Let’s Dish: What Would You Want Your Last Meal On Earth To Be?

Post image for Let’s Dish: What Would You Want Your Last Meal On Earth To Be?

by Amy Flanigan on January 2, 2012 · 24 comments

We’re going to start off the new year with a Let’s Dish, mm k? It’s long overdue. We’ll return to our regularly scheduled programming and more food on Thursday.

After finishing up the holiday season, and making some of my favorite childhood dishes, and also watching Dead Man Walking for the first time (well, that was light and fun…not), I got to thinking, “What would I want my last meal on Earth to be, if I was going to be executed?” (umoh hi…Happy New Year!)

For me it’s a no brainer. That picture ^^^ is clear – I want my mom’s Teriyaki Barbecue Roasted Tri-Tip, her Rice Pilaf with Sautéed Onions and Beef Consommé, and these Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Molasses.

And also French Coconut Pie. *cries*

French Coconut Pie

How about you – what would you want your last meal on Earth to be? Lobster and corn? Prime rib and asparagus? Lasagne? A cheese plate? A flight of stiff drinks? (I mean, you are about to die, after all…)

Stephanie January 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

I feel like there is just way too much good food to decide on just ONE thing! Do you go sweet or savory? Hot or cold? But more importantly, why are we making such difficult decisions during the first week of the new year?!?!

I THINK my last meal would have to be some kind of pasta and a cannoli. Or 12.

Amy January 4, 2012 at 10:39 am

See, you did it after all. And me thinks your choice is quite splendid. Times 12.

Victoria R January 4, 2012 at 9:34 am

A medium filet with sauteed mushrooms and blue cheese, a baked potato with butter, sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar, black olives, and scallions, a slice of breakfast pizza from T.Dub’s in Frankenmuth, MI, and some Chocolate Raspberry Truffle cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory. Man I’m hungry… And now my lunch of grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies doesn’t seem so appetizing!

Amy January 4, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oh goodness. Love it all! Now I’m hungry, too.

Melissa January 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Medium rare cheeseburger, extra cheese, buttered toasted bun, onions
Thai spread from Thai Nakorn in Garden Grove, CA – tom khai kai, pad see ew, pad kee mao, beef with basil, catfish and mango salad, panang curry. I miss them so, so much. *Sob*
Toro, amberjack and yellowtail nigiri
Shrimp tempura temaki and philly temaki
Sausage and spinach pizza on homemade dough with garlic paste
Fish tacos

Amy January 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm

YAY. I was hoping you would participate!..knowing you would bring it. And naturally, you did not disappoint. Damn, lady…that’s one spectacular last meal.

Jenna January 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

Quite possibly I’d want sushi. Probably also a steaming bowl of jasmine rice and I thick, medium rare perfectly cooked ribeye. And a mango lassi.
Happy New Year Amy!

Amy January 3, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Had to Google the mango lassi. And hello…I now want one of those.

Judy Lemke January 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Beef Stroganoff, egg noodles, fresh green beans, and key lime meringue pie for dessert!

Amy January 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Oh Judy, I looove beef stroganoff! I haven’t had it in ages. Now I’ll be dreaming about it until I do. Hm. And the pie – any guesses how I feel about that one?

Jen January 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I would have a 12 oz lobster, twice baked potatoes, sweet corn on the cob, roasted butternut squash soup (http://veryculinary.com/2010/12/02/roasted-butternut-squash-soup/), wild mushroom risotto, and a chocolate-spiced mousse…and I would finish it all! :o)

Amy January 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Yep. That’s a meal to die for…or to have and then die. Whichever. YUM-O.

Joanne January 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

mac and cheese. Loads of it. Followed by a huge red velvet cake.

Yes. The whole cake.

Amy January 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Yes. And yes. And, naturally.

Dad January 2, 2012 at 11:21 am

I’m a simple man with simple needs.

A two-pound New England lobster and filet mignon with … how gauche … French fries (gotta have a veggie). For dessert, a box of See’s marzipan unless my last meal is in New York and then make it Barton’s Pistachio Marzipan!

I will die sick but happy.

Amy January 2, 2012 at 11:49 am

Um, I’ll join you for that meal, thankyouverymuch.

Lynda January 2, 2012 at 9:27 am

Since I spent my “formative” years in the South, I’d want chicken and dumplings, Mississippi purple hull peas, corn bread, and pecan pie. And, of course, I had black eyed peas and turnip greens on New Year’s Day.

Amy January 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

Ah, Southern food. Mmmm. That would be a great way to go out, for sure! YUM. Love black eyed peas, Lynda :D

eat well, live free January 2, 2012 at 8:30 am

A fancy four cheese macaroni casserole, corn bread, asparagus with a goat cheese and almond topping and the biggest hot fudge sundae available. Would it be too much to ask for a red wine?

Amy January 2, 2012 at 9:10 am

Oh my. I loved everything you just said. Yes, please.

Sandi January 2, 2012 at 6:51 am

My mom makes an old German dish, called Stuffed Noodles, they are ravioli on steroids!!! It’s one of those: dump this, some of this, mix it until it feels like this, recipes. The kind you can’t write down. But, they are totally awesome. That would be my last meal on this earth………

Amy January 2, 2012 at 9:10 am

Sounds good to me…I’m in!