Roasted Parmesan Creamed Onions

Roasted Parmesan Creamed Onions | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on February 24, 2011 · 34 comments

Martha, Ina, Giada – all very reliable sources for excellent meals. But Lisa at The Cutting Edge of Ordinary is really the one who tends to feed my family on a regular basis. And when she says, “You have to make this!”…well…I make it!

She has naturally supplied me with another great recipe.

You know those dishes where only half of it actually reaches the table…because you kept taking a taste? Ya. This gets filed in that category. I loved this so much, I made it two nights in a row.

If caramelized onions make you happy, this one is a must. Sliced onions, which are roasted in a Parmesan/cream/wine bath; the sauce permeates each onion ring and makes every bite luscious.

Silly onion. How can you be so bitter and make me cry, but then turn around to be so sweet and make me smile? You may play a supporting character more times than not, but I know you’re the real genius behind the starring role.

Roasted Parmesan Creamed Onions

• 4 medium to large yellow onions
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt & pepper
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1/4 cup of white wine
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

Peel and slice the onions into 1/4 inch thick slices. Carefully place them on a parchment lined baking sheet, keeping the rings intact. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.

While the onions are roasting, place the heavy cream and wine in a small saucepan and simmer until it starts to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat and set aside.

Once onions are removed from oven, raise the temperature to 450. Carefully transfer them to a shallow baking dish, again, keeping the rings intact. Slowly pour the cream sauce over all the onions. Sprinkle each onion with the Parmesan cheese.

Cover baking dish with foil and return to the oven for another 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5 minutes, letting the onions get brown and caramelized.

(from Lisa at The Cutting Edge of Ordinary, originally from Proud Italian Cook)

Tiffany April 26, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Oh I just stumbled upon this and now i have to make it..tonight~!
I’m thinking it’d be divine over tilapia!

Amy April 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Hi Tiffany – I hadn’t thought about serving it over something, as opposed to a side. I love the idea…and I love tilapia.

Erin April 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Oh my word… this is RIGHT up my alley!! Onions? Yes, please. Parmesan? YES, please. Only one little setback here… I have a slight aversion to cooking with wine – don’t ask, I couldn’t answer you anyway. Could I substitute chicken stock?

Amy April 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Greetings Erin – Hm. I hate to say no, but…the wine lends to the richness of this dish. However, I am never ever above experimentation. Since you have nothing to compare it too, you may love it. So, I say try it and report back!

elizabeth / sophisticated pie March 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm

yum! These look amazing. I must try!!

Megan February 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Oh gawd! this looks out of this world. I have to try it!

Kate February 27, 2011 at 7:28 am

My God – I saw this at 1028 in the morning and had to stop myself from getting up to make them. These are going on my table as soon as I can manage.

Amy February 27, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Ha! That’s funny…I actually try not to read food blogs at nighttime anymore, to avoid going to bed hungry. I hope you make this – it’s already going to be included in my regular rotation. Thanks for coming by Kate!

5 Star Foodie February 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm

These onions sound wonderful with this creamy wine sauce, would sure love to try!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 26, 2011 at 4:53 am

What a delicious way to serve onions! I can see from the ingredients why it is tasty:-)

Laurel February 25, 2011 at 9:34 am

YUM! a similar recipe has been a favorite in our house, and I’ve made it with onion, but if you substitute it with fennel for the onion and Pernod for the white wine…. also a stunner!!!

Carrie February 25, 2011 at 6:54 am

Ooh, what a gorgeous recipe! I think that I just might use onions in every single meal that I cook, but I’ve never had anything like this. It’s going on my menu soon for sure!

envie recipes February 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Just lovely…can’t wait to try this to accompany something from the grill. Thanks!

Heather February 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Wow…that looks awesome. I <3 onions too!! I definitely need to make this…pronto! Thanks for sharing!

Ethan February 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm

If you make something two nights in a row, that’s always a good sign!
Long live onions, parmesan cheese and cream!

Mom February 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Anything with onions and/or garlic passes the test in this house. How can you go wrong with onions, cream, cheese and wine! This dish looks delicious, and can’t wait to try it.

Eliana February 24, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Caramelized onions are my new favorite thing to make and eat. I just love how they melt in my mouth. So I can only imagine how much I am going to love these roasted onions. They look amazing!

DessertForTwo February 24, 2011 at 6:13 pm

You know, more and more I’m getting my recipes from fellow food bloggers rather than tv or cookbooks. Food bloggers are so talented! And I love it when they make recipes from other sources and rate them so you can decide if you want to make it too. You don’t have to create your own recipes to be a great blogger!

Amy February 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Thanks, Christina! That’s probably the best compliment I’ve received all week. And I agree…so many wonderful bloggers out there who provide and endless supply of fantastic recipes. I am humbled to be a part of them.

Amanda February 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I love onions, these sound so good!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) February 24, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Wow, this looks so super glamorous and creamy. Amazing that it’s made with just a few simple ingredients. I love that this showcases the onion, which is usually just a side attraction!
Rivki @Healthy Eating for Ordinary People

Joanne February 24, 2011 at 5:11 pm

The onions sound like they have a Y chromosome to me. One minute they’re making you cry, and the next you are curling up into bed with them and swearing that you’ll never let them go…sigh. Hate to love them.

This recipe sounds so delicious! I think I need it in my life. Probably tomorrow. Maybe with a little less heavy cream. Who knows. crazy things might happen.

Amy February 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Ya. And if you cook them too long, they could burn. (Another male analogy in there, me thinks.) Make it…and leave in the cream. Live a little!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm

That picture! I want to take a Parmesan/cream/wine bath, that sounds very luxurious! This sounds amazing, it’s hard to go wrong with those ingredients.

Amy February 24, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I love it…if a parmesan/cream/wine bath is good enough for onions, why not us! Lol. Man, can you imagine how wonderful your skin would feel afterward?

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary February 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I knew you would love these. I made them 3 times already, and I have to confess, once I ate the entire pan myself, not all at once, but still…..those onions are just so hard to resist. Thanks for your kind words lady, you know I feel the same way about your blog. Love ya lady.

Amy February 24, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Believe me, I did not want to share. I might just make them for lunch this weekend…just for me! Love you back, lady. *MWAH*

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme February 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm

That is simply gorgeous! The photo alone is making my mouth water. Yummy.

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo February 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Oh. My. GOD. This is going to become one of my favorite recipes, I can feel it. I <3 onions. Especially when they're smothered in cream and cheese. This HAS to be included on next weeks menu. Pairing suggestions?

Amy February 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I served it with grilled chicken, which I thought worked really well. I can’t remember if you eat meat? If so, I nice steak would be perfect.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen February 24, 2011 at 12:04 pm

These look amazingly delicious! My husband will think he’s died and gone to heaven when I make these!

Anne February 24, 2011 at 10:37 am

Can you believe my brother doesn’t like onions? I know, he’s the weird one in the family. This looks “screen-lickin’” good. And Lisa’s blog is beautiful!

Amy February 24, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I can’t imagine not liking onions…what about onion rings? Oh wait, that’s fried. Anything fried tastes good.