:32 am

I have to try this the next time I bake my lemon cake. Lemon curd is actually recommended as the filling. Yummy.
Stopping by via Sarah’s.
xoxo’s

Amy May 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Greetings Marcia, nice to have you over here! I use this curd on pancakes, in muffins, mixed with yogurt..sometimes just by itself. SO easy and delicious.

Mrs. Sarah Coller May 8, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Hello again! I’m featuring you tonight at the Homemaking Party! Thanks for a great post!

Sarah

where can I buy meyer lemons in April 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Hurrah for Rachel! Where’s her picture? You live in a world blessed with wonderful friends.

Every year I host a potluck dinner where everyone is asked to bring a lemon dish, from entrees to desserts to beverages and cocktails. Everything has to have a touch of lemons in it. I just know your homemade lemon curd recipe will be a big hit.

Sandi

Mom February 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm

So delighted to report that my lemon curd was successful. I can’t believe how east it was, especially hardly believing my first try wouldn’t solidify. A little lemon curd on a wheat thin is perfect to finish off a cup of coffee or tea.

Amy February 17, 2011 at 7:32 am

It looks so good. Fresh lemons are so much better in curd. Thanks.

5 Star Foodie February 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Lemon curd sounds like just the thing to make with my leftover Meyer lemons, excellent!

Kim February 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Okay, so my Saturday came and went and my lemons are patiently waiting on me. They want their 15 minutes of FAME! I am hoping they find it tomorrow….

Jen February 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I did it! I did it! I did it! It was uber easy and so yummy! Thanks Ame!

Amy February 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Yay! I’ve already gone through two jars…I need to make another batch. And how can I not, when it’s THAT easy, right?

Manu February 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I love lemon curd but have never made it at home! You make it sound so simple that I may give it a try! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Mom February 11, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I LOVE lemon curd! How can I pass up such an easy recipe? Your picture is too tempting, so as soon as I get some lemons, I’m off and running.

Amy February 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I reserved one of my jars for you :D

Kim February 11, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Oh ho ho my lemony curdness. This is so my Saturday. Saw 10 for $2 at Earth Fare and I may carry out the whole basket.

I’ve never made this and I’ve only bought it once– so this is exciting.

Amy February 11, 2011 at 5:04 pm

10 for $2…it’s destiny!

Carine February 11, 2011 at 4:30 am

Lemon curd is my favorite spread. I love how it sours but sweet.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 11, 2011 at 3:57 am

Seriously, lemon curd in the microwave? Now why didn’t I know this was possible? That’s awesome!

Rachel February 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm

L.O.V.E. you back! I am so glad you’re enjoying the lemons and recipe. You are so kind to say all those nice things about me, although I wish I had “thick” hair. Sadly, it’s limp and fine and does nothing. If I had your curly hair I’d grow it to my butt and tease it like Diana Ross. You are so lucky to have hair that has VOLUME.

But back to the lemons.

I’ll let you in on somethin’…on one batch I actually accidentally overcooked it a bit and had bits of egg whites in the curd, but no worries I just strained it and it tasted just fine. Just awesome lemon taste. I made it on the stovetop for eons until this recipe came along…it is just too easy.

P.S. I actually have lots more I can drop off to you next week if you want! ;)

Amy February 11, 2011 at 6:16 am

But still…5 minutes in the microwave and then straining it is still easier and faster than on the stove and through a sieve. Yes, I want!

Nam @ The Culinary Chronicles February 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm

WOW, this sounds so much easier than they way I make mine. What a great recipe—thanks!

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I never would have thought to make lemon curd from scratch, what a great idea! Your photo is terrific.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen February 10, 2011 at 1:37 pm

GORGEOUS photo! I love, love, love lemons and what a great way to eat them!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary February 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I have never in my life tasted lemon curd. Honest.Isn’t that sad? It looks like something I would love. I’d also love 30 Meyer lemons. Tell your friend Rachel that I accept donations, lol.

Love the photo!

Amy February 10, 2011 at 7:47 pm

*mouth on floor* I’m shocked. It is a little sad. To never have made it…ya, okay. But to never have tasted it? We need to remedy this stat! You’d love it.

Rachel February 10, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Lisa you must must must try it. You simply MUST!

lo February 10, 2011 at 12:55 pm

It’s true. Lemon curd makes my world happy too. And the job is made SO MUCH easier by that OXO citrus juicer you bequeathed to us. LOVE it.

I must admit I’m a bit jealous of your Meyer lemons. I didn’t make any lemon curd when they were available at our organic co-op, and I’m still sorry about that.

Amy February 10, 2011 at 7:45 pm

WORD. I used my citrus juicer for this. Best gadget ever. So happy you guys are enjoying yours :D

Anne February 10, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Where do you find your friends? Because I want to go there. Meyer lemons! Microwave lemon curd recipes! They are an awesome bunch. I’m so excited to try this microwave method.

Lynda February 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

Lemon Curd is my favorite part of “high tea”. Our daughters treat my friend, Karen, and me to tea somewhere in San Francisco once a year. Now I can have the best part at home. Maybe I’ll even share with them.
Thanks, Amy.

Amy February 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm

But of course! Tea and lemon were meant to be married, right? Sharing is difficult…better make a double batch ;-)

Eliana February 10, 2011 at 10:44 am

Is it bad that I kinda want a big bowl of this to dip my face in? This curd looks and sounds amazing.

Amy February 10, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Ha! Not bad at all. The temptation is strong. I’d like to bathe in it, myself :D

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) February 10, 2011 at 10:33 am

I love Meyer lemons but never know quite what to do with them. This looks terrific. Thank you!!!

Joanne February 10, 2011 at 10:05 am

I need to get friends with access to Meyer lemons. And ones who know how to microwave things and come out with heaven in the end. Seriously, this makes life so much easier! Who’d have thunk it.

Prerna@IndianSimmer February 10, 2011 at 9:59 am

Yum Yum Yum! Lemon curd is my ALL time fav.!! I can lick it all day long :-)

Mike February 10, 2011 at 9:34 am

Nice photo!

Kathleen S. February 10, 2011 at 9:02 am

I have just never thought to make lemon curd, or for that matter eat it on a regular basis. Hmmm…you have once again inspired me, Amy! Thanks!

Melissa February 10, 2011 at 8:45 am

I love your list of foods that make you smile. :D

I’ve never had lemon curd. Seems like kind of a no brainer when I get too many lemons from the farmers market.

Amy February 10, 2011 at 7:40 pm

It will come as no surprise that my list is much longer, but those were top of mind. And yes, make this the next time you have an overload of lemons. Well, actually…you only need 3-4. Regardless, it’s too delicious and easy not to.

pam February 10, 2011 at 8:36 am

30 Meyer lemons! Can she be my friend too?