Spicy Pork Asparagus Stir-Fry

Spicy Pork Asparagus Stir-Fry | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on May 17, 2011 · 21 comments

It’s 80 degrees. Then it’s 60. Then 80. Then 45 with rain and hail. Who can plan a menu when Spring is so fickle? So, instead of exerting too much brain power over it, we’ve just been eating paninis and the crepes. Truth be told, I’ve just been unmotivated lately. Don’t feel like designing, or writing, or cooking, or cleaning.

I’ve also been doing something fairly rare – watch TV. (Not because we’re anti-television, but because we’re usually too fried by the time the kids are asleep…we’re not far behind.)

The Notebook was on. And hello…I have to watch that (never mind that we own it on DVD.) Stayed up until 11pm. The next night I watched Iron Man until I couldn’t keep my eyes open (another one we own.) And then I did the unthinkable. I actually stayed up way too late watching an episode of Celebrity Apprentice for the first time. I was glued.

But then, fabulous Melissa posted this recipe.

Spicy Pork Asparagus Stir-Fry | Very Culinary

It knocked me back into my senses. Remember when I said I would choose Asian over Italian? This is why. Right here. I couldn’t live without meals like this one, which includes some of my favorite things: pork, asparagus, and sesame oil. It’s spicy, making your mouth tingle, but with a hint of sweetness, and served over rice making me so happy.

Spicy Pork Asparagus Stir-Fry | Very Culinary

I still don’t want to clean, but nothing is ever going to change that.

Spicy Pork Asparagus Stir-Fry

• 2 tablespoons + 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
• 4 teaspoons cornstarch
• 1 1/2 pounds ground pork (preferably coarsely ground)
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
• 1 pound thin asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
• 1 tablespoon chile garlic sauce
• 1/4 cup oyster sauce
• 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
• 4 scallions, diced

Whisk 2 tablespoons soy sauce, Shaoxing and cornstarch in medium bowl. Add pork and mix lightly to blend.

Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in heavy large wok (or deep skillet) over high heat. Add asparagus, ginger, and chile sauce. Toss until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer asparagus mixture to plate and set aside.

Add remaining tablespoon sesame oil to wok. Add pork mixture and stir-fry until browned, using spoon to break up pork into small pieces, about 4 minutes. Return asparagus mixture to wok. Add remaining 1/4 cup soy sauce, oyster sauce, and honey. Stir-fry until pork is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add scallions; toss to incorporate.

Serve over Jasmine rice.

(from Melissa at Alosha’s Kitchen)

Kiki March 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I made this dish last week for my family and we all loved it! I didn’t have enough asparagus so I added some fresh green beans that I had on hand. I also used a little fish sauce rather than oyster sauce because, again, it’s what I had on hand. I just told my family that I’m making this for dinner again tonight and all of them were very happy to hear it. I’m going to have a full table tonight! Thank you for sharing this wonderful dish!

Amy @Very Culinary March 9, 2014 at 5:38 am

Hi Kiki – I’m so happy to hear this was a hit for you and that your adaptations worked out! That’s the fun thing about cooking sometimes!

John October 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I made this with purple asparagus, and the flavor was very good. Unfortunately, the amount of soy sauce made the stir fry almost inedibly salty. I used low sodium soy sauce and cut it down to 1/8 cup, but to no avail. Just letting you know my experience, I’d like to try it again with some tweaks.

Amy @Very Culinary October 23, 2013 at 6:25 am

Hi John – really sorry to hear that. I, along with many other people I know, have made this countless times and never feel like it’s overly salty. Just shows how we all have different tastes. Hope you can figure out a way to adjust to your liking!

Rachel May 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I am TOTALLY making this. I have asparagus coming out of my ears and I was looking for something new. Thanks AMY!!!!

Amy May 19, 2011 at 7:34 am

Yay! Report back…I can’t get enough of it right now. Shall be picking more up at the Farmer’s Market tonight. I’ve been marinating it in balsamic and olive oil and then throwing it on the grill for a few minutes. Yum-o.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 18, 2011 at 6:48 am

This looks so delicious and I love that the recipe is so simple! What a wonderful, fun weeknight dish. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie May 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Don’t you just hate being in funks like that? I find that sometimes, I’m just burnt out on everything — including cooking. I hate it.

But, I also find that sometimes it only takes one good home cooked meal to get you right back in the groove. This pork looks deeeelish. Hope you’re out of your funk!

lo May 17, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I’ll have to remember dishes like this one next time I have a hankering for Asian fare. I still don’t have my “Asian cooking chops” which means I can’t ad-lib quite as well with Asian cuisine as I can with others… so guidelines are always helpful!

Jen May 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

I *will* be making this very soon. It looks so easy and so yummy! I’ve been stuck on pastas and beef this week.

Joanne May 17, 2011 at 9:34 am

There was a recipe like this in the last bon appetit and I keep eying it, even with this meat hiatus I’m on. The flavors in it just sound SO GOOD.

I go through phases with tv. Or it’s more like, once I start I can’t stop. So I’ve had to cut out Grey’s during boards studying otherwise I’d spend all day watching it. As soon as Monday is over though…I am going to overdose on McDreamy and I am going to love it. (And yes. I was talking to you. In my post. No pressure, though, I know you must be crazy busy!)

Amy May 17, 2011 at 9:50 am

I haven’t seen Grey’s Anatomy, but that’s the next series on my list to watch while on the treadmill. I totally want to see you! Trying to figure it out…

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary May 17, 2011 at 8:59 am

Yum….stir-fry with my favorite veggie! Melissa you done good girl! You have been coming up with some amazing stuff lately!

Amy – thanks for re-posting and just in case you didn’t know….clean is highly overrated!

Amy May 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

It SO is. Dirt is good for us, right? Between you, Melissa, and Rebecca, I’m always well fed.

Melissa May 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Lisa ?

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary May 17, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Amy May 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Lisa, I think Melissa was trying to make a heart emoticon, but my silly program doesn’t convert it.

Melissa May 17, 2011 at 8:56 am

Glad you liked this. Remember Sunday when I drove all day and then worked OT? I thought there was no way I could make dinner after that, but I did because it was round two of this recipe. So easy to put together, and so, so satisfying. I love “bowl and spoon” meals more than anything. Give me Asian or Indian food over rice and plop me on the couch and all my troubles go away…

I’ll stop rambling. Seriously, glad you liked it!!

Amy May 17, 2011 at 9:23 am

Ramble away! So easy, right? It’s my new go-to recipe when I lack time/energy…hm. When asparagus isn’t in season anymore, I’m thinking green beans would be a good substitute.

Melissa May 17, 2011 at 9:30 am

They would. It would be just like my gai pad grapow, but with chinese flavors instead of Thai. :)

Amy May 17, 2011 at 9:31 am