Video: Cookies For Kids’ Cancer

Post image for Video: Cookies For Kids’ Cancer

by Amy Flanigan on April 5, 2011 · 30 comments

This video is dedicated to Gretchen and Larry Witt, in the memory of their son Liam, who would have been seven years old this year.

Thank you to the following food bloggers, who without their help, this video would not have been possible. I’m so proud to call you all my friends.

And thank you, Paul. Just…thank you.

Kim @ The Paper ApronOatmeal Cookies with Walnut Chunks
Kristy @ The Wicked Noodle
Annie @ A Good American WifeChewy Chocolate Cookies
Ethan @ Feeding Ethan – Applesauce Cookies
Lori @ Burp!Maple Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Cranberries
Melissa @ Alosha’s KitchenOatmeal Chocolate Chip and Pecan Cookies
Lily @ Saint Tigerlily
Rebecca @ Foodie with FamilyAmish Cookies
Stephanie & Billy @ Per l’Amore del CiboCream Cheese Thumbprints
…and that’s me with some Snickerdoodles with Cinnamon Chips

Click here for more information about Cookies For Kids’ Cancer. And here for the Cookies For Kids’ Cancer and Glad® bake sale initiative.

Laurie LeBlanc April 11, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Hi, I think this is such a great idea. I’m going to check if we can hold a bakesale at work!

Amy April 11, 2011 at 1:58 pm

That would be so so awesome! If you do, make sure to register your bake sale, so they can give you proper credit. register.cookiesforkidscancer.org

Kim April 10, 2011 at 7:39 am

Just wanted to say that this cause still has all of my friends and family buzzing with excitement– SO MANY people have written offering to help. And as a bonus, my blog hasn’t seen that much traffic since our old Joy the Baker days! ; ) I was particularly touched that my friends responded so beautifully to this cause. I’m so proud of all of these huge hearts! So, we are planning a bake sale and I’ll let you know when and where we do it. It may end up being an online sale which would be fun, too! Thanks again for being the catalyst for all of this goodness.

Amy April 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Weeeee! Love it, love it, love it. I was so emotional all last week about this – so many kind messages, so many huge hearts, perfect strangers telling me about their plans for a bake sale. It just restores my faith in humanity. And thank YOU for being a part of it all – for helping to move it forward. Thank you. *mwah*

OXO April 8, 2011 at 7:38 am

We can’t stop watching and sharing this video. Thank you for being so amazing Amy and Paul! This means so much to us!

Amy April 8, 2011 at 9:01 am

Happy to do it! Love you guys. <3

Saint Tigerlily April 6, 2011 at 2:09 am

This is amazing. You are amazing. So proud to be a part of something so beautiful and for such a worthy cause.

x

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels April 5, 2011 at 8:40 pm

This video is so beautiful and made my cry. It’s so incredible to see all of you make a video in honor of Liam and for such an amazing cause. All of you are just incredible. :) I had to watch it again because I adored it.

Jennifer April 5, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Thank you for this wonderful video. I got the link from Gretchen. My daughter was in treatment with Liam. We are one of the lucky few. My Ila Jean is a 3 year survivor and doing wonderful. I love what you’ve done here, very simple, yet creative. It reminds us how easy it is to bake a batch of cookies, but this time we can put those cookies to a good cause. I’ll be sure to share the link for this video. I know it will be a “hit”!

Jenny

Kim April 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I sent this link to friends and family today but I couldn’t watch the video myself until I got home. It’s exactly what I expected from you guys– lovely, sweet, good, true, kind, gentle, thoughtful, real, heartbreaking and eye opening. And although this is the first video of yours that I didn’t laugh at, my smile is as wide as my out-stretched arms.

It’s so touching to hear from Gretchen. I can imagine that this warmed her heart. It sure warmed mine.

I truly hope this helps get the word out and raises money and awareness for this desperately needed research. Bravo Amy and Paul. You done good.

Anne April 5, 2011 at 11:44 am

Amy and Paul, you too are tops. I am so happy to be a part of this project. Thank-you for asking me. Not to mention all of your hard work!

xo, Anne

Mom April 5, 2011 at 11:25 am

I watched this video twice and loved the bakers, music and cookies all promoting a good cause.

Rachel April 5, 2011 at 10:15 am

Wow! I teared up watching this – So inspiring – I am so impressed with the effort put in to making this video to honor Liam and also the mission of cookiesforkidscancer.org – Just blew me away knowing people care so much about children living with cancer. You don’t have to be a parent of a child with cancer to care. This video proves it!

Amy April 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

Rachel, so true! You don’t have to be a parent with a sick child, or a parent at all, in some cases, to care about this. Many of my friends are not parents, but have unbridled compassion and capacity to love. And they recognize and support a wonderful cause. And I am grateful to them.

Liam's Mommy Gretchen April 5, 2011 at 9:52 am

Oh. Gosh. Thank you. All. So much.

Liam loved to love. And he loved to bake. To him, baking was love. It’s the reason why we had his memorial service on Valentine’s Day, the day of love, which is what Liam represented in its purest form. I can’t begin to tell you how much I miss my sweet baby boy. It’s awful losing a child to cancer. It’s even more awful knowing it’s the #1 disease killer of children in the U.S. and yet it gets such a small amount of funding for research. So if we need to make up the difference by baking, well then with the help of passionate people like you and the food blogging community…that’s what we’ll do….until there are no more pediatric cancer trials to fun and then we can bake just for the pure joy of it.

A million thank yous,
Gretchen + Liam

Amy April 5, 2011 at 11:44 am

Oh, Gretchen. Your story…there are just no words. While I cannot relate to your loss specifically, I am a mother. So I can feel your pain in a different way. I hope our small video reaches the masses and raises oodles of money, so other parents of kids with cancer do not have to experience such a casualty. With much love to you xoxo Amy

Rebecca April 6, 2011 at 6:31 am

Gretchen. I was so pleased to be able to honour your Liam. I hope money just pours in to help raise funds. My boys pitched in as the cameramen for my shots in the video. From us to you, thank you for doing what you do and keeping on. I’m sure Liam is proud of you.

And Amy- Thank you so much for letting us take part in this. We’re all so grateful!

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate April 5, 2011 at 9:49 am

Beautifully done! I’m off to the Food Blog Forum in Orlando this weekend and will be sharing the idea there!
Thank you!

Amy April 5, 2011 at 11:50 am

Lael, that would be fantastic. The whole idea is to raise money for research through bake sales (or other donations)…our video is just a way to get the message out. I would appreciate it so much if you would help spread the word. Every voice counts!

Jen April 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

This makes me want to cry. It is so well done. Maybe I’ll even be able to get some people together at work to do this and donate.

Amy April 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

That would be so awesome, Jen. And who doesn’t love to buy cookies? Do it!!

Joanne April 5, 2011 at 9:09 am

I love this Amy! It turned out beautifully and I wish I could have gotten my act together to take part in it!

lo April 5, 2011 at 7:56 am

Oh. My. Gosh.
Paul and Amy – You’re both brilliant. And I love you for the way you’ve reached out and made a difference this way. Most of all, I love you for letting me be involved in such a beautiful project.

Now — all of you onlookers — get thee to your kitchens and bake for a good cause!

Stephanie April 5, 2011 at 7:45 am

You two have really outdone yourselves. This is just a gorgeous video, and it was mine (our) pleasure to be a part of it. Lots of love to you, and here’s to kicking the bake sale goal’s butt!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary April 5, 2011 at 7:24 am

You made me tear up dammit!

I so wish I could have been a part of this, but as you know, things got a little crazy for us. I was with you all in spirit. Love the ending with all the happy faces and their cookies!

You are a good woman Amy. A very good woman (and Paul ain’t so bad either).

Amy April 5, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I so wish you could have taken part too :( But you have some big fish to fry right now. Your family is just as important.

Ethan April 5, 2011 at 6:54 am

Ironic…you’re thanking me and all the other cookie-makers and it’s me (and I’m sure all of them) that want to thank YOU for asking us to be a part of this wonderful project.
As always, everything about the video was perfect.
Thinking of Gretchen & Larry on Liam’s 7th birthday and everyone else who has lost someone they’ve loved.