Halloween Witches Brew

Halloween Witches Brew | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on October 20, 2011 · 14 comments

Last week I spent almost an hour in the store – in the Halloween aisle(s). The manufacturers have put their best marketers to work and they have their sites on easy targets like me. No idea has been left unpackaged. Well of course I need a candy corn cake pan, witch cookies, and ghost napkins! And how could I live without a brain jell-o mold and pumpkin string of lights!

It’s all just so much fun – the decorations, the costumes, and of course, the candy. The hardest part is deciding whether to go trick-or-treating with my own cuties, or wait by the door for the neighborhood ones.

I won’t deny that there’s a heightened level of concern because of Haley’s allergy to peanuts, and all the candy that includes it. But we just take extra precautions, carefully going through her bounty before she’s allowed to eat anything. Questionable items get thrown out (and by thrown out, I mean Daddy eats it.) There’s plenty left over – she never feels deprived, trust me.

And there are always peanut-free, sugar laden, concoctions to keep her happy. Like this drink.

It’s perfect if you’re throwing a party where there will be kids. And for the adults? Throw in some rum. Then you don’t need to feel deprived either.

Halloween Witches Brew

• 1 (59 ounce) container Dole pineapple juice, chilled
• 1 pint orange sherbet, softened
• 2 bottles (20 ounce each) orange soda, chilled

In a punch bowl, stir together pineapple juice and sherbet until sherbet is dissolved. Just before serving, slowly pour soda into juice mixture. Ladle into cups and enjoy!

*For an adult drink, you could add rum.

(adapted from Betty Crocker)

Heather Williams October 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm

What kind of rum is best or this recipe please?

Amy October 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Hi Heather – I’m not a rum connoisseur, but I’m sure Captain Morgan or Bacardi would be fine. I haven’t tried either, since it was intended to be a kid friendly drink.

Heather Williams October 23, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Thanks!!! :). Making it for kids more than likely but was just curious!! Thanks

Julia October 19, 2012 at 8:09 am

I did a roundup of fall recipes on my blog (http://www.acedarspoon.com/15-fall-recipes-part-2/) and added this drink..I love it! Such a great idea.

cathy @ Noble Pig September 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Great Halloween colors! I going to link to this in my upcoming Halloween recipes post.

maria October 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I am not sucking the fun out of this, but if you substitute organic pineapple juice, organic orange sherbert and orange soda not made with corn syrup but cane sugar, you are making it better for you, for the environment and it will taste worlds better~!

Mom October 22, 2011 at 5:17 am

If I can buy natural pineapple juice, sugar free orange soda and
reduced fat sherbet, I’ll try it! The rum sounds good, too.

Amy October 22, 2011 at 8:07 am

HEE ;-)

Jenna October 21, 2011 at 6:25 am

You should post pictures of your cuties in costume! Hope you’re able to decide whether to venture out with them or stay put and let other cuties come to you. It seems like a tough call.

Anna October 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm

This is something good for kids. I like it like that. How about adding vodka after the kids had their share? I think this drink will rock with vodka too…Thanks!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel October 20, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love how you garnished it with a slice of orange. So pretty. I think you need to tint this sucker a horrible color to scare off the kiddies ;)

Victoria R October 20, 2011 at 11:24 am

Your house sounds a lot like my house when I was younger. My three younger siblings were all deathly allergic to all nuts. Although my sisters have grown out of it, my brother has not. I still find myself checking labels on the off-chance my brother stops by my house unannounced! I’m very careful when I’m baking not to contaminate anything. And my dad always had enough Reese’s Cups and M&M’s to last through at least Thanksgiving after we went through my younger siblings’ loot! :-)

And I love how you think! Adding rum so the adults don’t feel left out. :-)

Joanne October 20, 2011 at 10:30 am

That looks shockingly like beer…I was pretty sure it was, in fact, until you said you served it to Haley…and I know you’re not THAT kind of parent! It sounds awesome though…I’d choose it over beer any day.

And if you have any extra Reese’s you need to get rid of, I’ll gladly take care of them. Anything for Haley!

Sandi Benoit October 20, 2011 at 8:32 am

I’m down for the rum!!! John & I fight over who hands out the candy! What ever is left, is never a problem, we buy candy we like! LOL