Halloween Pretzel Rings

Post image for Halloween Pretzel Rings

by Amy Flanigan on October 13, 2011 · 35 comments

Haley doesn’t want to be a princess for Halloween this year!

Let me repeat that.

HALEY DOESN’T WANT TO BE A PRINCESS FOR HALLOWEEN THIS YEAR!

This is monumental. When she told me, I actually had to sit down and take a moment. I almost wept. FOR JOY.

I’m not delusional into thinking that we’re past the princess-love phase, but it’s definitely a sign that we’ve past the princess-obsessed phase.

She’s going to be a cat. With a leopard petticoat dress, arm warmers, leg warmers, tail, and ears. Ridiculously cute.

Now, Trevor…Trevor has officially reached the age where I can no longer choose his Halloween costume for him. Kiss those days good-bye. He now has an opinion. He’s also at the age where he wants to do everything that his big sister does. You see where I’m going with this?

Ya. He wants to be a cat. Fine. How about a tiger? A lion? Bagheera from The Jungle Book? Noooo. He wants to be the exact black cat that Haley is going to be, petticoat dress and all.

We compromised. And by compromise, I mean I made these pretzel rings and gave him 4.

He’s going to be a pirate.

Halloween Pretzel Rings
Makes as many as you want!
Prep time: 10 minutes/per 50
Cooling time: 15 minutes

• Round pretzels
• Hershey kisses (I used milk chocolate)
• Brown and Orange M&M’s

Preheat the oven to 350.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place kisses on baking sheet and drop a pretzel ring over each one.

Pop them in the oven for 2 minutes. (Just until they get soft, but not until they melt. You want them to retain their shape.) As soon as they come out of the oven, gently place an M&M on top of the  kiss and push down slightly to fill the pretzel with chocolate.

Stick the baking sheet in the refrigerator until they firm up. Store in an airtight container.

(adapted from my Superbowl Pretzel Rings)

Jamie Longfellow October 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Loved how easy and kid friendly this recipe is!
I tried them using rolos and reeses pieces. Yummy!!!!

Amy October 30, 2011 at 6:58 am

Yes! And I love your version…these are so versatile :D

Leo October 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Just let him be the cat. It’ll make for more embarrassing photos to show his friends when he’s a surly teen. Or just photographic proof that he was stylishly minded even as a tot.

Amy October 30, 2011 at 6:57 am

Hee hee. Or payback on his wedding day!

Brynn October 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Where can I find these round pretzels?

Amy October 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Greetings Brynn – You can get them at Walmart or buy the Ballreich’s brand online here http://www.ballreich.com/shop/snacks.html#RINGS

Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 17, 2011 at 2:29 am

Sounds like she picked an adorable costume! These are the perfect fun halloween treat!

Jay October 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Lest Ye forget, a young pirate needs to have his “Loot” or “Bounty.” A handful of these tasty treats should suffice. ARRGGG!

Stephanie October 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Awww, how cute is he?! All wanting to be like his big sister and stuff. Poor kid. He’ll learn someday! :P

Gail October 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

This made me laugh :) My 7-year-old diva is apparently also over the princess phase (phew!). So I ask, “Then what’s it gonna be this year?” and did I get black cat or witch or even cupcake (as your first commenter suggested)? No. Mine wants to be Lady Gaga complete with meat dress!! Anyone want to trade?

Amy October 14, 2011 at 11:48 am

Oh Gail, your comment made me laugh too. Although I know it’s more scary than it is funny. What we parents endure, right? At 7! I fear that Haley will actually want to be a prostitute in a couple more years…’cause, you know, that’ll be retro or something. HELP.

Cher October 14, 2011 at 7:39 am

I feel ya. Matthew has to be a cupcake. Thank God a chocolate one and not strawberry like his sister, but it still has a skirt for the wrapper. Oh well…someday they’ll want to be transformers and yucky boy things. I guess we can enjoy this stage a little longer. :) Your candy corn bark was a huge success last night so I’ll have to try this one on them next time. They think I’m a genious! lol

Amy October 14, 2011 at 11:46 am

Did you read some of the other comments about what their older girls want to be? A slutty vampire…lady gaga…good grief. Not looking forward to that. So happy about the candy corn bark! Although, I’m not surprised. What’s not to love?

Jenna October 14, 2011 at 6:38 am

Haha! The age-old technique of bribery with sweet treats. Love it!

Dad October 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Some compromise! A compromise would have been a pirate in a petticoat.

Meanwhile, I’ll take a dozen of these pretzle rings so put them aside with a bowl of your pralines.

Amy October 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

He doesn’t need the petticoat anymore…once he found out that a pirate has a hat and sword!

Dad October 14, 2011 at 7:32 am

What? No purse?

Joanne October 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I was a cat for MANY years when I was little! (I never had a princess phase…ever.)

And I was a pirate last year (maybe you can convince Haley to be a pirate and then everyone will be happy?).

If you give me four of these…I’d be just about anything you want me to be. :P

Jen October 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Too funny! Love this post. I so wish I could have been there for that conversation with Trevor!

Amy October 13, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I’m sure he’ll tell you all about this weekend!

Mom October 13, 2011 at 11:14 am

I’m still laughing but will pass on this one. It looks good, though.

Amy October 13, 2011 at 11:42 am

I knew you’d get a kick out of that! True story…

Teresa Engstrom October 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

Too funny, Amy! Sorry we won’t get to see them at our door this year! Send us a picture? Hugs & kisses to the kiddos and greeting to you & Paul. (Our street is completely torn up – has been all summer – we were hoping for the first layer of blacktop this week but hasn’t happened yet. Jere’s cars are all dusty!)
PS What happens to the M&M’s that aren’t brown or orange?

Amy October 13, 2011 at 11:41 am

What do you think happens to all the other M&Ms? *insert evil laugh here* Bwahahahahaha. We miss you two so much! Will do on the pictures.

Sandi Benoit October 13, 2011 at 9:09 am

Kyleah wants to be a slutty vampire…OMG and she’s only 8. Grandma is working on a costume change, for her! Joseph is still in Super Hero mode, so we’re safe on that one.
We made these last year, don’t know where I found them at. The kids kept calling them “eyeballs” and ate them as fast as we could make them. Well, until I hid them!!!

Amy October 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

8 going on 16. Good lord. I’m not looking forward to that. Princess doesn’t sound so bad anymore!

Tomi Radke October 13, 2011 at 8:16 am

How cute they will be Amy!! Be sure to post a couple pics. Poor Trevor!!
How simple and cute are these treats! You just amaze me with your creativity and yummy recipes!!

Amy October 13, 2011 at 9:37 am

Thanks, Tomi! Don’t worry about Trevor…he’s now excited to be a pirate :D

Heather October 13, 2011 at 8:07 am

hahaha how funny about the costumes! Just printed the recipe and am excited to try it out!

Julia October 13, 2011 at 7:42 am

I am DREADING when my daughter hits the princess phase. I am SO not a princess girl, and I just KNOW she will be. Sigh. On another note, these look WONDERFUL! The perfect snack, party food, or whatever. Just perfect!

Amy October 13, 2011 at 8:00 am

*waves* Hi Julia! Ya. It’s…um…tired at this point. So looking forward to the day I can get rid of all her dress up princess outfits. But then it will probably be replaced by her begging to have her ears or nose pierced. Maybe the princess thing isn’t so bad…

amanda @ fake ginger October 13, 2011 at 7:40 am

hahaha! Poor little guy! I guess I’m lucky that I have all boys.

These treats look great! I’ve never seen them made with the round pretzels – that makes them look so much more complicated and fancy!

Amy October 13, 2011 at 7:57 am

The difference and dynamic between having one of each gender is pretty fascinating, I must say. And clearly I’m not above bribery to get them into doing what I want ;-) and p.s. the round pretzels are just as easy! You just have to find them…