Mini Fish Tacos

Post image for Mini Fish Tacos

by Amy Flanigan on February 23, 2012 · 20 comments

First time I ever heard about fish tacos I was 18 years old, down in San Diego with some friends…and I thought “ew.” But we went out to dinner and curiosity got the best of me. I’ve been ordering them, making them, eating them, and loving them ever since.

I believe that traditional fish tacos are deep fried – no wonder they’re so scrumptious – however, I never fry food because I can’t stand the house smelling like burnt oil for 3 days, so I make the non-breaded version. I spotted these mini fish tacos in wonton wrappers and instead of “ew” I thought “brilliant.” And they were.

With some modifications based on what I had in the house, I doubled the recipe and served them for dinner. Finger food rules my life.

Mini Fish Tacos

• 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 cup finely chopped red cabbage or broccoli slaw
• 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
• 1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
• 1 lime
• 12 fresh parsley leaves, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly brush wontons with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and arrange in mini muffin pan slots. (Gently press down the bottoms, so once baked they will sit flat.) Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine 1/4 teaspoon of salt, garlic powder, paprika, and coriander. Rub both sides of fish with the spice mixture. Spread 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the bottom of a nonstick baking sheet and place the fish on top.

Put both the wonton cups and the fish in the oven. Bake for 7-8 minutes until the wontons are golden brown and crisp, remove from oven. Continue baking the fish for another 5 minutes (for a total of 12 minutes) OR until the fish is cooked and the flesh flakes with a fork.

While everything cooks, make the slaw. In a small bowl, combine cabbage (or broccoli slaw), 1/4 teaspoon of salt, yogurt, chili sauce, and juice from half the lime.

Assemble mini tacos by dividing the fish among the wonton cups then top with a spoonful of slaw, parsley and an extra spritz of lime.

(adapted from Inspired Taste)

Corinne February 27, 2013 at 11:21 am

Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe! They are delicious AND beautiful. I added it to my list of favorite muffin tin meals (http://wondermomwannabe.com/muffin-tin-dinner-recipes/) with a link back here for the recipe and instructions.

Joanna M. May 2, 2012 at 8:01 am

Hi there! Love your site and wanted to let you know that I am linking back to your post today at my blog. You can check it out here. Thanks for sharing the delish recipe! :) http://www.bakedbyjoanna.com/2012/05/celebrating-with-a-fiesta-of-food.html

meatballs & milkshakes March 26, 2012 at 9:03 am

These are so cute! I love the wonton wrappers idea, I’ll definitely have to steal it!

Jeanine March 26, 2012 at 7:22 am

I love fish tacos and these are so cute! A great party idea…

Laura (Tutti Dolci) March 26, 2012 at 7:16 am

What a great idea! We’ve been on a fish taco kick at my house lately (3 times in 2 weeks!), so I love these minis for entertaining…or just for snacking :).

Amber March 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Since there is a minimal amount of greek yogurt, I would substitute reduced fat mayo for more flavor. Garlic chili sauce (aka: sriracha) + mayo = Japanese mayonnaise.

He Wears The Apron March 4, 2012 at 10:47 am

What a fun dish! We love to have friends over and I am always looking for a new idea. This will certainly be on our menu the next time we have guests!

Kim February 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I agree- brilliant!! I’m a huge fan myself. I’m planning a trip to San Diego this spring — and do you know my head immediately jumps to “fish tacos” when I think of San Diego?! In SC, if I spot them on a menu, I stop the search– that’s what I’m eating. They’re kind of rare around here.

jodiemo February 24, 2012 at 5:38 am

What a great idea! This looks like perfect party food! I can’t wait to give it a try. Do you think salmon could work? My husband is allergic to white fish. Or maybe shrimp?

Amy February 24, 2012 at 6:39 am

I really believe fish tacos work best with a very mild white fish. As much as I love salmon, it’d be too strong here. I don’t know if these spices would work with shrimp – it’s obviously a different flavor and texture. Plus you’d need to change the cooking method…try it and see!

Denise February 24, 2012 at 2:56 am

What a great and simple idea, love this!

Joanne February 23, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I’ve actually never had fish tacos but I’m kind of enamored with them. They just seem so fresh-flavored! I love them in finger food form. You’re right…everything is better that way!

pam February 23, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I agree, those are brilliant!

sippitysup February 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Oh I am stealing this idea. Oh yes I am… GREG

Mom February 23, 2012 at 10:00 am

These look like I can take one right off the photo. I, too, discovered fish tacos only two years ago. They are delicious, and these should be a treat.

Melissa February 23, 2012 at 9:58 am

Oh my gosh. You are speaking to my heart right now. I need to make these immediately!

Jen February 23, 2012 at 9:46 am

I had the exact same reaction when I first heard about fish tacos; they sounded utterly disgusting. Then, about a year later, I tried one; I was hooked! These look super yummy and great for an appetizer for, um, well, maybe Mother’s Day at our house!

Stephanie February 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

First, fish tacos RULE! Second, how cute are these?! (Insert Ina voice here.) These are so great for any random day, but especially a party! Love them!

Mike February 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

These look really delicious.

Jenna February 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

You’re just killing me with all these great ideas for “little bites.” I want to make them all NOW!!