One Pot Curried Cauliflower Rice

One Pot Curried Cauliflower Rice on www.veryculinary.com

by Amy Flanigan on January 10, 2012 · 15 comments

Yet another dish that I’ve been meaning to post forever. I had the page marked from Everyday Food…then my friend Krysta made it, then Lisa…but Halloween candy consumed my life. And nobody wants to hear (or look at) cauliflower around Halloween. Am I right? So it got buried. Oh, the shame!

Better late than never. And on the up side, I’ve now had a chance to make it a few times, solidifying my love. (Not that there was any doubt the first time, trust me.)

This little side ditty has great depth. Rich flavor, different textures, and that gorgeous yellow-orange hue from the curry. For me, this is a meal in itself. And p.s. curry powder is not spicy like cayenne pepper, so don’t cut back on the 4 teaspoons. Put ‘em all in there.

Last note – my house smelled like an Indian restaurant for 2 days after making this. If that’s not your thing, make sure you have your vent on while it simmers.

One Pot Curried Cauliflower Rice

• 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1 large head cauliflower, cored and cut into 1 1/2 pieces
• salt and pepper
• 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
• 2 cups of basmati rice
• 4 teaspoons curry powder
• 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 2 3/4 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a Dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium high. Add cauliflower and cook, without stirring for 1 minute, to allow a brown crust to develop. Then stir frequently to coat with the oil for another 1-2 minutes.

Transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add 2 teaspoons of oil and onions to pot; cook, stirring occasionally , until onion is translucent, 5 minutes. Add rice, curry powder, and chickpeas and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until rice is coated, about 2 minutes. Add broth and cream and bring to a boil. Scatter cauliflower over the top (do not stir to combine) Cover and bake until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 minutes.

Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.

(originally from Everyday Food)

Ashleigh November 6, 2012 at 4:11 am

I love this idea, I 2 questions will this be okay to eat with the Honey-Soy Chicken ? Would you kind of dish is the Honey-Soy chicken, and this Cauliflower Rice – Would you say Indian?

If you don’t mind i need the answer today, Cause i am making dinner :)

Amy November 6, 2012 at 5:21 am

Hi Ashleigh – I personally, would not serve this cauliflower rice (which is Indian) with the honey-soy chicken (which is Asian). They have completely different flavors and would not compliment each other well.

Laura April 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

This is a great recipe. I made a few alterations for my food preferences and it turned out great!

Elena February 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

This looks so good! I’ve never made a curry before and I’d love to start with this recipe!

j January 10, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Mmmmmm. Trying this one!

Amy January 11, 2012 at 11:02 am

Yay! Did you see the mushroom melt I posted earlier? I thought about you…although I have no idea whether you like mushrooms. I know most people either love them or hate them, no in between.

Joanne January 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I always wish my house smelled like Indian food. I keep trying to get my roommate to force her (Indian) mom to come live with and cook for us…but she’d rather have her boyfriend stay over. And the two can’t coexist. Sigh.

I’ll just have to take matters into my own hands!

Stephanie January 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm

You probably aren’t going to believe this, but I’ve never had anything curry before. I can’t tell you why, I just never have. THIS seems like a good way to start…

Amy January 10, 2012 at 7:29 pm

WHAT WHAT WHAT??? Stephanie, you’re putting me on! Keep in mind there’s Thai curry and this Indian curry…very different. But both my best friends. You must try it sometime!

the wicked noodle January 10, 2012 at 9:10 am

I’m always looking for yummy side dishes to pair with an ethnic meal. I’m bookmarking this one for sure – YUM!!

Jenna January 10, 2012 at 8:32 am

You always post dishes I want to make, and badly. =) I’ll be cooking this baby as soon as I replenish my dwindling supply of basmati rice.

Amy January 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

You do too, Jenna. We definitely share the same palate.

Margaret January 10, 2012 at 8:15 am

Curry! Cauliflower! Ditto on what’s not to love. And I would close my vents. Love the fragrance of the spices!!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary January 10, 2012 at 7:42 am

Yeah you made it! It was so delicious wasn’t it? You’re right…the house smelled amazing after I made this. You reminded me…I need to make it again!

Let’s see….first was Krysta…then me…now you….who can we get to make it next???? Melissa…do you like cauliflower??

Amy January 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I think she likes cauliflower…and is certainly looking for new sides. Holy jeeze, I loved this. I kept taking bite after bite out of the pan. One of those dishes. Sigh.