Artichoke Dip with Gruyère

Post image for Artichoke Dip with Gruyère

by Amy Flanigan on July 19, 2011 · 23 comments

We’re moving. Again. The only thing that’s keeping me from completely loathing every single second of the process, is the pot of gold at the end of it. We love the house. We love the neighborhood. And the kitchen? Goodness – the acreage. The walk-in pantry – there are no words. My kids are going to grow up in this house. I’m going to grow old in this house. Mark my words *shakes fists*

So, we’re packing and hauling. All day long, back and forth. Little by little. Trying to save money by moving ourselves. (It seemed the smart decision before we got started.)

While all of our things are in boxes, I’m left with a pan, a few utensils, and a few bowls. Thank goodness for my grill, or we’d be headed to Panda Express every night. No thank you. But, I’m also clearing out the pantry. And this is the result.

May I present last night’s dinner, everyone. Ya, I’m a class act over here. ;-) But you know what? It was actually really good. Definitely good enough to make again, even when all my appliances are available again. So, good enough to post. I served it with…gosh, I don’t even remember. Oh, fruit! I served it with fruit.

I’m so tried.

Artichoke Dip with Gruyère
Serves 8-10

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
• 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 3 cans (14 ounces each) whole artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
• 1/3 cup veggie or chicken stock
• 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
• 1/2 pound of shredded Gruyère cheese

In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add artichokes and stock; cook until liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes.

Remove pan from heat and stir in cream cheese until combined. Fold in the Gruyère. Serve immediately with pita chips or crackers.

Miriam October 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Delicious! I made it for a party tonight and it was a big hit.

Amy October 22, 2012 at 7:35 am

Yay!! That makes me happy :D Thanks for stopping over Miriam!

Cat July 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm

MMM! This looks so good! It sounds pretty easy too

lucrecia July 27, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Look really good!!

Victoria R July 26, 2011 at 5:28 am

I found your site via Pinterest, and I think I may have gained ten pounds just looking at the amazing pictures… I can’t wait to get start printing snd trying some of these recipes! They look amazing!

Also, I am now jealous of your walk-in pantry.

Amy July 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Greetings Victoria! I’ve just recently heard of Pinterest. Now I’m even more curious. So glad it lead you to me. And for the record, I’ve probably gained 10 pounds by eating all the food I make. Have mercy!

Kim July 22, 2011 at 10:39 am

yay yayayayay yaaaaay!!! So happy for you. As crazy hectic as it is, it’s so much fun to get a new playhouse. I am soooo happy for you all. I, too, cannot wait to see your new kitchen. Will there be a video home tour perhaps? Or am I just dreaming?

I am too distracted to post regularly anymore. If you are posting, you really are the QUEEN of the California.

Love your last sentence. You really are tired!

Amy July 22, 2011 at 7:34 pm

We’re all moved in!! HALLELUJAH. I’m sitting at my computer, at my desk, in my new house…and listening to 50’s music. Paul has already joked that we should do a video of the house/kitchen in the vain of the MTV show Cribs. Lol.

Sandi July 20, 2011 at 9:01 am

Walk in pantry…*sobbing hysterically*

Horse lover July 20, 2011 at 8:01 am

I am so happy that you have a forever home. And an acreage? SaWEET! I have an acreage too! Enjoy it but stay on top of it or it will grow like crazy!!

Jenna July 20, 2011 at 7:08 am

Ditto on your mom’s comment–if I had the ingredients, this would be happening tonight. Heck yeah.
Good luck with the move! It’s a pain in the butt, but it sounds like you’re moving to your dream home, and that will be worth it!!

KC Quaretti July 20, 2011 at 5:58 am

Too funny! Brought back my own moving day memories. Even created a dish “Moving day potatoes” with the tidbits that were not yet packed. This was a really fun post to read and I bet the dip is fantastic; love artichokes so I’m going to give it a try. I’ll be back soon!
KC
KCintheKitchen

Mom July 19, 2011 at 4:43 pm

If I had the ingredients right now, this would be on the table tonight.
Looks delicious.

Dad July 19, 2011 at 3:00 pm

That may not be a pot of gold; it may be a fondue. In the interim, you could live on energy bars. Good thing you married a handyman. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have the strength to shake fists. So, I’ve changed the GPS again, and my day is done.

Now I have to look for artichokes. I think they’re in Watsonville…

Joanne July 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I was SO confused last night when you said you were moving in your comment but I didn’t want to bother you about it cause you seemed exhausted! I need the new address. I believe a housewarming gift is in order. Oh and congrats! I would die for a walk-in pantry. Absolutely keel over.

Oh this looks SO good. I adore artichokes and really? This is so veggie-ful that it’s totally an acceptable dinner.

Jerry July 19, 2011 at 12:31 pm

This sounds really good with the Gruyère cheese. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Melissa July 19, 2011 at 9:10 am

Serving this on Saturday for dinner with a girlfriend. Mm hm. :)

Also? I love you. I know I say that all the time, but seriously. You’re awesome. Just a few more days!!

Amy July 19, 2011 at 9:41 am

Heee heee. Love you, too. Yes, a few more days! Hallelujah. p.s. the dip – after combining, you could pile it all into a baking dish and bake it for 15 minutes. Or microwave it for a few minutes. I just didn’t have the energy and we were all starving.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary July 19, 2011 at 8:49 am

Woman I give you total credit for even having the strength to make ANYTHING! You are amazing. It looks so yummy! You know me and artichokes we’re like this (imagine me crossing my fingers k?)

Tonight we are having tostadas. No oven required. I can’t bear to turn it on! By Friday the heat index here is going to be over 100. Ugh, I hate it so much. Can you say tuna sammichs for dinner? I can.

I’m so happy you love your new house! Can’t wait to see pics of the giant kitchen!

Amy July 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

I suppose it does seem ambitious…but when we moved back to CA, I was make jalapeno poppers and all kinds of crazy stuff before we unpacked. I’m old and tired now! We might even just have cereal tonight!

Mellissa July 19, 2011 at 8:07 am

What do you think I could sub out the cream cheese with, I am allergic to it. Sour Cream? Creamy goat cheese?

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary July 19, 2011 at 8:49 am

Maybe a heavy greek yogurt???? Dunno.

Amy July 19, 2011 at 9:38 am

I have another artichoke dip recipe that calls for mayo, so you could try that? But I love Lisa’s suggestion also…but since Greek yogurt tends to be tangy, you might want to use a more mild cheese like Fontina.