Inside Out Caramel Apple Slices

Post image for Inside Out Caramel Apple Slices

by Amy Flanigan on November 10, 2011 · 39 comments

Apple Hill – it’s this quaint area about an hour from us. Up in the foothills. Lots of character, mature trees, beautiful. It’s home to the Harvest run, Apple Blossom festival, wineries, and of course a million different apple growers. Paul and I got married there.

Haley’s kindergarten class had a field trip there a couple weeks ago. Trevor’s preschool went there the month prior. And we usually make a family outing at the beginning of the Fall season.

Needless to say, we’ve been eating apples like nobody’s business. And my apple radar has been on high alert when reading through all my favorite blogs. I can’t even remember which one led me to this creation. But so I arrived. And so I made them. Stat.

I almost…almost stopped here –

…but I went all the way. Waited patiently for them to chill in the fridge, so I could cut them. Perhaps a fun Thanksgiving appetizer, me thinks.

Inside Out Caramel Apple Slices
Makes 24 slices
Cool time: 20 minutes

• 3 large Granny Smith apples (or any apple of your choice)
• 1 large lemon
• 2 cups caramel squares, unwrapped
• 2 tablespoons corn syrup
• 1/4 cup chopped pecans
• Chocolate sauce (optional)

Cut your apples in half and use a melon baller to scoop out the insides, leaving the walls intact at about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thickness.

Squeeze the juice from the lemon onto the apples and allow to set. (This will keep them from turning brown right away.)

To make the caramel sauce, melt the caramel squares in a sauce pan over low heat, with the corn syrup. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes.

Using a paper towel, wipe your apples down, removing the lemon juice as much as possible. If the inside of your apple is too wet, the caramel wont stick.

Pour the caramel into the hollowed out apples until just below the top. Sprinkle with pecans.

Chill in the refrigerator until the caramel has set, about 20 minutes. Cut into slices and drizzle with chocolate sauce, if desired.

Note: these are sticky and messy. Just like any good caramel apple should be :D

(originally from Domestic Fits)

Esther Pinter October 4, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Hi Esther
I saw on facebook you were looking for a recipe for caramel apple with carameo inside. This is all I could find. Not sure if it is what you are looking for but sounds good.
Debbie

Trace September 7, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Made these today. They came out great and big hit with the kids. Ditto to what Denise said. Don’t over boil or you won’t be able to stir the caramel.

Denise May 9, 2013 at 11:55 am

I will testing these out tonight.
I did want to say, in my experience working with corn syrup for special k bars, if you boil/heat too much it will turn out hard as a rock. so when heating the caramel and corn syrup, b very careful!

DeeJay December 16, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Help! I made a sample batch of this today to test before making a double batch for an upcoming holiday party. The caramel was hard as a rock. I couldn’t even cut through the without out it just breaking like a rock! What did I do wrong? How can I prevent this from happening with tomorrows batch?

Amy December 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Hi DeeJay – I haven’t had any issues making these, so I couldn’t say, sorry :( I suggest reading through some of the other comments for suggestions. There were 2 (I think) other people who had the same problems with hardening. Good luck!

Rich December 1, 2012 at 10:24 am

Do you need to add the cornstarch to the caramel in order for this to work?

Amy December 1, 2012 at 10:35 am

Hi Rich – this is the only way I have ever made them, so I don’t know what results would come of eliminating the cornstarch.

Dianne November 25, 2012 at 10:55 am

Made these for a Thanksgiving app and they were gobbled up! Thanks for the great idea!

Nicole K November 25, 2012 at 10:34 am

I tried this recipe as is and my caramel didn’t harden enough. It got stiffer in the refrigerator, but the minute I took it out, it got softer and started falling off the apples. Any advice on how to harden the caramel more and how to get it to stick to the apples more?

Amy November 25, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hm. I don’t know why it didn’t harden…you do want it soft enough to pour, but it should set. As mentioned in my notes, I do know that the apples need to be dry for the caramel to stick…

Lee A November 22, 2012 at 8:46 am

i tried it by melting the caramels in the microwave with 1 tablespoon of water and it came out great !!! I love this and will make these every time we want caramel apples !!! ( MMMM summer bbq’s will never be the samr !!!)

Eileen November 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Ok I tried this recipe that was seen here…my caramel came out hard as a rock! I tried it with the Light Karo Corn Syrup as it had said as I put it in the pot and put my caramels in. It did not work! I was very disappointed that my caramel came out as hard as a rock. Soooooo…I threw em out. But then my friend Tiffany saved me and gave me her OWN recipe for caramel apples…instead of using the corn syrup, I used Sweetened condensed milk. Used the whole can, then put my caramels in, with a tsp of sugar, and a 1/8 tsp of salt, and a pinch of vanilla extract. WALLA! IT WORKED! No corn syrup, unless you want the caramel coming out hard…This was a fabulous idea, but I think I will go without the corn syrup this time :)

Alison November 19, 2012 at 6:52 am

I made these the other day, following the instruction. I didn’t have any problems with the corn syrup but I did notice it was starting to harden before 10 minutes so I just poured it into the apples sooner. Came out fine. Maybe you let it cool too long?

Lee A November 22, 2012 at 8:48 am

cut top to bottom and they are longer.

Jennie November 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Thank you for sharing this and I love that you were in Apple Hill I grew up in Camino working at many of the apple stands and this time of year I miss Apple Hill. If you have not had the apple doughnuts at High Hill go there now they are truly amazing. I will be making this recipe for a Thanksgiving appetizer along with my Apple Hill (Abels Acres) apple pie that a friend brought to me in Oregon from home.

Can’t wait!!

Shari November 17, 2012 at 9:21 pm

What is the best way to cut them?

Amy November 18, 2012 at 7:17 am

Hi Shari – not sure I understand the question…I use a sharp knife. ??

Quinn Noldner November 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Is there anything clever you do with the apple you scoop out?

Amy November 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Not really. Just eat it or toss the pieces in a salad.

shelley November 7, 2012 at 12:42 am

I tried these but switched out the Granny Smith apples for Honey Crisp apples…so good!

denise December 10, 2011 at 9:39 pm

omg, can’t wait to try this. looks like heaven!!!!

Becki's Whole Life November 18, 2011 at 3:48 am

Oh my goodness – these are adorable and a great snack for kids. I might try to make them this afternoon before the kids get home!

PJ November 15, 2011 at 11:20 am

I got my Pacific Food pirze this weekend! Thank you so much! I used one already to make a Six can chicken Tortilla soup! Thanks!!!

Amy November 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

YAY :D …and sounds delish!

Stephanie November 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Everything about these is perfect. They are SO cute, way less messy than a regular caramel apple, and way fun. I bet the kids (big AND little) loved them!

Amber, RD November 12, 2011 at 9:14 am

Those look beautiful! What a clever idea!

Joanne November 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Perhaps…lunch tomorrow?

I really love apples…like…LOVE. There has been way too little apple picking in my life recently. I think I may need to go to CA again and visit you and pick some apples. Stat.

Dad November 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I finally figured out why they’re inside out. I think I like these better… Just think of how many things could be improved with this filling including me.

Mom November 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

This looks like an easy way to enjoy the flavor of caramel apples bypassing the traditional method. Great idea.

Melissa November 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

Oh my gosh, I’m salivating! I’m making these tonight!

Mike November 10, 2011 at 11:34 am

Really great photos on this one, Amy.

Amy November 10, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Thank you! Honestly, some foods do all the work for me :D

pam November 10, 2011 at 9:24 am

Those could be a dessert, a snack …dinner :)

Sandi November 10, 2011 at 9:15 am

Now these look good!!!! Drizzle some chocolate on top…YUM!!! Any ideas or suggestions for “Taffy” apples? Other than the “traditional” method…

Amy November 10, 2011 at 9:27 am

Forgive my ignorance, Sandi – I don’t think I’m familiar with a taffy apple…what’s the difference between that and a caramel one?

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary November 10, 2011 at 9:07 am

I saw this on my new addiction – Pinterest and thought – what a great idea. Glad you made them and tested for me, lol.

Ella November 10, 2011 at 8:57 am

why hasn’t anyone thought of this before! genius. i went apple picking a few weeks ago and decided to make pie instead of caramel apples, but now i’m regretting that choice…

Jenna November 10, 2011 at 8:24 am

This is awesome! My complaint with regular caramel-covered apples is that they are impossible to eat . . . and messy! So I love that these are sliced, and easy to grab and bite into without the fear of getting caramel all over your face. =)

Amy November 10, 2011 at 8:31 am

Jenna! These are still messy, as noted in the recipe :( But perhaps less than a whole apple…and totally worth it!