Halloween Candy Corn Pretzel Bark

Halloween Candy Corn Pretzel Bark | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on October 6, 2011 · 27 comments

I’m sitting in the doctor’s office (groan), where the selection of magazines is pathetic. PATHETIC. So, I’m reading US Weekly or one of the tabloid rags…and there’s a bunch of blurbs in there about Halloween and Halloween candy.

“Candy corn is one of the most popular Halloween treats, but very few people actually like it.”

Is this true? (Remember, this is a gossip magazine, so I am incredibly skeptical.) Why would they diss the corn?

So I took a little pole amongst the moms at school and my neighbors. US Weekly, I don’t know who’s your source, but apparently they weren’t lying. I got a thumbs down from everyone. Apparently candy corn is too sweet. Too sweet?? I know not of which you speak. Bwahahahahaha.

However, when I asked a bunch of Kindergartners, it was a unanimous “YES! Candy Corn is awesome!” And personally, I think a lot five and six year olds are smarter than most grown ups.

So, this is for the kids. And me.

Halloween Candy Corn Pretzel Bark
Serves 24-36 if broken into 2-3 inch pieces
Cool time: 15-20 minutes

• 24 ounces white chocolate baking squares, chopped
• 2 cups thin salted pretzel sticks, broken into pieces
• 2 cups candy corn

Line a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper.

Place white chocolate in a medium glass microwavable bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds minute; stir. Microwave at additional 15 second intervals, stirring until smooth. Stir in pretzels and candy corns. (Press in additional pretzels and candy corns for added color, if desired.)

Spread onto the lined baking sheet. Chill in the freezer for 15-20 minutes until set. Break into pieces. Refrigerate in an airtight container.

(adapted from my Cranberry Almond Bark)

Rachael October 30, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Yikes! I used Ghiradeli (sorry for the misspell) white chocolate chips and tried melting them in the microwave that didn’t work out well :( They got all dried up no melting had to add water thankfully it still tasted like milk chocolate I have no clue where to find white chocolate melting squares where I live. Hoping it turns out after it freezes…..

Amy October 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm

White chocolate chips should work also, but 1 minute on high was probably too much. When the chocolate hardens, sometimes adding a small amount of vegetable shortening will loosen it. The water could make it worse :( I hope it turns out…might be too crumbly.

Susie October 29, 2012 at 5:19 am

I tried this one yesterday and was SO disappointed. It was a sticky, crumbly mess and tasted horrible. I’m adding candy corn bark to my list of foods I won’t eat…right under beets and mincemeat.

Amy October 29, 2012 at 5:28 am

Wow, Susie. I’m so sorry it didn’t turn out for you. I have made this countless times and have never had anything resembling what you just described.

Tracey September 13, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I am also adding dry roasted peanuts !!! Yummy, can’t wait to try !

Martha October 26, 2011 at 5:16 am

I totally stumbled upon this and I need something to take to the Halloween bake sale…I’m so making money off this!

Sara @ Run Around Sara October 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Holy mother of all that is love.

As a preschool teacher, I can tell you, this is going on my lesson plan to make with the kids next week. It’s so simple, they’ll love to stir that stuff in and I’ll love to dig into it during nap time!!! SCORE! Thanks for this!!

Amy October 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I want to be in YOUR preschool class! Thanks for stopping by Sara :D

Eliana October 12, 2011 at 6:23 am

I’m not a huge fan of candy corn but I totally be willing to give this bark a try.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking October 11, 2011 at 7:56 am

Amy, this looks like an instant cavity and I absolutely love it! Also a closeted candy corn fan here, but the chocolate stuff this time of year is what really wins my heart. Great way to combine both! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Ali October 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

I’ve always loved candy corn!!! This looks great, Loveed the photo, happy halloween!!

Jenna October 7, 2011 at 7:57 am

I like candy corn–but only in small amounts. Very small amounts–like maybe 2 pieces per year. It is indeed VERY sweet, but I remember loving it as a kid. Huh–I guess I was smarter then. =)

Joanne October 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I know a few of these “too sweet” people, but I am for sure not one of them. My sweet tooth knows no bounds. I may or may not have already polished off a bag of candy corn this Halloween season already. And I may or may not have to buy another one for a batch of this.

Tia October 6, 2011 at 11:55 am

it looks incredibly festive and tasty!
i personally dislike candy corn too, but in this bark, i would eat it!

Mom October 6, 2011 at 11:06 am

This looks easy, and I love all the ingredients. But you know I will skip this one!

Amy October 6, 2011 at 11:36 am

*snert* Um…ya. I didn’t think this one would be on your to-do list. Poor Dad. I’ll save some for him out of the 2nd batch I’m making.

Saint Tigerlily October 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

So I don’t love sweet stuff but I LOOOOOVE candy corn. Riddle me that, Culinary One.

Amy October 6, 2011 at 11:35 am

See, I’m telling you…it does cast a spell. And now I’m beginning to wonder if the moms I spoke too aren’t human.

Lynda October 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

A former manager of my local Nob Hill store used to meet me at the door when they put out candy corn in September or October. (I must not have given him my phone number.) He’d also warn me when they were running low at the end of the season. What a guy!

Amy October 6, 2011 at 11:33 am

Now THAT’S customer service! I love it.

Andrea October 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

Amy, this is too perfect! I am in charge of the Choir Halloween party this year (28 people), and I needed something different for a sweet something. I’ve got ideas for ooze, green slime, eyeballs, etc., but this will be perfect and I can delegate it to somebody who can run a microwave and open the freezer. Too cool! Thanks.

Amy October 6, 2011 at 11:31 am

Oh YAY! So easy, right? I have a few more treats coming this month too if you need something else. Stay tuned.

Beth October 6, 2011 at 10:31 am

I love candy corn!

Sandi Benoit October 6, 2011 at 10:25 am

Man, who could “diss” candy corn….How can ANYONE go wrong with white chocolate, candy corn & pretzels…win..win..win!

Amy October 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

Right? It’s a trifecta of greatness.

Cathy October 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

Num num. Do I love Candy Corn because I share its initials?

CC