Honey-Orange Glazed Ham

Post image for Honey-Orange Glazed Ham

by Amy Flanigan on April 19, 2011 · 15 comments

This is not an Easter ham. Unless, of course, you want it to be. Then sure. But…we don’t celebrate Easter. (Except for the part where we stuff plastic eggs with prizes and create a scavenger hunt around the house. But really, that’s more because it’s fun and keeps the kids from feeling like outcasts amongst their circle of friends.)

I suppose we would celebrate Easter if it mattered to Paul. But it doesn’t. And since I’m the one who would do all the planning…well, you can see where I’m going with that.

I’m actually sitting here, pausing in between key strokes to take a bite of matzo, spread mile high with chopped chicken liver. But yesterday, I ate this ham. Ah, the fun of a blended family!

This is my Mom’s ham. A ham that she makes all year round. My favorite ham. A ham that I have wanted to make for a few months now. But every time I went to my local market, they didn’t carry them. Finally, last week, I got the sense to ask the butcher, who said, “Oh, that’s a seasonal item for us.” WHAT? In my good ear? How is a bone-in half shank ham seasonal? Time to go to another market, I say.

And so I did. Voila! I finally made it.

But then I thought, “I should hold off writing about it, because everyone will think this is for Easter,” which was followed by “But there are a lot of people who do celebrate Easter, and maybe they’re looking forward to something of that nature.”

Seriously. These are the thoughts that consume my brain.

Crickets.

So, for all you Easter-celebrating folk, here’s an awesome ham that you must make for holiday dinner. And for all you non-Easter folk, here’s an awesome ham that you need to make for a non-holiday dinner.

Using a fully cooked ham takes a lot of the guess work out of it, but you still want the thermometer. This will guarantee the ham is warmed through, but not dry. The glaze is the real star of the show. The glaze is just…sigh…sweet and tangy and rich. So so good. Just ignore your 3YO when he still asks for ketchup *facepalm*

Honey-Orange Glazed Ham
Cook time: 1 3/4 – 2 hours

• 1 fully cooked bone-in half shank ham (6-7 pounds)
• handful of whole cloves
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup orange juice

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a small bowl, mix together the honey, brown sugar, and orange juice; set aside.

Using a sharp knife, cut off the hard rind and some of the fat around the ham; score the ham in a diamond pattern. Stud the ham with the cloves, placing them in the slits.

Place ham cut side down on a rack in a shallow pan. Drizzle 1/3 of the glaze over the ham, spreading evenly. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 130-140 (approx. 1 3/4-2 hours depending on how many pounds your ham is.) Drizzle the glaze 2-3 more times during the cooking process, spacing as evenly as you can, with the final drizzle during the last half hour.

Let ham rest for 15 minutes before carving.

Linda May 10, 2014 at 11:33 am

Looks like a winner! We have ham fairly often through the year. You can do so much with the leftovers! Ham and Cheese Quiche. Ham sandwiches. Ham casseroles. But a word about cloves – bleh! If you’ve ever bitten into one you’ll know what I mean! And there’s always one that hides. Thanks for the recipe!

Stephanie April 25, 2011 at 11:16 am

I’ve never been a huge fan of ham (hence the non-bacon lover in me), but this glaze sounds really good. Plus, sweet glazes on ham always work. I hope you enjoyed your non-Easter weekend!

Lana April 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I chuckled when you mentioned “blended families” and your husband complete disinterest in eggs and Easter. We are the same way, and my husband can care less, but prompted (by me:), he will hide the eggs (even though that is not the tradition in Serbia where I grew up) . I will color the eggs with the girls and make a nice dinner featuring lamb, and that’s it for Easter. But we love ham and buy one or two when they are available (as you pointed out, they are a seasonal item:)
My oldest loves the orange-cloves glaze, and as soon as it is ham time, I’ll make your mother’s ham (as my mother never made it, and Husband’s was a lousy cook, we need “family” recipes).

Amy April 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Well what’s funny is that Easter is his holiday, not mine. And yet he’s not interested in it. Nonetheless, since we have kids, I try to make it fun for them. We enjoyed a ballgame and cotton candy today – not exactly Easter fare. But it was wonderful. This ham should be eaten all year round, though. Why deprive ourselves over one holiday, right?

Jim April 21, 2011 at 10:45 am

Yummy lookin” ham. Saw it on TasteSpotting. My faith in bribery and flattery is restored !

Amy April 21, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Thanks Jim! It tastes just as good as it looks :D So glad you stopped by. Just browsed your catalog of food photos…I’m so beyond hungry now.

Cathy April 20, 2011 at 4:01 am

I don’t know about the ham, but I really love this post. It’s so well-written. And that’s no ham. I mean it!

Amy April 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Well I’ll be hot damned. Coming from a professional writer, I accept that as the highest praise possible! Or maybe you’re just extremely tied from your new job and aren’t thinking clearly? <3

Dad April 19, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I only wish Mom made it year ’round! No, there has to be a holiday before I get a ham like that. There should be a National Ham Week … or Month. And with this ham, what’s left over shouldn’t be called “leftovers.” They’re another yummy meal (singular), and maybe one sandwich. Speaking of “blended families,” I trust you remember my definition of cultural diversity. Ham on bagel (gotta be Gulden’s mustard, btw).

Amy April 19, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I had no idea Mom made this so infrequently…seems like we’ve had it a few times in the past year? It’s so easy! I made a ham sandwich today with what was left. I don’t want it to be gone. Ham and bagel…you sinner ;-)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel April 19, 2011 at 10:53 am

We don’t traditionally celebrate and even though I’m not a fan of ham – that ham looks amazing!

Melissa April 19, 2011 at 9:56 am

Oh lord. Amy. I want. I *LOVE* ham and that picture is making my yearn, hardcore.

Amy April 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I know sweet isn’t really your thing, but the added cloves give the glaze that extra zing of distinct flavor. I think you’d love it.

Joanne April 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

Well I never really tend to think of a ham as seasonal…but come to think of it, my parents never make it at any time other than easter.

I’ll be studying for the boards instead of celebrating this year. But I’ll be sure to pass the recipe on. I have a feeling my parents’ ham could use a re-do…especially since I won’t be there to help them out. :P

pam April 19, 2011 at 9:46 am

Ham. Seasonal? That’s ridiculous!