Beef Gyros

Easy Beef Gyros | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on March 3, 2011 · 34 comments

We have two Beagles. Yep. Hounds. Their entire existence revolves around food. They can (and do) finish off a bowl of kibble within seconds.

I’ll admit, that they’ve slowed down a bit, now in their 12th year – not quite as quick when a grape falls to the floor. But there are certain items that lights a fire under them. A fight to the death!

Cheese, almonds, popcorn, and beef.

If I ever gave them a bowl containing these four items, all together, the drool that would immediate follow could fill up a well.

Same thing happens when I make these Gyros. They are immediately at my feet. Different than taco meat, meatballs, hamburger patties…something about these Gyros.

Ebi, looking up at me with those eyes that say, “Pretty please. Just this once. I won’t tell Dad. Swear.”

Or Ginger, “I just know something’s going to fall. I just know it. Today’s the day. I’d sooner get stepped on than move.”

Maintaining their girlish figures is no small feat. With sweet faces like those, I want to give them everything. But I don’t…which is why they’re going to live for another 10 years forever.

This is an imitation Gyro, made with sirloin instead of the traditional lamb, and the seasoning is a Greek mix that you can buy at any market. The sauce is an authentic yogurt mixture.

They are simple, quick, and incredibly tasty. I make them often for lunch. No dog human can resist them.

Beef Gyros
Total time: 30 minutes

• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
• 1 tablespoon chopped onion
• 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 pound sirloin, cut into thin one-inch strips
• 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 6 soft pita breads, warmed
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
• 1 large cucumber, julienned
• Lettuce leaves (optional)

For the sauce, combine yogurt, chopped cucumber, onion, mint, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Toss sirloin with the Greek seasoning. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add sirloin and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes or until cooked through.

Divide sirloin strips among the warmed pitas. Top with tomato, cucumber, and lettuce (if using.) Drizzle the sauce over the top. Serve immediately.

Cyndy Carpentieri March 16, 2014 at 11:15 am

These looks very easy to make, and I love gyros…I’m going to have to try this one!

marla washburn August 2, 2011 at 6:23 am

I made these last night! Oh my gosh….wish I would have had enough left over for lunch today. I think they are on the menu for next week!! Thanks for sharing!

Amy August 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Greetings Marla! I’m so glad they turned out for you. I make them often…and there’s never enough for us either! Thanks so much for stopping by. I love it :D

Elle March 10, 2011 at 7:58 am

These look fabulous! I’m not a big fan of lamb, so the sirloin is a nice substitute. My husband would be thrilled to pieces if I made these! (My dogs would, too.)

Stephanie March 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm

If my baby wasn’t a hound, I’d say that Ebi and Ginger are the cutest little hounds I’ve ever seen. I’m sure you can understand why they come in a close second. :)

The BEST part of any Greek food will ALWAYS be the yogurt sauce. No question about it. But if I had to talk about the meet and all the other stuff, I’d say yours looks quite delish. You make too many things that make me want to come over for dinner. Those little faces don’t help, either.

P.S. I’m afraid that once the human babies come along, Kramer will still own my heart. Is that bad? I know I’m normal…

Amy March 7, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Life without Ebi and Ginger? It’s unimaginable to me. But human babies are on a totally different playing field. You can’t believe it until it happens. Start stocking up on dog toys for when the guilt kicks in!

5 Star Foodie March 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm

The gyros sound excellent, very flavorful and delicious looking! Your dogs are so adorable!

Ethan March 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Dogs and gyros, works for me! Ebi and Ginger are crazy cute, you must be strong-willed to not “accidentally” drop a gyros or two on the floor.

pam March 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Smudge gives me that look when I bring home a rotisserie chicken from the store.

Katie March 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I just had something very similar to this on my lunchbreak today. Now I can make it on my own! Thanks!

Debi(Table Talk) March 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Your beagles are adorable! I know that look very well…we have 2 labradoodles who run to the kitchen when they hear the sound of Parmegino Reggiano being grated.
So rewarding to see how much they appreciate a little something other than dry kibble~ can’t hurt, right?

Amy March 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Labradoodles…CUTE. I can totally understand the cheese love. I mean, I go running into the kitchen if my husband slices some smoked Gouda ;-) Thanks for stopping by Debi! Your website is beautiful.

Melissa March 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Love love love gyros.

Love Ebi and Ginger more. My god… their faces… I can’t…

Amy March 4, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I know. Try living with them. They’re not spoiled at all or anything ;-)

Anne March 4, 2011 at 8:42 am

I’ve got to stop reading your blog when I’m hungry. It’s really getting to be too much on my appetite. Oh-and those pups are just too cute. I can’t believe they don’t weigh 200 lbs with mugs like those. I would’ve given them my whole plate.

Amy March 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I’ve had to learn not to read food blogs late at night, otherwise I eat a bag of potato chips before bedtime. It’s amazing that *I* don’t weigh several hundred pounds.

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls March 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Your dogs are so adorable! This gyros sounds and looks soooo yummy!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Delishhh March 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm

OMG adorable dogs!! So cute! And Gyro, some of my favorite food, looks delicious. I have actually never made it.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen March 3, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Oh yeah, your dogs are adorable!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen March 3, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I’ve never had a Gyro, yep I live under a big rock! I have lots of beef, so I will have to give em a try.

Mom March 3, 2011 at 5:37 pm

What a yummy lunch or light summer dinner. Great pictures of Ebi and Ginger, too.

Amy March 3, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Ebi and Ginger are like Paul – incapable of taking a bad picture. Of course a little treat to get them to stay still doesn’t hurt :D

Joanne March 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Oh my god Amy!!! They are just the most cutest things ever! If you ever feel the need to send one to NY, they have a home with me. My mom is always trying to keep us from feeding our dog people food. She’s a tiny little maltese poodle mix and she gained three pounds per her last vet visit. My mom was quite mad.

Those gyros look seriously awesome. I have a thing for street food turned more delicious. And this is it.

Amy March 3, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Thanks, Joanne! They are my first babies – before the human ones arrived. Worst thing for a dog is table scraps. My mom has been trying to make my Dad understand that…for about 40 years.

If you ever crave beef, which I know is a rarity, make these. At least do it for the yogurt sauce. You’d love it.

createwithmom March 3, 2011 at 2:49 pm

looks delicious
cute puppy

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary March 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm

OMG, those pups are precious! Look at those faces…adorable…and those gyros don’t look so bad either, lol.

Amy March 3, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Ever since making it onto the Jones Soda bottles, the celebrity has gone to their heads. They’re so spoiled. I’ve decided I want to come back in my next life…as them…with me as the owner.

Cathy March 3, 2011 at 11:54 am

Oh, the gyro looks good and all, but: the dogs are adorable!!! They need their own website.

Actually I read your post and said, “I want that for lunch.” Kid said, “You just had lunch.” Traitor.

Amy March 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Lol. Oh my goodness. I miss you, Cathy. *sob*

Eliana March 3, 2011 at 11:51 am

I would be at your feet to if you were making these around me too. Looks delicious. And your doggies are too precious for words.

Jude March 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

Aww, come on, just a little taste for the girls? Just a little…. ? ;)

Amy March 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm

If they’d savor it, as opposed to inhaling it…I might consider. Ginger doesn’t even chew anymore!

Paul March 3, 2011 at 11:44 am

Cheese, almonds, popcorn, and beef.

Put those in a bowl in front of me and I would fill a well with drool, too.

These are really yummy.

lo March 3, 2011 at 11:15 am

OH, yum. We’ve been known to make gyros at our house too. Usually with lamb — but I’d be willing to entertain the sirloin idea, since you suggested it ;)