A Road Trip, My Friend Melissa, and Tabbouleh

Post image for A Road Trip, My Friend Melissa, and Tabbouleh

by Amy Flanigan on May 24, 2011 · 26 comments

Some people are worth a really long car drive.

Some people are worth leaving your kids for the very first time.

Some people get you so excited that you actually forget to bring your credit card, cash, and driver’s license with you. (DOH!)

Some people is Melissa.

My website links are in alphabetical order, but it’s only appropriate that Melissa from Alosha’s Kitchen comes first. She was the very first blog I subscribed to. And my first fellow blogger friend…who turned into a real life friend. I adore her.

Krysta – another genuine friend worthy of a long car ride – drove us down to LA to see Melissa this weekend. To share in her birthday festivities, eat her delicious food, and hang out with some of her other wonderful homegals.

We also watched her open our presents with bated breath. And witnessed her hobble around…because just a few hours prior to our arrival, she dropped a gigantic cutting board on her toe. Now broken toe. OUCH. (Needless to say, my cutting board gift is laced with irony.)

And yet she entertained with a smile on her face – more likely high from the Vicodin than being with her friends, but talk about a trooper.

She sent us on our way the next day with left-over Tabbouleh. (And quite frankly if she hadn’t offered it, I would have demanded it.) Is there anything better in the springtime? Fresh herbs, tomatoes, lemon juice, and a chewy grain – so light, yet filling, and flavorful. And pretty! I could eat this every day.

Krysta and I gabbed for six straight hours to LA. And then six straight hours home. Like a couple of hens. And the kink in my neck, from looking to my left the entire time, is tolerable.

Because some people…some people are just worth all that.

Tabbouleh
Soaking time: 30 minutes
Chill time: 30 minutes (longer is better)

• 1 cup bulgur wheat
• 1 cup vegetable stock
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
• 3 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
• 2 scallions, greens and whites, chopped

Place the bulgur in a medium sized bowl. Bring the stock and the teaspoon of salt to a boil, then pour it over the bulgur. Let sit for 30 minutes.

Add the grapeseed oil and lemon juice to the bulgur and mix well. Add in the rest of the other ingredients and mix to combine.

You can eat it immediately, but it’s much better if you let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes – and it’s even more amazing the next day!

(originally from Melissa at Alosha’s Kitchen)

Anne June 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Hi Amy! It’s so good to check into your blog again! Woot! Okay, I’m going crazy with the exclamation points. Anyway, I love these kinds of dips and so does my son. One night I put him to bed and the same thing happened with the garlic smell. It was coming from his skin. At least it kept him safe from vampires.

Stephanie May 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Sounds like you guys had a total blast…minus the ER visit. Thanks for sharing your lovely adventures! Someday I’ll make it out of the desert and find a way to you!

Melissa May 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Wanna know just how happy I was this weekend? As happy as I’ve ever been on vacation in Monterey and Big Sur. The kind of happy you only feel on very special occasions in your life that is like a high, a drug, something so special you could almost “happy cry” at any moment. THAT. HAPPY.

I am grateful beyond words for you being there, for all the trouble you and K went through, and for that beautiful gift.

Wish you were here for more hugs. :)

Amy May 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm

When I described the experience to Paul, I told him that you were gorgeous :D… and just as warm as I thought you’d be, an A.MA.ZING host considering you spent that afternoon in the ER, and that you have the most wonderful/inviting (and funny!) friends. I felt right at home. I loved every minute of it. And I am so glad that K and I got some one on one with you the next day. Icing on the cake.

Melissa May 25, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I just read the beginning of this post again, this time out loud to Steve, and I got choked up. Geez. :)

Amy May 26, 2011 at 6:04 am

Than mission accomplished ;-) *mwah*

5 Star Foodie May 25, 2011 at 9:25 am

The tabbouleh sounds really tasty, a must try!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 25, 2011 at 9:21 am

That sounds like such a fun trip! The knife to toe incident would have left me very unhappy- she seems like a trooper!

Joanne May 25, 2011 at 7:08 am

Blogger meet-ups, especially with your true lover bloggers (ahem you and me) are definitely worth six hour drives, or six hour plane rides. Sounds like a ton of fun!

And if I hadn’t had to show my license at security, I’m sure I would have forgotten it. Thankfully I also brought my passport. Just in case.

Kyle May 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm

It REALLY was delish!
I so enjoyed meeting you! I hadn’t heard about the credit card, cash, and driver’s license thing! HA! I would have been all stressed out! I’m glad you had a nice trip. Fun times! :D

Amy May 25, 2011 at 6:25 am

Ya, I switched from my fanny pack to a small bag/purse and apparently forgot that all in important transfer of the money. Got all the way to the hotel in LA before I realized it. Thanks goodness for traveling with Krysta or I don’t know what I would have done. Sure gave my heart a run for its money!

Alicia May 24, 2011 at 11:51 am

Doh! I hope she loved the board anyway :)

Amy May 24, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Hee. Yep, she absolutely loved it. And hopefully she’ll actually use hers, unlike mine, which nobody is allowed to touch ;-)

Melissa May 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I will! I promise. I haven’t used it since you left, of course, since I haven’t done any real cooking. Soon!

Amy May 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Melissa…Alicia is Greg’s wife (maker of said cutting board) and she told me this was her favorite board that he’s done. She loved it so much, she didn’t want him to give it to me.

Melissa May 27, 2011 at 9:41 am

AWWWW. :D That makes it even more special. Thank you, Alicia!!

rivki locker May 24, 2011 at 11:44 am

Sorry about the toe! That sure is irony for you. I make a similar recipe but haven’t tried it with grapeseed oil. Will have to give that a shot.

Paula May 24, 2011 at 11:43 am

That is the very very best! Friends, food, fun…and how it all makes us better, stronger, mushier…

I love it! AND I love tabbouleh.

Dad May 24, 2011 at 11:15 am

How’s it feel to be the tallest one in the crowd?

Amy May 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm

LOL. I knew you’d say that!! Mom would have felt right at home…amongst her kind. My hair actually added a few extra inches ;-)

DessertForTwo May 24, 2011 at 9:54 am

Aw, such a sweet story. I can’t believe you forgot your wallet!
Tabbouleh is definitely in order as soon as my first tomato turns red!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary May 24, 2011 at 9:09 am

I love that you all got together.
I hate that I live on the East coast and missed all the laughs.
You are all good peeps and I hope someday to hug you all!

Eliana May 24, 2011 at 8:44 am

What an awesome post! I love when great friendships and food come together.

Saint Tigerlily May 24, 2011 at 8:43 am

Totally sweet.

Rebecca May 24, 2011 at 8:32 am

I love this post and I want that tabbouleh. Badly. I might be able to work that in for Memorial Day Weekend. Yay.