Chex Lemon Buddies

Chex Lemon Buddies | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on March 1, 2012 · 19 comments

It’s possible that I might have told a few…er…hundred…people how much I love lemony food. My friend Rachel brings me lemons, my BIL’s sister brings me lemons, and now I have a few women at Kindergarten bringing me lemons.

I used to think they were doing me a favor, but I’m onto you ladies! They’re really doing themselves a favor. Because when you have 50 lemons, it’s unlikely you’ll use them all before some start going bad.

But…um…so I have all these lemons. Which leaves me searching for lemon recipes. Because I can’t stand the idea of them going bad.

Haley has also informed me that she’s tired of the snacks I’m giving her for school. Because, you know, white chocolate macadamia nut granola bars, dill pickle cashews, and kettle corn are so played out. Poor baby, right? Sigh. I do suppose after six months, she’s due for something new.

Found these. Made these. Shoveled handfuls into my own mouth. Got the thumbs up. Shoveled more into my pie hole. Packaged remainder into little baggies for her. All good.

But considering I only used two lemons, I imagine I’ll be making 63 more cups. Or until she’s “tired” of them. Whichever comes first.

Chex Lemon Buddies
Makes 9 cups
Prep time 15 minutes

• 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
• 1 1/4 cup white vanilla baking chips
• 1/4 cup butter or margarine
• 1 tablespoon lemon zest
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 cups powdered sugar

Measure cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside.

In a microwaveable bowl, microwave chips, butter, lemon zest and juice uncovered on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 more seconds or until mixture can be stirred smooth.

Pour mixture over cereal, stirring gently with a spatular until evenly coated. Pour into a 2-gallon re-sealable food storage plastic bag. Add powdered sugar, seal bag and shake until all the cereal is well-coated.

(slightly adapted from allrecipes.com)

Jennifer Meredith November 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm

These are amazing! Very easy to make & delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Lizzy April 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Mmm! These were delicious! Chex calls the chocolate ones ‘muddy buddies’, so these can be ‘sunny buddies!’ So bright and yummy – perfect for an easter basket goodie! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Mandy March 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

OH….MY…..I can’t even! There are no words for how incredible this is. Just now made it and can’t stop eating. Also, I may have referred to it as “lemon crack.” Thanks for sharing this recipe!

alexa March 9, 2012 at 4:15 am

I’ve been looking for a new recipe and landed on your blog! can’t wait to try this! :)

Epicurea March 5, 2012 at 8:07 am

congratulations on raising a little gourmet :-)! i’m sure she’ll enjoy these lemon treats (and all the other fabulous dishes on your blog).

sippitysup March 4, 2012 at 7:27 am

Pie Hole. That’s my joke ;-) GREG

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy March 3, 2012 at 3:36 pm

This looks delicious! I love lemon snacks too!

Becki's Whole Life March 3, 2012 at 4:08 am

That’s so funny that your daughter told you that. Mine said the same thing – ha!

Love these. I’m a huge fan and with the lemon and powdered sugar combo they remind me of those lemon cooler cookies – which I always loved!

Kim March 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I would have a hard time sharing these Chex Lemon Buddies. “Make your own, People!” Because I LOVE lemony goodies– sweet and savory. Lemons don’t last for long outside of the fridge, but I still have to have one to look at in a white bowl on my kitchen island. They’re like little balls of sunshine and they just makes me happy.

Joanne March 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Haley can send me some of those white chocolate mac nut granola bars if she’s TIRED of them. Seriously, though…where is THAT recipe?

Being a lemon fiend myself, I’ll be picking up some meyers at the store tomorrow…and making these. It’s gonna be revelatory. I know it.

pam March 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

Oh my gosh, these sound amazing!!

Jenna March 1, 2012 at 10:22 am

What a great snack! And I also feel a huge sense of guilt when my lemons go bad. Granted I don’t have 50 of them, but they do have a way of rolling to the very back of the fridge, where I forget about them.

Paul @ Experiate March 1, 2012 at 9:57 am

Well, you know the saying:

“When life gives you lemons, regift them to Amy for she will turn them into yummy lemon treats that will make you sing the high notes and do a little Riverdance in your living room as the crunch crunch crunch of lemony chexy trickles to your belly, and your belly thanks you by making you giggle with delight.”

Old saying, but very apropos here.

I’m sure we all know that, right?

Amy March 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm

HEEEE…Babe. <3 U.

Rachel March 1, 2012 at 9:31 am

These.

Any kind of Chex Mix with chocolate or peanut butter or both make me do cartwheels. I MUST try the lemon version mmmmmmmmmmm I want these right.now.

Amy March 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Like any awesome snack, they’ll be your best friend and your enemy all at the same time!

Melissa March 1, 2012 at 6:42 am

Poor Haley. :P

I finally tasted lemon curd a couple of weeks ago. Thought of you, you lemon freak. And I’m sure I would be shoveling these into my piehole, too, but since I would be the only one, I will refrain. ;)

Amy March 1, 2012 at 8:04 am

Lemon curd. Sigh. Another weakness of mine. Luckily, a little goes a long way on toast with ricotta. So, Steve’s not a lemon fan? Cereal fan? chocolate fan? Crazy man… ;-) This snack is evil…perhaps it’s best you don’t have it in the house.

the wicked noodle March 1, 2012 at 6:38 am

I love all things lemon, too!! LOVE…so I’ll be needing to make these for my girls. And for me. And my mom who will be here in two weeks (YAY!!) because she, too, loves the Lemon! What a fun snack.