Asparagus Muenster Melt with Pesto Spread

Asparagus Muenster Melt with Pesto Spread | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on May 3, 2011 · 13 comments

Somebody needs to invent a vegetable that tastes like a chocolate chip cookie. Come on all you food scientists! Let’s get going on that.

Haley likes green beans, soy beans, peas, tomatoes, bell pepper, spinach…ah, the list goes on and on. She’s such a good eater. I got spoiled with her and naturally thought Trevor would follow suit. But I blew it with him, so exhausted after he was born, with both of them (remember eye-rolling moms of 3 or more – it’s all relative!) that I gave him sweets way too early and completely destroyed any chance of him liking vegetables. He does like carrots…if the stars are completely aligned.  Thank goodness for fruit or I’d need to be committed.

Then there’s asparagus. Bitter, stinky-pee asparagus. He loves it. Go figure. I can grill it with olive oil, bake it with some balsamic vinegar, steam it with melted butter – and he loves it. Perhaps the fact that I’m perfectly fine with him munching on the stalks by hand, instead of cutting it up into pieces and eating it with a fork, is a major influence. Perhaps. Hey, it gets the job done.

This is one of my favorite sandwiches.

Asparagus Muenster Melt with Pesto Spread

The mild flavor and smooth, soft texture of the cheese, combined with salty prosciutto and sweet tomatoes is fantastic. Topped with the bite of asparagus carries it over the top. And since asparagus is in season right now, I’ve been making it a lot for lunch. While Haley’s at school.

Why when Haley’s at school, you ask? Because…there’s a catch.

Haley doesn’t like asparagus. Cruel joke #37.

I can’t win.

Asparagus Muenster Melt with Pesto Spread
Makes 4 melts

• 16 asparagus spears, tough ends removed
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• salt and pepper
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons pesto
• 2 ciabatta rolls, split in half
• 4 thin slices of prosciutto
• 4 large slices tomato
• 4 slices muenster cheese

Preheat broiler with rack 4-6 inches from the heat.

Whisk together mayonnaise and pesto in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside.

Drizzle asapragus with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning often, on a grill pan for about 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender.

Spread 2 tablespoons pesto mixture onto 1 side of each bread slice. Layer each slice with 4 asparagus spears, 1 prosciutto slice, 1 tomato slice, and 1 cheese slice.

Place on a baking sheet; broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.

(inspired by Cooking Light)

Print this recipe Save this recipe

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box by clicking on the “Save this recipe” link. Then, create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List!

Mom May 9, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I just made this the other day, and boy, was it good. I tried it out first before serving to you know who!
Now I can’t wait to make again.

Amy @Very Culinary May 10, 2014 at 7:49 am

Haha! Ya, there’s nothing about this that Dad wouldn’t like. Miracles do happen ;-) I make this all the time and never get tired of it.

Dad May 5, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Now there’s a combination I could go for. In fact, I think I already have. As good as any pizza!

Amy May 6, 2011 at 10:06 am

This has your name all over it. I actually think of you every time I make it.

Stephanie May 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Kids are crazy. I didn’t like nearly as many veggies as I do as an adult, but I guess that’s most kids, right? I love that Trevor likes asparagus though! This sandwich looks and sounds delish. I’d like one (or 10) for my upcoming flight, please!

Paula May 4, 2011 at 3:14 am

Now, doesn’t that just look divine?! *Adds it to the list* This? I am making. P~

Amy May 4, 2011 at 8:39 am

It is! And you can change up the different types of bread and cheese. Different combos…different sandwich every time. (Like you couldn’t figure that out, but hey…I like to point out the obvious.)

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary May 3, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Sounds delish. I find my 14 yr old is finally starting to try new things. You should have seen us all rejoice when he finally ate a pickle! We did the happy dance. Now he eats a jar a week. I created a monster. *sigh*

Amy May 3, 2011 at 1:56 pm

14! I have to wait 11 more years? I’ll go mad ;-)

Joanne May 3, 2011 at 10:26 am

Maybe trevor takes after my father. The man actually does like asparagus, of all things. It’s strange.

Thankfully, I also adore asparagus, so it’s the one thing we can agree on. I could eat it at every meal every day and be so so so content. This sandwich = love.

I am officially not giving my children sweets until they are 32. They are going to think veggies are chocolate whether they like it or not.

Amy May 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm

32. Lol. I wish I wouldn’t have given Trevor any cake or cookies until he was at least 3. Ah, woulda coulda shoulda. How can I fault him for having a sweet tooth…just like his mama.

DessertForTwo May 3, 2011 at 9:12 am

I’m pretty much terrified of having kids because my brother’s kids won’t eat a single vegetable. Not one. They eat: meat, bread & juice. And that’s it! It breaks my heart, and if my kids turn out like that, I don’t know what I’m going to do.

Love this sandwich! Looks like a great dinner for adults too :)

Amy May 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Hey Christina – well, if it’s any consolation every child is different (as I’ve demonstrated above.) Haley is a fantastic eater. At 5YO, she likes salad, fish, and most veggies. And personally, I think I ruined Trevor :( When the day comes, just make sure you don’t cater to them.