Nutella Banana Crepes

Post image for Nutella Banana Crepes

by Amy Flanigan on May 12, 2011 · 37 comments

Good God, how do you single parents do it?? Do you stick your kids in front of Curious George all day? Bribe them with candy? Medicate…them? Yourself?

Paul’s been traveling a bit for work, and while I adore my Rugrats, I sure as hell miss the help. There’s not a whole lot of cleaning going on around here. Instead, I have laundry that’s been sitting in the dryer for three days (that I’ve restarted several times to get the wrinkles out, only to let it sit again), a kitchen island that cannot be seen because of the abundance of magazines and rainbow drawings (a la Haley) covering it, and toys, toys, toys all over the place…as far as the eye can see.

My only saving grace is crepes. I’m not kidding. Because along with their simplicity, they can be stored in the refrigerator up to two days (covered), or in the freezer up to one month (stacked with layers of wax paper in between.)

I made a triple batch. And the kids and I have been eating them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They’re as versatile as crescent rolls, I tell ya. Serve warm or at room temperature, flat, rolled, or folded, sprinkled with powdered sugar, or filled with jam, honey, ham, cheese, potatoes, mushrooms…or in last night’s case, nutella and bananas.

Big shocker that these were everyone’s favorite ;-)

Nutella Banana Crepes
Makes 9 crepes
Resting time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes

• 4 large eggs
• 1 cup whole milk
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 tablespoon sugar
• 1 cup all purpose flour
• Unsalted butter
• 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Nutella
• 2 large ripe bananas, thinly sliced

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Whisk in the salt, sugar, and flour until well combined; set batter aside to rest for 15 minutes. Whisk once more before cooking.

In a nonstick 10 inch pan, melt a small amount of butter over medium heat. When the butter foams, ladle in 1/4 cup of batter in the center of the pan. Immediately lift the pan from the burner and swirl it so the batter coats the bottom of the pan. Replace the pan on the burner and cook the crepe until the batter is just set and the underside is lightly borrowed, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula or your fingers, flip the crepe in the pan, top with two tablespoons Nutella and a 1/4 thinly sliced banana. Cook until spread melts, about 1 minute. Fold in half or into quarters. Serve immediately.

(inspired by Gale Gand’s basic crepes)

Lori L. June 8, 2014 at 11:06 am

I have to say that I just made these…and they were slammin’ (which is a VERY good thing)!! I’ll admit that I am completely domestically challenged in the kitchen but this recipe was very simple, even I could do it lol. I did, however, make one boo-boo and that was that I combined all the ingredients in the bowl at once, THEN wisked it (whoopsie), instead of just the milk and eggs then then adding in the other stuff in after. But it didn’t seem to make that much of a difference (I’m assuming). I’ll do it the right way next time, now that I read the recipe completely!

THANK YOU!

(Ps I made these for the boyfriend and he LOVED them too!)

Amy @Very Culinary June 8, 2014 at 11:49 am

Awesome! I’m so glad you guys enjoyed them. We do, too. What’s not to love, right? Thanks, Lori!

Rochelle January 10, 2014 at 12:40 am

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for your simple recipe! I made them tonight and they were AMAZING!!! These are definitely a hit with me and my two year old. Keep up the good work. I love this recipe and thank you again for sharing!

Amy @Very Culinary January 10, 2014 at 7:25 am

Awesome!!

Lee September 18, 2012 at 1:28 am

Even better, once the kids are in bed make a few of these, just add some Baileys, about half a shot per is perfect!!

Cat January 25, 2012 at 7:44 pm

May I ask a dumb question? Can I not use whole milk or will it change it if I don’t? I usually just have organic skim.

Amy January 25, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Greetings Cat. No such thing as dumb questions here! It’s a very valid one. But honestly, I don’t know. Obviously whole milk contains more fat than skim, and because of that it will effect the texture/density of the crepe.

Maybe try it with skim? It would be good to know what happens. BUT don’t shoot me if they don’t come out. I’ve only made these with whole milk, so I can only truly vouch for results using that. Deal?

theresa p October 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm

i used organic 1% and it came out just dandy :)!

Belinda June 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm

These sound yummy. I am not a fan of banana but I could easily switch them for strawberries or raspberies.

I also highly reccomend nutella pizza topped with strawberries and dusted with icing sugar. Sounds revolting I know, but it is seriously yummy.

Amy June 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Doesn’t sound revolting at all :D

Stephanie May 17, 2011 at 8:05 am

Anytime you need a temporary helper, give me a call. At least I know I’d be well fed. :)

I’m not a HUGE fan of creps (I know, shoot me), but anything with Nutella and bananas is hard to pass up….

kathleen May 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I love this combo! Totally killa!!!

Kim May 15, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Oh, I’m so hungry. I made some crepes about a week ago and they were gobbled up. We worked the jar of Nutella over and although we were actually sitting there, talking about our favorite Parisian crepe combo of Nutella and bananas, I didn’t make one. Instead, I had Nutella and Nutella– another favorite combo.

P.S. Paul is missing some good food!

Simply Life May 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Oh that is like my favorite meal and/or dessert ever!

daphne May 14, 2011 at 7:57 am

Oh I cannot resist as well. I used to have nutella by the spoonful!!! So paired in a crepe. It will make me very happy!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 13, 2011 at 9:51 am

My first and last Nutella crepe was in Paris, and it made for a very happy memory! I would LOVE to try these at home to make for an even happier one. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen S May 13, 2011 at 5:26 am

Oh, Amy…yum! Making a triple batch this weekend. Thanks for yet another fabulous recipe!

Erecipe May 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm

wow….so yummy… I love crepe. I can’t resist this one, good think I have my Free Nutritional Calculator to count how much calories and fats I will take each time I eat =)

lo May 12, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Oh, Lord. I don’t even LOVE nutella, but I think I could eat these all day long. Amy, can you adopt me for a few days? You’d make my perfect single mom ;)

Cathy May 12, 2011 at 6:34 pm

You are following up chocolate chip cookie pie with Nutella crepes. You are killing me.

Crepe up the good work.

Amy May 12, 2011 at 7:23 pm

It was sort of mean of me, I know. I trust you’ll forgive…

Joanne May 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Can you let me know the next time Paul is going to be away? I’ll be coming over to “help”. (AKA – eat crepes with you. I might fold your laundry. Maybe.)

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) May 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm

In the words of my daughter (who is reading this post and looking at that awesome photo): “Wow. Yummy.” :)

Amy May 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Since kids don’t lie, I take that as the highest compliment possible :D

@yumivore May 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I. Love. Crepes. Delicious and a huge favorite with kids. Sweet or savory. yummo!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary May 12, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Like I needed another reason to use Nutella!

I agree with your Dad, bribe ‘em with crepes. Whatever works!!

Amy May 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm

How come nobody ever bribes ME with crepes?

Anne May 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’m impressed you’re cooking, and yummy crepes too. Whenever Fred leaves I speed-dial Schewuan Delight.

Amy May 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Ha. Did I fail to mention the “making them ahead of time” part? Trust me, we’ve already been out to sushi and *gasp* Taco Bell. I sure wish we had a decent Chinese place near us.

Melissa May 12, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Mmmmm…this is my weakness! I lived in Paris for 5 months, and boy do they know how to do food (pastries)!! These little babies definitely contributed to my massive weight gain there…and I’m clearly siding 100% that they can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Throw a little (a lot) of nutella on there and I’m a happy camper! Pretty sure I’m making these this week!

Amy May 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Hi Melissa. No doubt…if I lived in Paris, I would invariably gain 50 lbs within a month. Guaranteed. The butter and cream alone…

Dad May 12, 2011 at 10:39 am

Bribe the kids with crepes. One crepe for sweeping. One for cleaning up toys. One for leaving you alone. I’ll even iron a short for one. ‘Course, the shirt will be mine, but you see how it works.

Amy May 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Crepe bribing isn’t really in their wheel house. However, if I have sour candies or tootsie rolls, look out. I can get them to do anything.

SunnyB@andloveittoo May 12, 2011 at 10:10 am

I was first introduced to Nutella as a topping for warm crepes (back before my GF/DF days)…these look heavenly. xo

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 12, 2011 at 9:00 am

Yum! One of my favorite things that I had in Paris!

DessertForTwo May 12, 2011 at 8:59 am

I’ve been wanting to try crepes, but this would cause my Southern roots would be called into question if anyone found out. So, I’m going to cook them secretly and not tell my mama. I’ve been waiting for a recipe that only makes a few, so thanks for this!

Ella @ The Single Girl's Kitchen May 12, 2011 at 8:50 am

oh man. i’m currently in a chocolate chip pancake coma, but if i weren’t, i’d be having these for lunch. i’ve never made crepes before, but nutella and bananas seem like a worthy reason to give it a shot.