Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites

Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on October 27, 2011 · 74 comments

The saying “behind every great man, there’s an even better woman” – um, totally true (wink.) But, truth be told, behind all my awesomeness (snort), I’ve got a pretty great man…who shares the potato chips, vacuums, and most importantly, who wastes spends a lot of time on the internet and finds me all kinds of fabulously silly food ideas.

I mean, would you ever think to do this? (Hot dog haters, no comment!)

Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites (Before and After)

Hello. I’m a mom. With two little kids. I couldn’t make these fast enough.

Haley thought they looked like a jelly fish. Trevor thought they looked like a rocket ship. I thought they look like tentacles from an octopus. I’m thinking for Halloween next year, I’ll use orange pasta and dye the hot dogs black. (Well, that just sounds gross. And awesome.)

When I asked what they tasted like, we all agreed…spaghetti and hot dogs. With a big pile of fun.

Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites

• 1 pound thin spaghetti, broken in half
• 8 hot dogs, cut into 6 even pieces

Set a large pot of water to boil.

Thread 5-7 spaghetti strands through each hot dog piece. Cook until pasta is al dente, about 6 minutes.

Serve with red sauce, pesto sauce, Parmesan cheese, maybe melted cheese?

That’s it! Only requirement is you must eat with a smile on your face!

(courtesy of The Meta Picture)

Jackie October 7, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Tried these tonight with my girls, 8 yrs old and 15 months old, they LOVED them! Melted shredded cheese on top and served them with baked beans and broccoli. We agreed that they are DELISH dipped in the sauce from the beans YUM! Oldest said that they look like a head with hair so she named it Harry……she said it needed a name so she could ask for it again very soon :o)

Amy @Very Culinary October 7, 2014 at 7:55 pm

That is awesome, Jackie! LOVE. IT.

heather August 14, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I did garlic salt/butter and Angel hair pasta. Three girls from 5-13 loved them

Dunya August 14, 2014 at 10:03 am

They were amazing thanks for the great idea.

Chaotica July 17, 2014 at 6:28 am

We loved this ‘recipe’ and we made it vegan. It was so much fun. Thanks. :)

Mimi July 3, 2014 at 7:30 am

Hot dogs pierced with noodles!

Jamie June 18, 2014 at 9:53 am

I really wish people would stop referring to stuff like this as a “recipe”.

Amy @Very Culinary June 18, 2014 at 10:23 am

I’m sure people refer to it as a recipe from habit, and lack of a proper substitute. Not quite sure why you’re irritated or felt the need to post a comment. It’s just all in good fun.

Steven September 1, 2014 at 10:35 am

Jamie..it IS a recipe…it may not contain the amount of ingredients for a traditional ‘recipe’..but it is still a recipe, as per the addition of hot dogs and spaghetti..and you boil it together…and eat…gee..I’D CALL THAT A RECIPE!!

Amy @Very Culinary September 1, 2014 at 10:41 am

HEE! Yes, Steven! Thank you for finding the words that I could not.

Tracy June 2, 2014 at 3:37 pm

My boyfriend and I tried these, heated up our favorite can of Bush beans, spooned some over top with onion…yummy

Samantha May 22, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Does the pasta have to be al dente? My family doesn’t prefer it.

Amy @Very Culinary May 22, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Hi Samantha – cook it anyway you prefer… this is more for fun, than anything else :)

Claire April 9, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Hi. Im not trying to be rude but, I tried these tonight. They were terrible! I almost threw up. If I were you I would not try it. ????????

Amy @Very Culinary April 9, 2014 at 8:23 pm

It’s pasta and hot dogs. If that makes you throw up, then I guess you shouldn’t eat pasta and hot dogs…

Susanne Swanson May 4, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Just made these to make my husband laugh. They were actually pretty good w a little butter, parmesan and a dab of ketchup

Amy @Very Culinary May 4, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Susanne – right? Nothing special, but they sure are fun. Glad you enjoyed them!

Aerixis April 7, 2014 at 9:45 am

To hell with children, I’m 27 and I can’t wait to eat these.

Amy @Very Culinary April 7, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Ha! I feel ya!

Ann April 11, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Me TOO!!

Ls February 14, 2014 at 4:13 pm

awesome, my 2½ year old daughter loved these, she said they were octopus. I live in Buffalo, and we have so many awesome staple foods here, I only eat Sahlens brand hot dogs (these are like you’ve always remembered hot dogs) and angel Hair pasta. It took me a while to put the pasta in, then I decided just to take a bunch and stick them in at the same time. I think the pasta cooks better inside the dog when you take the extra time to put each piece of pasta in, if it’s in a clump it won’t cook all the way, that may help a few ppl who had that problem

Lillian @ My Recipe Journey February 2, 2014 at 9:51 am

I’ve made these when I saw them on a different food site! I served mine with a cheddar cheese sauce…think ‘mac n’ cheese with hot dogs’! It was soooo good and fun to make!

Joe February 1, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I mades these but used chili instead of a tomato based sauce. Then put shredded cheese and shredded onion on it.

Fran January 19, 2014 at 2:20 am

Wow our Girl Guides will just love making and eating these on camp

Joe m December 6, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I think this is an absolutely amazing idea, my 13 grandchildren will absolutely love this. It seems like a neat way to get them all to enjoy a meal all together. But I would really like to use a larger noodle so it could hold some sauce. Do you think tetrazzini noodles work, or perhaps penne?

Amy @Very Culinary December 6, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Hi Joe! Unfortunately, a tube pasta or thicker noodle won’t work. You need a thin dried pasta, one that has a sharp/pointed end so that it can be “threaded” through the hot dog before it’s cooked.

jessica lacava November 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm

O.M.G. this is such a cute idea!! going to give them a try with my grandkids! I think they will be a hit!

Amy @Very Culinary November 2, 2013 at 7:20 am

They’re definitely a winner with little kids! Have fun!

Tammy October 16, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Just made this tonight and topped it with leftover homemade chili and shredded cheddar cheese. I think Cincinnati chili would be even better on top with chopped onions as well!

Steven September 1, 2014 at 10:33 am

I was just thinking the same thing with ‘Cincinnati Chili’…can’t wait to try these with my grandkids..and this big KID!

Amy @Very Culinary September 1, 2014 at 10:44 am

These are fun – no matter what age you are! Thanks, Steven :D

Minna September 2, 2013 at 10:45 am

Just made these for my little brothers and it was a huge success! Thanks so much :)

Amy @Very Culinary September 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Awesome!

fredlynn brisson June 25, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I love it! i’m about to try this very soon :)

fredlynn brisson June 25, 2013 at 1:45 pm

nice!

Lynn May 3, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I just made this out of curiosity and they are yummy!! Boiled hotdogs are my favorite and I even added some shredded cheese on this! Ty for sharing!

Nancy April 23, 2013 at 10:28 am

I like to surprise my husband on a routine basis at dinner, by choosing a new and different ethnic cuisine, or preparing an old stand by in a new way. This will surely surprise him, along with some silly vegetable side dish and another “kid” oriented side or two. Off to hunt them down. I wonder how to search for those? lol

AdeleF March 21, 2013 at 2:29 am

This would surely work well with zuchinni or other long vegetables that would boil well? Maybe the pasta will take longer to boil though.. mm

TaraMaiden March 15, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I made sure that cooking times were identical for hot dogs AND spaghetti by using quick-cook pasta…. brought the water to a rolling boil, plunged in the sausage-and-pasta quirky things – and turned the heat off, covered, and left for 6 minutes. Perfectly cooked.
Definitely one to be tried – just for the fun of it!!

Ryan March 5, 2013 at 10:08 am

Boiled hot dogs are something that adults should never have
meanwhile use sausage for awesomeness.

Catherine March 7, 2013 at 8:04 pm

What? Why can’t adults eat hot dogs?? I will be eating them for the rest of my life ._. Creep.

Andrew March 4, 2013 at 1:49 am

Noticed we had some leftover polish dogs and plenty of spaghetti, so I decided to make this dish for the family tonight (live at home) It was a big hit, everyone liked it!

patricia impens January 6, 2013 at 10:15 am

In the words of my 9 year old grandson. Grandma these are AZMAZING!!!! Lol

Amy January 6, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Awesome!

patricia impens January 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

Thanks Amy they were a big hit with the grandkids!! No sauce just some KETUP lol!!! Which these days am thankful I have a HEINZ connection!!!

patricia impens January 6, 2013 at 9:53 am

Am cooking them now curious as to what the grandkids will think of them lol!!! Love the idea myself thanks

Julie November 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I don’t know how long it’s been since I bought (or ate) hotdogs. But when I saw this recipe, I thought it might be a hit with my kids. (by the way, hotdogs are expensive and they don’t make them like they used to… much better imo). Anyway… the kids gobbled them up without any questions or comments about how “gross” or “weird” anything looked. Who’d a thunk it??

Amy November 2, 2012 at 5:27 am

We’re not regular hot dog eaters, except at the ball game and anual fire station open house. But I don’t know…there’s something about a hot dog (like mac and cheese) that is comforting to me. Weird? Clearly there’s nothing gourmet about this meal. It’s just fun. And I can’t imagine most kids not getting a kick out of it. Yours included!

TriedandFail October 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I tried out this recipe. While the outside pasta cooked just fine, the parts inside the meat never cooked. I even tried with angel hair and boiled it for a couple minutes longer but that didn’t help. How did you cook the pasta all the way through?

Amy October 2, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I boiled the pasta according to the directions on the package for al dente. Cooked all the way through.

Lynne Foster August 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm

They look so fun,but do the hot dogs plump up and get all misshapen after boiling them? Also do you use regular old hot dogs because in the picture they look loke little smokies.

Amy August 25, 2012 at 5:53 am

Yes, regular hot dogs, cut up into pieces as instructed. They do plump up but should not misshapen. They should look like the picture. Lynne, don’t take this dish too seriously. It’s not meant to be precise…just something silly. Hope you Have fun with it!

Doris June 12, 2012 at 3:46 pm

What a neat idea. My son is an eater. However, he would love these. He loves plain pasta and hot dogs. The combo would be fun for him!
Thanks,
Doris D

Ali Henning June 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I made this dish for my 11 year old and my 5 year old who is autistic, and it was a hit! We called them “spaghetti octopi” and my daughter had a garlic pasta sauce where my son had a garlic topping, and they both ate what I gave them (no small feat in my house!) These will definitely be on the list of regular entrees for us, thank you for sharing it!

Amy June 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Greetings Ali – what an awesome feeling it is to know these were so well received and served a sensory purpose, too. Yay!

Bud August 24, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I call these “lingweenies”

gretchen mitchell March 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I work with children in grades 3-5. One of the things that we teach them as part of self-sufficiency is basic cooking skills. The spaghetti & hot dogs idea seems like a great idea for them: fun, frugal, & filling. We will definitely be trying them.

Amy March 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm

What fun! And how wonderful to know that some teachers/schools continue to incorporate something other than reading and math into the lesson plan :D

Margherita March 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hahaha! Those are awesome, I guess my niece is going to love them!

Jonie Wilson February 6, 2012 at 6:02 am

Hotdogs and spagetti

R Mc January 10, 2012 at 7:15 am

Making the birthday dinner for a friend who has had hot dogs every year on his birthday for the last 36 years. Won’t he be surprised this year?! I know the kids will love it, and maybe I can even have a chance to impress his parents a little, despite having hot dogs for the entree!! Thanks so much! :)

Amy January 10, 2012 at 8:25 am

YAY :D Gourmet, they are not…but they are seriously fun! Guaranteed to put an instant smile on any hot dog lover’s face. He’ll love them.

lo November 8, 2011 at 10:11 am

This gave me such an incredible giggle. I owe Paul for that.

And for next Halloween… maybe blood sausage? ;)

Ethan Adeland November 2, 2011 at 7:05 am

I come here to be entertained (and to say hi) and mission accomplished, I am amused by this! Good job searching Paul and Amy on the execution of course :)

Mom October 28, 2011 at 9:44 am

Really cute.

Becki's Whole Life October 28, 2011 at 5:41 am

Soo cute – my kiddos would love this. I feel like the spaghetti would break on me as I am pushing through the hot dog, but I will just have to try for myself. I guess as long as you push it straight through it will be fine. I’m thinking some type of a cheese sauce would be good here..

Amy October 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Hi Becki – I thought the same thing, but I didn’t have any problems. I think the sharpness of the spaghetti end and the softness of the hot dog made it easy. And you don’t really push it from the end, per se. It’s more like you guide it little by little. If you do have problems, maybe use regular spaghetti instead of the thin version.

Joanne October 27, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I’ve been a hot dog hater for YEARS due to my brother traumatizing me with them…but this is pretty cute.

Jen October 27, 2011 at 11:12 am

Ah…if only I liked hotdogs. Good idea next time the kids are at my house though. Hint…hint!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy October 27, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’ve done this with my kids before and they loved them with spaghetti sauce. You can also cut 7 thin slits lengthwise up a hotdog, leaving an inch on top whole, then boil it and the “legs” get all squiggly like an octopus. Oh what we do to please our kids!

Bev Weidner October 27, 2011 at 10:22 am

I am laughing so hard right now at the AWESOMENESS of this post.

Sandi Benoit October 27, 2011 at 8:30 am

Hmmm…..looks like someone had too much time on their hands…LOL
I’m glad I read the directions, for a minute there, I thought you threaed the noodles through after they were cooked….May give these a try for the grand babies…Joseph would Love them!

Terry S November 24, 2013 at 11:25 am

Say a picture of these on Flickr and searched for a recipe and found yours. Kids and the wife loved making them and eating them. Thanks for sharing.

Amy @Very Culinary November 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Glad you found me, Terry!