Couscous, Bean, and Sausage Stuffed Peppers

Post image for Couscous, Bean, and Sausage Stuffed Peppers

by Amy Flanigan on November 1, 2011 · 13 comments

I originally posted this 2 years ago. Do you remember it?

Ah, it’s okay. Don’t feel bad. I barely remembered it myself, since it’s gone through a couple changes since then. And therefore, I feel an updated post is warranted. (Don’t call me a cheater…that’s not nice. I let you get away with not remembering, didn’t I?)

Unfortunately, I get the same scowl from the family when chopping these ingredients as I do with this one. Bell peppers do nothing for Paul and the kids just pick it apart making a huge mess for the dogs to clean up. Score Ebi and Ginger!

And if I’m being totally-Simon-Cowell-honest here, this dish is not mind blowing. And yet…I do make it every few months. It’s light and filling and the different textures play well together. As long as you thoroughly season your sausage, there’s great flavor. You can easily leave out the sausage for a vegetarian meal, but you’ll need to add more spice to the mixture.

I realize that wasn’t the most ringing endorsement. But it’s quite good. Really.

(For the Pacific Foods Broth winners, please visit the original post and scroll down to the bottom.)

Couscous, Bean, and Sausage Stuffed Peppers
Cook time: 1 hour

• 4 large orange bell peppers
• 1/2 pound seasoned ground sausage
• 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup crumbled feta (4 ounces)
• 1/2 cup plain raw couscous
• 4 scallions, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• salt and pepper
• 2 cups veggie or chicken stock

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook the sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no pink remains. Place in a large bowl. Add the beans, feta, couscous, scallions, garlic, and oregano to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Set aside.

Slice a very thin layer from the base of each bell pepper so they sit flat. Slice off the tops just below the stem. Discard stem, chop the tops and place in bowl with the sausage mixture. Remove ribs and seeds from the peppers.

Stuff peppers with the mixture. Place the stuffed peppers in a 5-quart ovenproof pot with a tight fitting lid; add your stock. Cover and bake until peppers are tender, about 1 hour.

(adapted from Martha Stewart)

Stephanie November 2, 2011 at 1:31 pm

We maked stuffed peppers often, they’re actually one of my favorite meals. However, I never posted them on the blog. We always flavor them by using a can of tomato sauce with a bunch of seasonings. It also helps cook whatever grain you put in.

Amy November 2, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I love stuffed peppers, too. Have several recipes, and wouldn’t you know it – one of them includes rice and tomato sauce :D

Jenna November 2, 2011 at 7:21 am

I think this looks good–simple and healthy. I’ve recently realized that every meal I make does NOT need to be mind-blowing, and I’m finding great freedom in that!

Anna November 1, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I have always loved the distinct flavor of pepper, although I can say the yellow variety is prettier seen than tasted. My little girl does not really like peppers but when you tell her these have magic powers that color your cheeks pinkish blush-like red…She stuffs a great amount in her mouth ;)Thanks for sharing! This may really be just a simple dish, not mind blowing, but I love it just the way it is…

Amy November 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Greetings Anna – the orange and red are my favorite. I hate green bell peppers, but what’s to like? They’re not ripe! However, maybe I just need someone to convince me they have magic powers ;-)

Joanne November 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Funny thing. before I scrolled down and looked at the recipe, I thought to myself – I should tell Amy to add feta to this! But…you beat met to it. :P Great minds and all.

Sippitysup November 1, 2011 at 4:11 pm

If you!re not growing you’re dying. I fully support updating, revamping, perfecting anything at all. GREG

maria November 1, 2011 at 11:26 am

I absolutely love stuffed pepper recipes, especially the red, yellow and orange variety. Thanks for posting!

Cathy November 1, 2011 at 10:46 am

Purty picture. I don’t like peppers but it sure is attractive.

pam November 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Not everything can be knock-your-socks-off good. These nice, normal everyday dishes are just as necessary!

Tina November 1, 2011 at 8:36 am

I make a stuffed pepper recipe with quinoa and ground turkey. I’m sure I would love this too.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary November 1, 2011 at 8:16 am

There is nothing wrong with re-posting a recipe. I have done a few times myself. Sometimes someone will say “Hey I made your____” and I’m thinking….I made that??? Hmmm. Barely remembered.

I’m with Paul and the kiddos when it comes to peppers. I just don’t like them but the stuffing sounds good!