Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on March 13, 2012 · 14 comments

I cannot believe how many things are made with peanuts. You don’t realize it until you find out your kid has an allergy, and are then forced to read all the labels. And the tiny print. Ad nauseum. Giving you a headache. Making you say bad words in the cracker isle. It happens.

Packaged granola bars are the biggest culprits for peanuts, and therefore used to be my nemesis. Until I found out how easy and fast it is to make them. Ya booooy. There are a gazillion recipes available…and it’s possible I’ve tried that many; some have been like candy, and some have tasted and felt like cardboard.

This one is a favorite – soft and chewy, with a slight crunch from the oats…sweet, and without preservatives or HFCS. And no peanuts.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

(If this doesn’t appeal to you, hang tight. I have another favorite coming. A little firmer, made with cranberries and almonds. Mmmm.)

Of course the point of having a healthier version only works if you eat just one as a snack. I think I devoured three out of the first batch. But who am I to say what’s a serving? Especially when brown sugar and chocolate chips are involved.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Makes 10 bars

• 2 cups quick-cooking oats
• 1 cup crispy rice cereal
• 1/3 cup light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup honey
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips

Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.

In a large bowl, stir the oats and rice cereal together; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt the brown sugar, honey, and butter together over medium-high heat until it begins to bubble. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

Pour the melted mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well to moisten all ingredients. Pour the oat mixture into the prepared pan and press down to ensure that the ingredients are tightly compacted in the pan. Sprinkle the top evenly with the miniature chocolate chips and press down on the top lightly with the back of a spoon.

Cool at room temperature and then place in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes, or until the chocolate chips are set before cutting into bars. Wrap in plastic wrap or keep in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.

(from Brown Eyed Baker)

Mia January 24, 2013 at 9:03 am

Thank you! I used this for my son who is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, sunflower, coconut and eggs. He loved granola bars and for the first time cried when he couldn’t have something (store granola) the other day. I found this and he LOVED it. My picky husband even loved it. The batch was gone in 2 days. You made him SO SO happy. Said it is his new favorite snack

Amy January 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

Oh boy, you have even more challenges with your son. Ugh…kids and allergies. So hard, I know. Thrilled these worked out for you!

Symphony September 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm

My favorite granola recipe so far! I’ve made it twice already & it’s so DELISH!!! I’m going to switch it up next time with toasted coconut & almonds.

Alexia March 21, 2012 at 5:26 am

Made these yesterday. So yummy!!

Christine March 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I think it’s totally reasonable and acceptable to dip these in chocolate as well, fondue style.

Joanne March 14, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I’ve made these before, actually…and may or may not have eaten half the pan. In one sitting. That seems rational for a midday snack, right?

Jessica J March 14, 2012 at 5:25 am

I’ve never thought to make my own granola bars. Definitely going to try now though!

the wicked noodle March 13, 2012 at 11:55 am

Can you believe I’ve never made granola bars? My girls would LOVE these!! (I think I say that about every one of your recipes).

Dad March 13, 2012 at 11:04 am

I need some for my summer hiking schedule. Could you add marshmallow and pack them for me?

And Sandi, “Grandpap??????” Mammy Yokum is alive and well?

Sandi March 13, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Amy’s Dad..I was talking about my husband, the kids call him Grandpap. Won’t go into what I call him some days…LOL If Amy adds marshmallows to them, have her send me some…LMBO!

Amy March 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I thought about putting marshmallows and coconut in these…maybe next time!

pam March 13, 2012 at 7:58 am

And isn’t it that even if things are made with peanuts, they usually come from some factory where there are peanuts present?!

Jenna March 13, 2012 at 7:48 am

What a great and simple recipe! Home made granola bars have always intimidated me–until now. This actually looks doable to me–wheeee!

Sandi March 13, 2012 at 6:48 am

These really sound good! Grandbabies won’t eat them, but Grandpap surely will!