Strawberry-Nectarine Bruschetta

Post image for Strawberry-Nectarine Bruschetta

by Amy Flanigan on June 21, 2011 · 30 comments

Trevor: What are you making, Mom?

Me: Something called Bruschetta, with strawberries and nectarines.

Trevor: Oh, I love strawberries and nectarines.

Me: I know you do.

Trevor: what’s that white stuff?

Me: Goat cheese.

Trevor: I don’t like goat cheese.

Me: I know.

Trevor: Does Haley like goat cheese?

Me: No.

Trevor: Does Daddy like goat cheese?

Me: No.

Trevor: Then why are you using it?

Me: Because I like goat cheese. And sometimes I just want what I want.

Trevor: Do crocodiles like goat cheese?

Me: They do if it’s spread all over little boys.

Trevor: There’s a crocodile in Peter Pan.

Me: I know.

Trevor: Does Peter Pan like goat cheese?

Me: I don’t know.

Trevor: Don’t put any goat cheese on my bread, okay Mom?

Me: Okay.

Trevor: What’s that green stuff?…

Don’t ask questions, my friends. Just eat. It’s sweet, and tangy, and light, and refreshing. And so wonderful when it’s 99 degrees outside and you don’t want to turn your oven on. Trust me.

Strawberry-Nectarine Bruschetta

• 1 French baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
• 4 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
• 1/2 cup diced strawberries
• 1 ripe nectarine, diced
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• 5-6 large fresh basil leaves, cut Chiffonade style

Combine the strawberries and nectarine pieces in a bowl; set aside.

Spread the baguette slices with goat cheese and top with the fruit mixture, pressing down slightly to help the fruit pieces stick. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and top with a little basil.

purabi naha June 26, 2011 at 7:07 pm

This Bruschetta looks great and delicious! Loved the strawberries in it!

Sabrina June 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm

OMG these are like little bites of heaven!

Eliana June 23, 2011 at 10:02 am

You would have not gotten any questions from me had you put this in front of me. Looks incrdible.

Becki June 23, 2011 at 2:58 am

I loooove goat cheese. It sounds absolutely wonderful! Especially covered in all of the above. My kids would probably take these apart and lick the goat cheese off (even though i would ask them not to)…and then admit that they like goat cheese.

Ethan June 23, 2011 at 12:19 am

I bet if Peter Pan liked goat cheese, Trevor would too. Just sayin…

Stephanie June 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I could eat that kid up, he’s so frickin cute. (What am I, a 70 year old grandma?) I don’t care what Trevor says, this sounds fantastic. WITH the cheese of course. And so summery! Beautiful!

Amy June 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm

You’ll have to stand in line. My parents have already cornered the market on smothering their grandchildren. And that’s the way it should be, right? People seem to either love goat cheese or hate it…glad you’re in my camp.

Jenna June 22, 2011 at 7:41 am

This looks so awesome . . . I saw it on TK a few days ago and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. And I love the dialogue with your son. =) Though I will take your advice and NOT ask any questions–the deliciousness of this recipe speaks for itself.

Amy June 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Thanks, Jenna :D I love Tasty Kitchen. Goldmine of great stuff over there. Glad mine got your attention. It’s the fruit and summertime – how can anyone resist?

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 22, 2011 at 4:40 am

Hahaha that conversation made me laugh! I love goat cheese, personally, so I’d adore this bruschetta!

Kim June 22, 2011 at 3:43 am

What a sweet youngin! I love this conversation as much as I love goat cheese. And that’s A LOT. I am hoping you got at least one convert out of this recipe because who couldn’t love goat cheese sitting on top of fresh fruit and basil?!? You are a good mom to keep trying. And until someone converts, you get extra goat cheese!

Amy June 22, 2011 at 6:38 am

He is a sweetie, who has me wrapped around his sweet little finger, I tell ya. I think they say the rule is to have them try something 10 times. 10x my ass. It’s more like 50. And even then they may not like something until they’re an adult. But in this instance, I put my needs first. Sometimes a mom just needs her goat cheese!

Mom June 21, 2011 at 6:35 pm

What a way to end my day with a hearty chuckle from that conversation with Trevor. I’m with him as far as the goat cheese. The ricotta sounds like a good substitute and will try that.

Amy June 22, 2011 at 6:35 am

Well, we know you won’t have any problem making another batch of the homemade ricotta! Lol.

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) June 21, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I’ve been having this argument with my husband for years. Goat cheese is GOOD. It’s not a matter of opinion. It’s just a fact. :)
These look amazing. Absolutely amazing.
I can’t wait till nectarines are in season here in New Jersey.

Amy June 21, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Right? I love it…but it’s a tough sell around these parts. Like mushrooms. No nectarines yet, huh? Hm. I’m starting to think everything in CA comes into season before elsewhere…must be the heat.

Dad June 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm

To heck with the goat cheese. Ya could just eat Trevor up.

Amy June 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I know. He’s something. And provides great writing material for me ;-)

pam June 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Goat cheese on mine please.

Aunt Jan June 21, 2011 at 11:04 am

I like goat cheese.

Joanne June 21, 2011 at 10:11 am

Oh children and their inquisitive minds. At least you can rest assured that he’s got his colors down!

This sounds like an ideal type of bruschetta. It’s almost like dessert for lunch. And who wouldn’t love that!

Amy June 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Kids make great fodder for writing. One of my friends on FB mentioned ricotta instead of the goat cheese. I thought that sounds excellent too.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary June 21, 2011 at 9:21 am

Beautiful! Looks so refreshing.
Man it’s hot where you are. We are having beautiful weather right now, but it’s supposed to be crappy on the w/e…just in time for my son’s birthday party on Sat :(
Crap.
Oh well that’s why years ago we bought a big tent. *sigh*

Amy June 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm

We had an extended chilly/rainy spring, so summer hit with a force. Supposed to hit triple digits tomorrow. But Paul says I’m not allowed to complain about the heat for at least another 3 years (considering how much I loathed the MN cold.)

Sandi Benoit June 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

LMBO!!!!!!

Melissa June 21, 2011 at 8:07 am

I love this post. So much. :*D

Amy June 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

:D

denise June 21, 2011 at 8:04 am

i have almost everything to make this except the bread and nectarines! looks like i’m heading out to the store today because this looks amazing!!!

Amy June 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I’m impressed that you have goat cheese!