Mushroom Melt

Post image for Mushroom Melt

by Amy Flanigan on December 27, 2011 · 22 comments

Lack of sleep, having to read the same book every night for months, watching Dora the Explorer – hardships parents have to face. And in my case, ignoring recipes with potatoes, goat cheese, and mushrooms. Talk about sacrifice!

But Rebecca posted this mushroom melt last week, and well, the force was strong. No amount of whining was stopping me.

The mushrooms are distinctive, the cheese is gooey, the bread crunchy; the flavors are sharp and wonderful. It’s one of those perfect grilled cheese sandwiches that have you justifying halfway through why you need another whole one, even though your belly is locked and loaded.

I was reminded how much I love mushrooms, and that I don’t need to live without them! Sorry kiddos, either deal or learn to make your own sandwiches. If I’m forced to listen to kazoos, then you can eat a little fungus.

Mushroom Melt

• 16 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced (I used button and baby portabellas)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 of a small yellow onion, diced very small
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
• splash of white wine (or veggie stock)
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 3 scallions, green part only, chopped
• 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (or fontina or sharp Cheddar)
• 8 slices light Rye (or pumpernickel)
• 4 tablespoons margarine

Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt, and let cook for at least 1 minute without stirring, so they develop a brown crust. Stir and let cook for 2 more minutes. Add in the onion and garlic, stir and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the white wine or stock and scrape up any brown bits that are stuck to the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add the butter, stirring, just until melted. Remove from the heat, add a dash more salt and pepper, toss in the scallions.

Remove mushrooms to a medium bowl; wipe out the pan and set aside. Add the cheese to the mushroom mixture.

Spread margarine on one side of each bread slice. Distribute the mushroom mixture evenly among 4 slices. Top each slice with the other pieces of bread, butter side up.

Heat the large non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 2 sandwiches and cook for 1-2 minutes; flip and cook for 2 minutes longer or until golden brown. Repeat with the other 2 sandwiches. Serve hot.

(slightly adapted from Rebecca at Foodie with Family)

Eunice February 21, 2013 at 8:32 am

I have a question, how do you flip the sandwich with mushroom pieces inside without letting the whole thing fall apart? Will it stay together?

Thanks!

Amy February 21, 2013 at 8:59 am

Like any grilled cheese sandwich with “stuff” in it, the melted cheese acts as a binder and will hold everything together. Yes, a few mushrooms might fall out, but generally speaking, if you flip it while gently helping it with one hand, it’ll be fine.

Kevin (Closet Cooking) January 23, 2012 at 3:30 am

This is one of my favourite grilled cheeses!

Rachel January 5, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I made these about a week ago with a friend of mine and they were AMAZING! I don’t even like mushrooms that much! We forgot the scallions, and we used sharp cheddar with 2oz of goat cheese to make it taste extra creamy. We had so much mixture left over we put it in omelets two days later. Thanks for the great recipe!!

Amy January 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Yay! That’s great…and the cheddar/goat cheese sounds heavenly – good call. So glad it worked out for you, Rachel, and thanks for popping over!

the wicked noodle January 2, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’m making this TODAY. Seriously. I’m going to the store, buying ingredients and making this for dinner. Possibly lunch. And for a snack. Looks SO good!!

Happy 2012, my friend! Wishing you all the great things you deserve!

endy daniel December 30, 2011 at 2:37 am

I’m a big fan of button mushroom… this looks so delish!

kyleen December 29, 2011 at 10:17 am

I bet your kids changed their minds about the mushrooms after they tried this mushroom melt; it looks absolutely mouth-watering.

Mom December 29, 2011 at 10:12 am

This really looks good, but I got on the scale this morning and will have to put this on hold! I’ts on my list for next year.

Joanne December 27, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Wait, your kids don’t like POTATOES? What kind of kids did you raise?!?!?

Just kidding. Kind of.

I’m still working on liking mushrooms…but covered in cheese, I could learn to love anything.

Joanne (Inspired Taste) December 27, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Love this, anything with mushrooms, bread and cheese gets me excited! Lovely recipe.

tia December 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm

those 2 words “mushroom melt” were enough to make ME melt!!!

sippitysup December 27, 2011 at 11:01 am

Yummy. Really. Mushrooms and cheese with goo and crunch. You just gave me a great idea. Happy New Year. GREG

Sandi December 27, 2011 at 10:56 am

Wonder if you used your Belgium waffle maker to make this… :-)

Jude December 27, 2011 at 10:05 am

“If I’m forced to listen to kazoos, then you can eat a little fungus.” – HA! …wonder how many parents have said that.

This sammie looks great.

Amy December 27, 2011 at 10:44 am

HEE. Millions! Well, maybe not that exact statement, but I can think of many other items that can (and have) replaced kazoos and mushrooms. Just fill in the blank ;-)

Dad December 27, 2011 at 9:43 am

Looks delicious, but you could have waited a month. After the last week, a photo of a glass of Alka-Seltzer would have been sufficient. Urrrrp.

Amy December 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

*snort* I suppose :D But you’re looking at it all wrong. People are still polishing off all that left over fudge and cookies..this is a nice change of pace. Attempts at dieting won’t start until next week, anyway.

Shawna {The Blue Muse} December 27, 2011 at 9:13 am

Is it wrong to have a mushroom melt for breakfast? This looks SO GOOD! (P.S. Your kidlets don’t like potatoes???)

Amy December 27, 2011 at 9:20 am

If it’s wrong, than I don’t want to be right! Nope, potatoes get no love from them, no matter how they’re prepared – not even tator tots. Crazy, huh? It’s maddening!!

Melissa December 27, 2011 at 8:02 am

Yes. YES. Steve isn’t big big on mushrooms, or cheese, but he about died over the seared mushrooms melted in with the provolone and beef last night. We will definitely be making it again. You should make the roasted creamed onions and smash some of those on there, too. *Swoon*

Amy December 27, 2011 at 8:24 am

Oh, no doubt. You already know how much I love those onions…along with prime rib, this sandwich would make my knees buckle.