Sherry Mushrooms with Pine Nuts

Post image for Sherry Mushrooms with Pine Nuts

by Amy Flanigan on April 7, 2011 · 16 comments

Time to talk about my friends again. I can’t help it! They’re all so great.

Cher’s at bat.

She looks like a pixy doll. Super cute, teeny-tiny, with fashionable glasses and a really fun/ky hair style that few can pull off. She has a natural laugh that immediately puts you at ease and a great sense of humor. She’s also one of my top confidants when it comes to bragging and complaining about my kids. Truly one of the easiest people to be around. Bonus: her offspring are the same gender and ages as mine…and she lives down the road from me. Luck? Fate? Who knows. I don’t question such fortune.

But wait, there’s more! She and her husband are part of a cooking/food group. Which they invited us to one time. How marvelous is that?

I adapted this appetizer which she made at one of the past gatherings. It was yummy. And a nice surprise for me because mushrooms rarely make an appearance at my house. I’ve given up hiding them in dishes – no matter how tiny the pieces, Haley and Trevor find them. And in the end, I wind up with a gazillion mushroom bits on my plate. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. But if I want a pile of mushrooms in front of me, I’d prefer it be part of the original plan.

And guess what? We are regular members of the food group now. Ya. Cher made it happen. Told you she was great.

Sherry Mushrooms with Pine Nuts

• 3 tablespoons olive oil + more for drizzling
• 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 (8 ounce) container cleaned and sliced Button mushrooms
• 2 (8 ounce) containers cleaned and sliced Cremini (baby bella) mushrooms
• 1/3 cup dry sherry
• 1/2 cup pine nuts
• 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 large french baguette, cut into 1/4 inch slices, and drizzled with olive oil

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until beginning to brown.

Stir in mushrooms, sherry, and pine nuts; continue cooking until mushroom juices have almost evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and season generous with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.

While mushrooms are sitting, place baguette slices on a baking sheet under the broiler for a few minutes (watching carefully that they don’t burn.) Spoon some of the mushroom mixture over each slice and serve immediately.

Maureen May 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I know, I’m late on this. I saw this reposted on yumivore and couldn’t resist clicking the link. I’ve often made this mushrooms and different herbs but I’ve never used the crunch of toasted pine nuts. Great idea!

Stephanie April 18, 2011 at 6:28 am

Let’s just pretend that this comment is on time, and not over a week late. Mmmmk?

I despise mushrooms. But at this very moment, I wish I didn’t. This sounds really delish. Plus, how can you go wrong with wine and bread? Maybe someday I’ll be a mushroom lover.

Amy April 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Ha. No worries. It’s all good…including the mushrooms!

roz April 10, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’ve got all of these ingredients on hand and am going to make these TONIGHT! Thanks for sharing!

Amy April 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Oh, that’s so great! Enjoy!

Ethan April 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Another reason to live in CA, I want to join food groups and eat little mushroom crostini’s with you!

Amy April 9, 2011 at 6:21 pm

We’re waiting for you! *tapping foot* :D

wgfoodie April 8, 2011 at 4:23 am

Yum! Sounds like the perfect appetizer!

lo April 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Love the idea of a food group. And if I lived closer, I’d totally create one and make you join it :)

Of course, those mushrooms look pretty delicious too. I’m a sucker for fungus…

Amy April 8, 2011 at 6:09 am

Make me? I’d start stalking you until you let me in. Like with your soup group. Fungus…I love that word. I want to get another dog, just so I can name him that.

Joanne April 7, 2011 at 4:01 pm

A food group sounds like so much fun! These are the kinds of friends I need. I’d officially like to replace some of mine for ones who don’t like to ruin their livers every Friday night. Mmmkay?

I have to admit, I’m not the biggest mushroom fan. But you make these sound so damn appealing.

Dad April 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Okay, here’s what I learned: 1. Every ingredient including the guy named Crostini is right up my palette; 2. Haley and Trevor have become beagles a la Ebi and Ginger and can now find scraps of food anywhere. and 3. Cher is your wealthiest friend and you should cultivate the relationship, not from a gold digger’s perspective, but because she may be the last person in the “food group” outside of those who drive Corvettes on their shows, but a Ferrari in person, who can afford pine nuts. Even at Costco, you have to buy the pine tree and four tires to get 8 ounces of pine nuts.

I could certainly make a meal and TV snack and entree and postree and dessert out of this little snack. Just get out my Benedryl, and be prepared for my usual reaction. I honestly would not mind shedding this mortal coil for a sliced baguette with pine nuts, shrimp and lobster entree, and an abalone draft choice. I’ll be broke but happy, and where else can you get a combo like that?

Nice job on the pix, Ame, but how could you go wrong?

Amy April 8, 2011 at 6:05 am

No doubt. Of course Haley’s favorite nuts are cashews and pine nuts. That girl’s got expensive taste.

I forgot how much you like pine nuts…buy two baguettes and eat these for dinner, instead of an app.

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) April 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I wish I had a food group! What fun. These look wonderful. I am slightly obsessed with recipes with sherry now. I bought a really nice quality sherry and am always looking for ways to use it. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

What a great idea for an appetizer! They look delicious.