Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Molasses

Post image for Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Molasses

by Amy Flanigan on December 13, 2011 · 21 comments

This is part II of my recent molasses discovery.

I actually made these over a month ago and feared you were all being inundated with Brussels recipes, so I decided to hold back. Give you some room. Let you enjoy a light apple salad with candied walnuts or warm prosciutto-wrapped turkey panini instead.

But I’m over that now. I just can’t keep these from you any longer…they need to be shared.

So easy! And the deep rich molasses suppresses the bitterness that Brussels sprouts tend to have. I swear.

Oh molasses, I know it took me a long time to find you, but I’m here now. And I won’t ever leave.

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Molasses

• 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, stems cut, tough outer leaves removed, and halved lengthwise
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• Salt
• 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses

In a very large saute pan, heat the butter and the olive oil over medium-high until the butter is melted and bubbling. Place the Brussels sprouts cut side down. Let them cook (without stirring) for about 3 minutes, until the cut sides have a nice brown crust. Then flip them over.

Sprinkle with salt, add the garlic, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.

Next add 2 tablespoons of water and the molasses.  Turn the heat down to medium and cook, stirring frequently to get the Brussels sprouts coated with the molasses as it thickens.  Cook for another 5 minutes, or until Brussels sprouts are tender when pierced with a fork.  Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

(originally from Five and Spice)

Jessica @ Cajunlicious December 14, 2011 at 11:30 am

Love Brussels Sprouts! So happy I found you on fellow foodies blog, you’ve got yourself a new follower! xo Jessica @ Cajunlicious

Amy December 14, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I’ve never heard of Fellow Foodies ?? Glad to have you here, Jessica…thanks!

Stephanie December 14, 2011 at 7:04 am

I don’t know about all this molasses loving going on, Amy. I don’t know if I trust you that much…. However, my love for brussels sprouts runs deep…. Decisions, decisions.

Rachel December 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm

omg. I hate brussel sprouts because of the bitterness, but covered in molasses??? YES. That makes so much sense. Choirs of angels are singing right now. In my head. I am so making these. Thank you Amy!!!

Amy December 13, 2011 at 6:20 pm

How do you feel about spinach and broccoli? I can’t remember… most people put those in the bitter category, too. I don’t know, maybe I’m just an odd bird, since I love all 3, simply slathered in salt and butter :D If you hate Brussels that much, the molasses might not save them for you. BUT I think the molasses totally rocked it. I really hope you make them. Report back!

Joanne December 13, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I just made some Brussels sprouts and though I can usually handle that bitterness…these were beyond bitter. I think I need to re saute them with some molasses!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel December 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Neither my husband or I have ever have brussel sprouts. One of these days I’ll take the plunge and try them. I keep secretly hoping they’ll taste like mini heads of iceburg lettuce but I’m sure that’s not the case lol. :)

Amy December 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Never had ‘em? Actually, I think they’re one of the least favorite veggies out there, so… but I love them, and I think people are missing out! You just have to know how to prepare them. Like with molasses ;-)

Andrea December 13, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hey, I just bought Brussels sprouts this morning, thinking I would do more mixed roasted vegetables this week. (Did Delicata squash, sweet potato, regular potato, leeks, fennel, and carrots this weekend. Had the leftovers in an omelet. Delicious!) I’ll try this instead. Maybe if I used bacon fat instead of butter Milo would go for them. I wonder . . . .

Amy December 13, 2011 at 11:02 am

Um…if you use bacon fat, *I* will surely go for them :D

Jude December 13, 2011 at 9:38 am

Oh, yum!

Amy December 13, 2011 at 11:01 am

Right?!

the wicked noodle December 13, 2011 at 8:44 am

I’m loving all the molasses recipes! I personally love molasses. I make some crazy good chipotle baked beans and I always add molasses; it makes all the difference. These brussel sprouts look killer!! Alan refuses to eat brussel sprouts. My sister convinced him that if he had them roasted he’d like them…you can guess what happened ;)

Amy December 13, 2011 at 8:59 am

Kristy, I used to say to parents all the time, “Think your kids don’t like vegetables? Roast them…grill them…they’ll love them.” Um…no. I learned my lesson. Some kids (little and the grown up variety) just hate veggies. Sigh.

P.s. the chipotle baked beans with molasses? Hello. Please send my way. K. Thanks.

lo December 13, 2011 at 8:34 am

I’m mulling over the flavors in my mouth right now, as I type, and I’m thinking this is pretty brilliant.

Also thinking I’m a little jealous. Here you’re backlogged with things to blog, and I haven’t cooked up a thing worth talking about all month :)

Amy December 13, 2011 at 8:56 am

Oh trust me, I’m only backlogged because of the holidays. Once January hits, I’ll be struggling too. Either that, or just plain exhausted. I have an idea – make these Brussels and then you’ll have something to talk about :D

Jenna December 13, 2011 at 8:33 am

Marvellous! I love the little green guys, and I would love them even better with that brown crust you describe. MMMmmm!

Amy December 13, 2011 at 8:54 am

Well, you know we have the same palate – how can you resist? ;-)