Open-Faced Smoked Salmon On Rye

Post image for Open-Faced Smoked Salmon On Rye

by Amy Flanigan on July 5, 2011 · 25 comments

Here are the facts:

1. I have done nothing but eat for the last 3 days. I’m sort of walking funny.
2. The kids have been staying up far too late. Summer’s law.
3. My nose is red. Cherry red. Rudolph red.
4. I’m wiped out. So, if you ask me a question and I look glazed over, it’s because I’m processing the information a little slower than usual.
5. It’s HOT. So hot I could just place corn kernels on the patio and watch them pop.
6. Having great family and friends makes all of the above worth it. Totally worth it.

Back to the whole hot thing. Ya…um…it’s hot. I said that, right? But I’m not complaining. (Paul says I’m not allowed to complain about the heat for at least two more summers. I promised. We shook on it. So I am not complaining. K?)

Honestly, I like the heat. I really do. I just don’t like taking more than one shower a day. And I don’t wear hats particularly well. It’s the whole ‘fro issue.

I always pull out my arsenal of sandwiches when it gets to be in the triple digits. I mean, who the Hell wants to be anywhere near their stove watching cheese or butter melt, when you feel like melting?

By week’s end, it’s supposed to drop down into the 80′s, at which point I’ll probably be back making pasta dishes and what not. But for now, this open-faced combo of smoked salmon and fresh garden goodness will do me just fine.

Open-Faced Smoked Salmon on Rye
Serves 8 as an appetizer or 4 as a meal

• 8 slices Jewish Rye
• 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
• 12 ounces Smoked Salmon
• 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
• 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
• 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
• 2 scallions, green parts chopped

Toast the bread and evenly distribute the cream cheese among the 8 slices. Place a generous piece of smoked salmon, 3 slices of cucumber, 2 slices of tomato, and a few slices of onion on top. Sprinkle scallions. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

Dorian September 4, 2011 at 10:28 am

I love this idea so much! When I finally try this sandwhich I anticipate that i’ll get so excited, that I incidentally eat off one of my own fingers.

Amy September 5, 2011 at 6:36 am

Thanks Dorian, you’ll love it. Super simple and layered with flavor. Perfect for breakfast or a light lunch, especially in the hot months. It’s one of my favorites :D

Rebecca July 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

That has to be one of the prettiest things ever, that sandwich. I could eat my own weight in those, I’d bet.

Amy July 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Thank you! It’s my breakfast or lunch of choice lately. Perfect for this heat…no stove/oven required. And no utensils either. Woot.

Lana July 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I like heat, my husband does not. We go behind each other’s back to control the AC. But since we moved to Southern California, our temperature issues are mostly moot. It is so easy to forget that the rest of the country (and the northern hemisphere) is on the brink of boiling:)
But, I do not need the triple digits to make one of these sandwiches. Only, in my case, I would have to make one just for me, as no one in my family likes rye bread, especially one with carraway (it would be like you, your family, and goat cheese:)
One of these days I’ll be able to smoke my one salmon, and this sandwich would be perfection!

Amy July 22, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I think I like the heat because I lived in Minnesota for many years where the winters are so long, you spend the tine summer months thawing off.

Nobody in my family really likes rye bread, either.

sippitysup July 11, 2011 at 8:03 am

I think you need a summer vacation! GREG

Mom July 6, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Right up my alley!

Stephanie July 6, 2011 at 11:26 am

Sometimes coming up with simple recipies/ideas isn’t as easy as one would think, but to you they seem to come so easy! I love these posts. And your pictures just scream summer. In other words: Lovely sandwiches.

Amy July 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I’m pretty creative with sandwiches. Which might explain why I eat them all the time. Doesn’t need to be summer. I love foods where the possibilities are endless :D

Meister @ The Nervous Cook July 5, 2011 at 5:47 pm

You’re a life-saver: Sometimes I just need that little reminder that I don’t have to “cook” every night!

Amy July 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Indeed. And you know what else? Throw caution to the wind and eat without utensils! That’s the ultimate :D

Joanne July 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm

It’s obscenely hot here also. I’ve been eating salads. And cold soup. The soup isn’t supposed to be cold, mind you. But who has the energy to put it in the microwave? Not I.

I should pair my soup with a side of this sandwich. Smoked salmon = yum.

Amy July 5, 2011 at 6:46 pm

The kids asked if I would make miso soup for dinner tonight. I was like “are you crazy? It’s 100 degrees outside!” To which Trevor replied, “we’ll blow on it.” He wins.

Lisa~~ July 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm

So perfect for a hot summer night.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Lisa@ The Cutting Edge of Ordinary July 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Girl my hair hates this weather. You of all people know what I mean. We’ve been waiting till after 8pm to head out and hang in the gazebo cause it’s just too darn hot during the day. We ate leftovers today (from the 4th) but tomorrow will probably be tuna sandwiches and some cukes on the side. Cool, cool, cool. I’m with ya on not heating up the stove.

Your open faced sammies look divine and refreshing.

Amy July 5, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Ya. The heat makes me very unmotivated…all I want to do is eat pineapple and sit in a pool all day. You can imagine what the chlorine does to me hair. Sigh.

Jude July 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Ahh, perfect for a hot summer day! And easy to make ..But it’s 83′ in Minneapolis today, and to me, that’s hot enough to have to go OUT to eat ;)

Amy July 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Lol. Like you need an excuse to eat out! Gosh, 83 sounds so nice right how *fanning myself*

Jenna July 5, 2011 at 11:37 am

Awesome. And you’re right–it’s perfect for the hot weather (it’s around 90 today here in Chi-town).
It’s funny because on my blog I have a ‘recipes by category’ page and the one category that has remained empty thus far with not a single recipe to its name is Sandwiches. That may change soon . . . with this sandwich!

Amy July 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Jenna – I make sandwiches and wraps so much, that’s one of my hefty categories, but I totally understand…my soup and slow cooker categories are lacking. Hoping to fix that this Fall.

pam July 5, 2011 at 10:54 am

Well, I hate heat. So, you can complain to me all you want.

Jen July 5, 2011 at 9:58 am

Oh, this looks quite yummy, and light, and, most of all, cool. :o)

Amy July 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

This works well on a bagel too, of course. If you want to go that route. But since bagels are like 5 slices of bread, I opted for the rye.