A Day In The Life

Post image for A Day In The Life

by Amy Flanigan on May 19, 2011 · 17 comments

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? Well if that’s the case, I’m imitating this idea right from two of my favorites, Lisa and Kim.

Time: 9:27 am

Weather outside: 62.1 °F and sunny (picture above was taken yesterday…ah, how the weather changes so quickly.)

On my desk: several small pink pony tail holders

On my lap: Ginger

On my feet: slippers

On my nightstand: Soil Mates

On my mind: driving to LA this weekend with Krysta to see Melissa

In my Amazon shopping cart: Cakewalk, A Memoir and Wii Animal Crossing

In the Netflix queue: The King’s Speech and Black Swan

In the oven: bone-in, skin-on, chicken thighs

In my ears: Ebi snoring

In my tummy: lemon yogurt

In my future: Pineapple Upside Down Carrot Cake

On tap for dinner: something at the new local Farmer’s Market (I’m hoping they have spinach Bolani, but I won’t hold my breath)

Latest obsession: SnackWell’s White Fudge Drizzled Caramel Popcorn

Happy Thursday, everyone! What’s on your nightstand? In your Netflix queue? In the oven?

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite May 23, 2011 at 6:21 am

Love this post! On my nightstand are 2 glasses of water (to my husband’s dismay – I’m a clutterer!), a lamp and jewelry…in my Netflix queue? Big Love!

sippitysup May 20, 2011 at 7:57 am

You are so dern creative. Love this format. It’s like modern poetry. But I gotta say. If you keep your ginger root in you lap it might go bad. Try the refrigerator (HA). GREG

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 20, 2011 at 7:10 am

Ooh, what a fun little post! I wish I had lemon yogurt in my tummy, too. :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

love this! i was wondering if those new snackwells were any good:-)

Mom May 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm

On the nightstand is “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.” I think I’m the last one who hasn’t read this book….hooked and currently on page 172. Also started but not finished: “The Great American Stickup” (how deregulation has led to the near collapse of our financial institutions), “The Big Year” (three men in a 365-day competitive birdwatching marathon), “Pillars of the Earth” (the building of a great Gothic cathedral), and “The Book of Virtues” (a treasury of moral stories).
I have every intention of finishing the first, almost finished with the second, haven’t started the third, can’t seem to get into the fourth and the fifth can be picked up and put down any time.

Nothing in the Netflix queue, but plenty on TIVO. If only I didn’t keep falling asleep! In the oven was: delicious Italian Pot Roast.

Agreed with Rachel…. another fun post.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary May 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I loved Pillars of the Earth. It’s a BIG book but so worth it. I think they made it into a movie too. I’m pretty sure I saw it on Netflix.

Amy May 19, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Wow. You’ve got some reading material! *raises hand* I haven’t read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so you’re not alone. My one silly book seems so inadequate. Although, I’ll finish mine. And honestly, there’s not a whole lot of reading involved – it’s more of a cute reference book for gardening. I’m a cheater.

We have so much on TiVo also. Hard to get through it all when we go to bed at 9pm. How sad are we? Thanks for playing along, Mom! <3

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel May 19, 2011 at 11:06 am

What a fun post :) We saw the king’s speech and liked it but haven’t seen black swan yet. I have the tourist on the counter waiting to be watched sometime soon.

Amy May 19, 2011 at 12:12 pm

It was fun, right!? Thanks. Everyone loved the King’s Speech, so I’m either going to love it too…or be seriously disappointed from the hype. I heard Black Swan is really disturbing, like Requiem for a Dream.

Rebecca May 19, 2011 at 9:58 am

I second Lisa’s recommendation for “Second Hand Lions” excellent movie for kiddos.

And I’m so excited that my cake is in your future!

Hmmm. On my nightstand: “The Commodore” by Patrick O’Brian, “Carry On, Jeeves.” by P.G. Wodehouse, “Everyday Cooking” newest issue, a fluffy, cotton ball covered construction paper sheep made by Rowan, and a pair of fingerless gloves.

In my queue, “The King’s Speech”, “Firefly: Disc 4″, “Serenity”, and a bunch of other stuff…

Amy May 19, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I think I’m going to make the cake not this weekend (obviously), but the following weekend for my Mom’s birthday…if I can wait that long! We own Secondhand Lions on DVD, so I know how good it is. Although it’s been quite some time since we’ve watched it. Loved the Firefly series. And as with Lisa’s list, I wrote down your books too. Ought to keep me busy for a while!

Joanne May 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

White fudge drizzled caramel popcorn…where is this in my life? Or in my supermarket? They didn’t make stuff like that when I was a kid. that’s all I’m saying.

Let’s not talk about my nightstand. It’s been taken over by the index card revolution of 2011. And I wish there were a triple layer carrot cake in my oven. Does that count?

Amy May 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I only recently discovered the caramel popcorn. It comes in those 130 calorie snack packs (which of course are ridiculous, especially with these. I need help!)

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary May 19, 2011 at 9:02 am

I love that you are doing “right now” too.
I’m so happy that you get to spend time with Krysta and Melissa. I’m a little jealous, but in a good way.
Now on to the questions:

On my nightstand: Cristina Fererra’s Big Bowl of Love – I can’t put it down. I want to make everything in that damn book. Also picked up Bless Your Heart..Saving the World One Covered Dish at a Time. So many great recipes. My nightstand also holds..tissues, hand cream, Aquaphor, hairbands, lots of Cooking Mags.

Up next on NF: Little Fockers. I just watched King’s Speech last w/e. Really good. Two other really good movies…Get Low and one called Micmacs…it’s French subtitles, but dont’ let that stop you…this movie was so good. Loved it! It’s worth reading the subtitles (there aren’t too, too many either). Also have one of my other all time faves in queue…Secondhand Lions. If you haven’t seen it, your kids will love it..heck I loved it.

Amy May 19, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Really looking forward to my road trip with my fellow foodies…although it will be the first time away from the kids, so I’m hoping I can relaxed and not be consumed with worry :(

We don’t mind subtitles as long as I’m awake enough ;-) We saw the foreign version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, subtitled. It was fantastic. I jotted your books down for the future. And we own Secondhand – a classic, for sure. (and p.s. my nightstand also hold a lot of dust!)