Snickerdoodle Muffins

Snickerdoodle Muffins from Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on March 29, 2011 · 29 comments

Did I totally jump the shark with the Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies? Because apparently it spread like internet wildfire last week and now I’ve got tons of college students following me. Sweet! (Hey, if I can help some students get through a boring lecture, study for an exam a little longer, or woo that special someone, I’m all for it. Hell, I wish I’d known about these cookies 25 years ago.)

Can you handle one more treat? I know. It’s painful, right? Butter, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla…I can see you’re all torn between reading on or vacuuming the house.

So, let’s continue.

What’s as good as a snickerdoodle cookie? A snickerdoodle muffin, of course. And why should you make these instead of snickerdoodle cookies?

Hm. You got me there.

I just love a good muffin. Love. Maybe it’s because they’re essentially little portable cakes. And what’s not to love about that?

I did a test run on these right before I was meeting my mom, Jen, Krysta, and Katie for the Nancy Silverton cooking demo. I tried one – you know, to make sure they were good enough for family and friends *wink* – and of course they were. They’re really soft and crumbly and snickerdoodle-y.

And they’re all gone. Leaving a hint of sadness throughout the house.

Snickerdoodle Muffins

• 2 1/4 cups flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/4 cup buttermilk (or whole milk)

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a muffin tin with liners. (Don’t use cooking spray, trust me!)

In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and combine. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

Add half of the dry ingredients to the bowl with the egg mixture and stir to combine. Add in the sour cream and buttermilk (or milk) and mix to combine. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter.

Using a cookie dough scoop, plop a scoop of batter into the bowl with the sugar/cinnamon. Gently roll the batter in the mixture. Place the ball into the muffin liner.

When you have completed all of the muffins, sprinkle the leftover cinnamon/sugar onto the tops of all of the muffins.

Bake the muffins for about 15 minutes or until they are golden on top and just baked through.

(from Heather Christo on Tasty Kitchen)

Mary G January 28, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I’m just curious…when you are supposed to add the butter and sugar and cream,,,Which cream…the cream of tartar or sour cream?

Amy @Very Culinary January 28, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Hi Mary – oh boy, those instructions were a bit confusing, weren’t they? I wrote this recipe up so long ago. Anyway, it was easier to rewrite than try to explain, so hopefully the revised instructions make more sense!

Brittany February 23, 2012 at 1:18 am

My hubby thinks they arent sweet enough..can we say loser haha I think they are perfect!!! Thank you so much they taste exactly like a snickerdoodle..(my fav cookie) I love how the toip is nice and crunchy and then the inside is nice and moist. I used whole milk. Thanks again for sharing =]

Brittany February 23, 2012 at 1:21 am

Also I used a measuring cup to drop the batter in the cinnamon sugar..I had to use my tiny spatula to get it out in one glop and that worked perfectly because I dont have a cookie scoop

Kari February 21, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Thank you Thank you for this recipe!! These were sooooooo good! I followed your recipe EXACTLY and they were perfect and delicious and scrumptous!! New favorite in my family!

Amy February 22, 2012 at 6:22 am

HEE :D I can feel your excitement! Which is pretty much the way I felt when I first made these. Thanks for writing in, Kari…it makes me so happy!!

Stephanie December 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I have made these muffins 3 times and they are delicious. The only problem is I must be doing something wrong because when I am ready to roll them, the batter is more like a thick pudding and the spread as soon as I drop them in the cinnamon sugar mixture and I make a huge mess. Any thoughts? I did find that if I mix the flour and sour cream in with a whisk it helps, but not much.

Amy December 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hi Stephanie. Hm. Nope, I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. The batter is pretty loose. I use a fairly large cookie scoop, then plop the batter into the cinnamon/sugar mixture and sprinkle that all over before gently rolling it and placing it in the liners. My fingers never really touch the raw dough. Maybe try that?

Cassie November 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I began keeping up with this site last week. Since then, I’ve made three of goodies. I must say, these were wonderful! I only had one muffin tin and things to do, so with the left-over batter, I filled a bread pan and made what I’ve been calling, a muffin loaf. It was so good! I simply mixed the cinnamon and sugar in with the rest of the batter and just for fun, still added a little on top of the pan before putting it in the oven. Muffin or loaf, I’ll eat it any day!

Amy November 7, 2011 at 6:02 am

That’s a great idea! I don’t think you can ever go wrong with flour and cinnamon :D – thanks for stopping by and following along. Cassie!

Sandi Benoit October 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

So much nicer looking than the spagetti/wienie’s!!! May even make these tonight!!! Dinner!!! :-)

Teri July 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm

These sound m-m-good!

Rebecca May 22, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I wanted to bake and stumbled across this recipe. It was a huge success! In the couple weeks after i first made them i must’ve made another 5 or 6 batches – and they all got inhaled. My boyfriend still requests them anytime I’m in the kitchen.
I’m just wondering how you do the cinnamon sugar batter dipping – i either get all the batter sticking to the spoon, piles of sugar in the muffin cups or really messy hands. Have you figured out a trick?

Amy May 22, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Greetings Rebecca! I’m so glad you like them…aren’t they yummy? Sounds like the problem lies in using a spoon. I use a cookie dough scoop that has a release lever, so I plop it directly into the batter, sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture on top, and then roll it around. My fingers never touch the sticky dough. Go get yourself one and making these muffins will be even more of a pleasure!

Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies April 3, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Mmm, looking at your muffins I’d say they certainly take precedence over the cookie. Besides, this way I could enjoy eat snickerdoodles for breakfast. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-11.html

Jen March 31, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I got to be a taste tester for these! Yea. They are so good that the bag had to be taken away from me, and I ate on BART, which, apparently, you’re not supposed to do. Can’t wait to make them…and give them away. Can’t have them in the house you know. :o)

Ali Grace March 30, 2011 at 6:09 pm

A snickerdoodle muffin? Yes!! Plus, they look so pretty. And I agree… what’s not to love about a portable cake version of the snickerdoodle cookie. Absolutely nothing! This recipe is a keeper. Thanks :)

Stephanie March 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

I’ve actually never had a snickerdoodle before, but I can’t imagine what’s not to like. I’m a huge muffin buff too, and these look just great. If you get the urge to make them again (which of course you will, won’t you?), feel free to send a “sample” my way! :)

Amy March 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm

You’ve never had a snickerdoodle before. Wha wha what???! Make some!!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 30, 2011 at 10:25 am

There is just nothing like a good muffin. I love the snickerdoodle flavor! Bring on the butter & sugar! :)

Danae (The Busty Baker) March 30, 2011 at 7:00 am

I love Snickerdoodles, and I’ve been looking for a muffin recipe to bake for awhile now. I think this just jumped to the top of the list! They look delicious! Thanks!

Mom March 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Yes, these were so good, and they looked just like the photo. What a great picture.

lo March 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Gotta love a good snickerdoodle, so why not a muffin? ;) Why not add a bit of cardamom to this recipe next time, along with the cinnamon? It’s my secret ingredient when I make the cookies.

Oh – and, does Paul know all about your new entourage of college aged boyfriends?!

Rivki Locker March 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm

These look wonderful. With all that butter and buttermilk…plus the yummy cinammon, these must be super rich and tasty! Thanks for sharing.

Joanne March 29, 2011 at 9:03 am

If there’s one dessert flavor that I adore, it’s snickerdoodles. That cinnamony buttery sugary flavor…oh it resonates in my bones. And makes me feel all tingly inside.

There’s little I can follow that up with that won’t sound perverse. But…suffice it to say, I’ll be making these soon. Perhaps tonight. To bring into class tomorrow and woo my classmates into falling in love with me. Depends on how much self control I feel like i have then :P

Anne March 29, 2011 at 7:52 am

Why do I read your delicious blog when I’m hungry and trying to put off lunch until 1PM? WHY. Sigh. Those crunkly cinnamon cracked muffins look divine. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to have to go eat my lunch at 11AM like a senior citizen.

Amy March 29, 2011 at 8:02 am

Hee hee. I make it a point of not reading food blogs at night, otherwise I go to bed starving. Also, before daylight savings time shifted again and it was getting dark super early, there were a few times when I served dinner at 4pm – it was definitely a flash forward to living in a retirement home.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel March 29, 2011 at 7:29 am

You had me at snickerdoodle :)

Amy March 29, 2011 at 7:40 am