Video: How to Cut and Clean Leeks

Post image for Video: How to Cut and Clean Leeks

by Amy Flanigan on March 24, 2011 · 21 comments

Fear not the leek! They are your friend. Really, they are. Sure, they’re big, and dirty, and finding room for them in the refrigerator can be challenging. But they are extremely easy to prep. And soooo worth it. Still don’t believe me? Jeez, what’s a gal gotta do around here…make a how-to video?

Well, okay. Done.

Watch. Enjoy. And go buy some leeks! (P.s. that’s my evil twin, because clearly I know there is no such word as garnishes. *hand meet forehead*)

Paul’s hilarious shirt? It’s one of my favorites. We got it from Snorg Tees. Click here to get one of your own.

Stephanie March 30, 2011 at 10:55 am

Better late than never, right?

You two just can’t make a bad video. You’re hilarious. And cute. And everything else that makes a good video. I <3 leeks.

Ethan March 27, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I really thought Paul was going to hack those poor leeks. I used leeks for the first time a few months ago and I did have to do a search on how to clean a leek. The video I found was not nearly as entertaining as this one!

Mom March 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Once again, laughed out loud. I’ve used leeks a few times and they either didn’t have much flavor and I didn’t care for them. Maybe mine have been defective! I’ll give them another try one of these days. Never thought of cutting them up before the rinse—good idea.

lo March 25, 2011 at 11:20 am

Srsly. Love the videos Amy.

And I totally get the ease of this method… but I’ve always avoided completely chopping the leeks before cleaning. Can you ASSURE me that you’re not washing away valuable flavor by chopping first? :)

Amy March 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Hm. You are a far more in depth/up scale cook than I, so I cannot make such promises in confidence. However, after rinsing, they still have that awesome fragrant strong onion-y smell, and I certainly have never noticed a compromise in flavor after cooking. Just the absence of dirt. Which is worth it to me ;-)

Anne March 25, 2011 at 10:40 am

You two are way too cute for words. Just too cute.
I love Paul’s t-shirts. Hail the smart aleck tee!

Amy March 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Aren’t they the best?! Love the shirts they send us. I want to make videos just so he can wear the shirts!

j March 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Love this! A veggie video! (I love leeks!)

Amy March 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Well then – YAY. Hopefully you were entertained and learned something. Like a saw has no place in the kitchen. And ya, how to clean and cut leeks properly.

Joanne March 24, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I have a long long night of studying ahead learning about every bacteria, virus, and parasite under the sun so this video on how to get dirt off of leeks was actually quite apropos. You don’t even want to know the kind of parasites you can get from eating dirt. Not cool.

And you also made me laugh. Hysterically. Which is more than my microbiology notes can say. Love ya!

Amy March 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm

You’re right. I do not want to know…sometimes ignorance is bliss. I’m a germ-a-phobe as it is. Don’t need to be scared of dirt too, thankyouverymuch.

Kathy - Cooking On the Side March 24, 2011 at 2:11 pm

This was very timely! I bought a huge leek at the farmers market this weekend but wasn’t entirely sure of how to clean it. Very glad I watched your video – now I know the one time I rinsed the cut leeks probably wasn’t sufficient (doh!). Next time I’ll go for the 4-5 rinses. Thanks! :-)

Amy March 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm

So glad it helped! I also think the key is cutting them first into the dice before rinsing. I saw someone a while back (unfamiliar with leeks) try to clean each stem while the leek was still whole, and then cut it up. Not only is that cumbersome, but it’s not effective at all.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary March 24, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I about wet myself when I saw Paul. OMG, too funny!!

I LOVE leeks, love them! I cook with them all the time.

One space saving tip…when I get them home I cut off the tops, wrap them in papertowel and keep them in the crisper draw. Takes up a lot less room!

Amy March 24, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Doh! Great tip. It never even occurred to me to do that. *hangs head in embarrassment*

Melissa March 24, 2011 at 11:44 am

Love. :D Thank you, and thank Paul, for always making me smile huge, huge, huge.

Amy March 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm