Candied Pecans

Candied Pecans from Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on December 1, 2011 · 20 comments

These have practically become a permanent fixture in my house. Seriously. I’ve lost count of how many batches I have made…and how many people have become indebted to me by leaving them on the counter top, greeting friends and family as they walk through the door.

Like most pralines, they’re best warm from the oven. But I’ve doubled the recipe and stored them for weeks – hiding them from Paul and the kids, which is the only way they will last that long – still fantastic.

Make a batch for yourself. Or even better, for the loved ones in your life. A cup of these in a cellophane bag, with a cute ribbon as holiday gifts, and everyone will be indebted to you.

Candied Pecans
Makes approx. 7 cups

• 3 egg whites
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 pound pecan halves
• 1 stick of butter
• 1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; add vanilla and gradually add sugar. Toss in the pecans and mix gently with a wooden spoon or spatula until they are coated thoroughly.

Melt butter and pour on a baking sheet. Spread the pecans out evenly over the baking sheet and cook for 40 minutes, turning them every 10 minutes with a spatula – do not skip this step! (They will look like a gloppy mess at first, but don’t worry! Keep turning as instructed and all will be good.)

Cool for about 2 minutes, then using a zip lock bag, shake the pecans in powdered sugar until coated. Keep in a sealed container for up to 4 weeks.

(originally from Lisa at The Cutting Edge of Ordinary)

Margaret January 17, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I want recipes sent right to my email box please. GREAT site !

Amy @Very Culinary January 18, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Haha! Thanks, Margaret!

Deb Kerns December 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm

They look delish. Great gift idea!

Amy @Very Culinary December 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Yep! I usually triple the recipe and give as gifts each year. This year I sextupled the recipe. I still don’t think it’s enough. They’re so good, I hate parting with them. Lol.

Barb December 6, 2013 at 10:58 am

Can’t wait to try these

Rick August 31, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Oh! Now i’ve got to try these! Love pecans and getting ready to start picking mine up from under the tree! Get to use my new pecan cracker which gives me three things to look forward too! Can’t beat that, thanks for the recipe, Rick.

Sohroosh December 5, 2011 at 10:43 am

These look amazing! I want to try this with hazelnuts (although, I’m guessing they won’t pick up the sugar coating as well without all those ridges).

Amy December 6, 2011 at 7:07 am

Hi Sohroosh! Hazelnuts do sounds delish, but I think you’re right. I’m thinking of making these with walnuts, which I think would render a similar result as the pecans. I guess we won’t know until we try :D

Jay December 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I can attest that these little gems are totally addicting. Worse than crack…not that I know anything about that… but, well…you get the point.

Dad December 2, 2011 at 4:12 pm

What you mean “We?”, Sharon.

Mom December 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

It’s almost impossible to stop eating these! One has to tear oneself away from the dish to stop. Amy, you are making it impossible to lose a few pounds! We’ve all lost our self control………..

Dad December 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Even after the first three pounds, they still beckon and appeal to the gluttony that I have perfected.

Dale December 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Words like Addictive, Irresistable, More Please!!, fall short of describing how truly Wonderful these are. My Mom made these every year during the Holidays since the Forties. A few times she said “not this year,Pecans are too high”. You’d have thought the world was ending to hear all of us whining. So being Mom, she’d find a way to sneak ‘em into our Xmas stockings & have a reserve for THE BIG DINNER at Xmas. A few years ago, she became too frail to carry on so I was designated her replacement. Now, every year one of the first mentions of Chrismas doings is, ” you WILL be making the Nuts soon. Right?” And, being my Moms good son & apprentice, and to honor her memory, I begin making the first ten or so pounds this time of year followed by about ten more a week or so before Christmas. They never fail to bring big smiles to all who know them.

Amy December 1, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Love it! Thanks for the story, Dale.

Sandi Benoit December 1, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh….Pecans….one of my weaknesses….!!! Printed & Thanks Amy!!

pam December 1, 2011 at 11:13 am

I have to take a snack to a party, and I think this will be perfect.

Joanne December 1, 2011 at 10:45 am

These sound like something I’d have to get my roommates to hide from ME. Lest I devour the entire batch in mere minutes.

sippitysup December 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

Hmmm… maybe this is the answer I was looking for. The LA bloggers are having a cookie exchange. After all the ways I have made fun of cookies on my blog it just seem inauthentic to bring , you know cookies! Maybe if I bring nuts they will continue to think I am, you know nuts. GREG

Jenna December 1, 2011 at 10:02 am

I’m willing to face the gloopy mess if they turn into the little beauties you have photographed so well!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary December 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

These are just totally addicting huh? Forget potato chips, or M&M’s or peanuts. You can’t walk by these without grabbing some and then coming back 1 minute later for more. Thank my mother-in-law. She is the one who send me the recipe and got me and the rest of Rhode Island addicted.

I’m glad you like them so much and I’m glad I got to share them with you and all your readers. They do make a great Christmas present.