Parmesan-Crusted Rigatoni with Cauliflower and Prosciutto

Post image for Parmesan-Crusted Rigatoni with Cauliflower and Prosciutto

by Amy Flanigan on February 22, 2011 · 32 comments

Things that are certain:
  1. Dogs make life better.
  2. There will always be cups to wash.
  3. No matter how much flavor a dish has, Paul will still add salt.
  4. There isn’t a shampoo, conditioner, oil, gel, mousse, spray, or cream, that will make my hair straight.
  5. After the floor is mopped, someone will spill something on it. Within an hour.
  6. Bananas will turn brown before I eat them, which means I always have banana bread in the house.
  7. I want to sell my kids to the gypsies at least once a day.
  8. Those same kids will also make me laugh out loud and melt my heart each day.
  9. Cookies could solve world peace. (Seriously. Has anyone ever really tried?)
  10. There will never be a time when I don’t have a stack of new pasta recipes to try.

And this recipe in particular bumped many others out of the way…others that have been in the stack for months, patiently waiting their turn.

But come on. I couldn’t resist making this asap. How can combining garlic, cream, Parmesan, Prosciutto, and cauliflower be bad? – It can’t. Then add all those fantastic ingredients to some pasta, topped with crispy bread crumbs, and you’ve got a winner.

11. I will make this again.

Parmesan-Crusted Rigatoni with Cauliflower & Prosciutto
Serves 4-6

• 1 pound rigatoni
• 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
• 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
• 6 ounces sliced prosciutto, cut into thick ribbons
• 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
• Salt and pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the rigatoni until al dente; about 6 minutes before the rigatoni is done, add the cauliflower florets to the pot. Drain and set aside.

In the same pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat for 1 minute until lightly golden. Add the cream and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Return the rigatoni and cauliflower to the pot. Add the prosciutto; toss to coat and warm through, 2-3 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. And in a medium bowl, toss the Panko, Parmesan cheese, rosemary, and the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper.

Scrape the pasta into a large shallow baking dish and sprinkle the Panko mixture evenly over the top. Broil for about 2 minutes, rotating constantly, until the topping is evenly browned. Serve hot.

(adapted from Food and Wine)

denise February 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm

grabbed everything i needed for this dish tonight and will be making this tomorrow (when i have the first child free morning/afternoon at home, all to myself since about 2002…) and i CAN’T wait!!!!!

denise February 25, 2011 at 9:55 am

i am eating this RIGHT NOW! and it is FABULOUS!!

Amy February 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

YAY! Isn’t it so good? I could make myself just a bowl of the bread crumbs and be happy. And hooray for kid-free mornings. I can count on one hand how many I’ve had in 5 years. I relish them…

denise February 25, 2011 at 4:31 pm

i am determined to work those breadcrumbs into other dishes they are sooooooooo yum!!!!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 23, 2011 at 3:19 pm

LOL love your list of things that are certain! I totally agree with you on #9:-)

j February 23, 2011 at 8:39 am

This sounds good. I know it will lose something (amazing) without the prosciutto, but I’m going to try it anyway.

Your list is awesome. And why is it that a banana never ever sounds like what I want to eat, and yet every time I eat one, I think, “I like bananas.” Weird.

Amy February 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

The prosciutto definitely adds another layer, in texture and flavor. If you omit it, add some extra salt since you’ll be missing that. I want to know how it comes out! And ya, the banana thing…totally. Do you suppose that’s a universal issue?

Clarkie @ Beloved Green February 23, 2011 at 8:30 am

#3 is so my friend. She adds salt even before she takes a bite. I always chuckle a little.

Eliana February 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I would not be able to resist making these either! This dish looks amazingly delicious.

Beauty & the Feast February 22, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Great list of truths…I totally agree on the world peace cookie concept. This pasta dish looks phenomenal. Such beautiful flavors. Can’t wait to give it a try!

krysta February 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

yes, this one also bumped all of my other recipes too! and #9 i totally agree with you but i am shocked you did put down pie.

Amy February 22, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I came *this* close to saying pie, but know that not everyone is obsessed with it like I am. Now cookies, however…who doesn’t love a cookie?

Dad February 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm

What could possibly be bad with prosciutto, but why couldn’t they just call it ham so I can throw out the dictionary?

Amy February 22, 2011 at 8:14 pm

So true! No matter how many times I write about it (which is a lot), I still have to spell it out in my head.

Paul February 27, 2011 at 9:15 am

It’s pronounced pro-SHOO-doh.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary February 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I love your list, but #3, no that’s MY husband, lol.
#4 – I hear ya on that! If either of us kinds a product that does that, we’ll let the other know pronto!

#11 (yeah I’m adding one), Krysta and Amy always seem to make the recipes that I have bookmarked in the magazines. I swear Krysta does it all the time and now you are starting!! LOL. I really did have this tagged to make. I think we have some eerie telepathic connection.

Amy February 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Hee hee :D Oh, there’s definitely some funny business going on. OR maybe…we just all subscribe to the same magazines ;-)

5 Star Foodie February 22, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Delicious looking pasta dish! I love the parmesan breadcrumbs here, so yummy!

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo February 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Dogs make EVERYTHING better. Why is “pasta makes a bad day wonderful” not on your list?! Shit…maybe that’s just me….

This looks great, Amy. I love the pasta/cauliflower combo. And lets face it, anything with cream in the mix could never be a bad thing.

Amy February 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Ah cream. Maybe cream could solve world peace…

Mellissa February 22, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I am now drooling at my desk. Darn you!

Amy February 22, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Then my work here is done ;-)

Ethan February 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

dogs and cookies do make the world a better place. As for selling the kids to the gypsies, wait until you get a price you’re comfortable with;)
And the rigatoni looks great!

Amy February 22, 2011 at 8:10 pm

The price varies on the day and how much whining I’m willing to endure ;-)

lo February 22, 2011 at 10:08 am

I’ve fallen in love with recipes that use cauliflower in them. There’s just something about the sweetness of this noble veg that pairs beautifully with cheese & pasta… and then, of course, there’s that awesome salty prosciutto. Smitten.

sippitysup February 22, 2011 at 10:00 am

Dogs make life better. And so does pasta. But this is the type of pasta that makes life best! Breadcrumbs… yes, GREG

Joanne February 22, 2011 at 9:59 am

I hate washing cups. I’m glad someone out there agrees. I will wash anything else. But I leave the cups for my roommates.

Like I said on Twitter. Love this. Best birthday present yet.

Amy February 22, 2011 at 10:17 am

And as I said…wish I could make you up a batch. In person. And serve it to you with a pretty bow. Hell, I’d even clean up afterward. Ya, that’s how much I love you.

Mom February 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

Along with the dish, the crispy topping looks really good. However, cauliflower just won’t work for half of this household. And you know which half!

Amy February 22, 2011 at 10:16 am

Just make him pick the cauliflower out!

Paul February 22, 2011 at 8:39 am

Look, I require a very heavy salt intake to maintain my pearly smile and girlish figure. And your shampoo seems to work wonders on my hair. Of course, I smell like a spring garden after. . .

This dish was, well, d-lish.

Amy February 22, 2011 at 8:52 am

Every time you add salt, it’s like poo-pooing on the meal. However, because of that smile of yours, I will forgive you. Sort of. <3