Shrimp Stir-Fry with Sugar Snap Peas

Shrimp Stir-Fry with Sugar Snap Peas | Very Culinary

by Amy Flanigan on March 22, 2012 · 17 comments

Spring: temperatures start to rise 10 degrees, flower buds appear, birds begin canoodling, and we get a newfound hop in our step. So we put on our capris from last year. And whoops – they don’t fit. So we start searching for healthier recipes and cut back on the brownies.

Summer: we’re in shorts and bathing suits for three months, and we’re hot! (as in, dripping sweat, not sexy)…so we’re committed to eat salads and fruit, and drink ice water.

Fall: temperatures drop, magazines come in the mail with all sorts of new casserole dishes and soup recipes…which must be accompanied by bread for goodness sakes! What do you take me for, a heathen?

Winter: It’s cold. It’s holiday time. It’s Christmas cookie time! It’s sweat pants time. It’s a-little-extra-body-fat-will-keep-me-warm time. Ya.

…and we’re back to Spring.

I did try on my capris – that was scary. I did clear out the pantry – that was sad. And I did start searching for lighter recipes – that was encouraging. I haven’t, however, given up the brownies yet. Baby steps.

This recipe is a good start. It’s also helping me work on that 50 pound bag of rice I have.

Shrimp Stir-Fry with Sugar Snap Peas

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
• 8 ounces sugar snap peas, strings removed
• 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
• 1/4 cup soy sauce (low sodium or gluten-free)
• 3 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
• 2 teaspoons chile garlic sauce
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• salt and pepper
• 3 scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated

In a bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, chile garlic sauce, and cornstarch. Set aside.

Rub the ginger, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper all over the shrimp.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan or wok over high heat. Add the white scallions and saute for 30 seconds. Add the snap peas, sprinkle with a touch of salt and stir-fry until they’re crisp-tender, 1-2 minutes. Add the shrimp to the pan and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Whisk the soy sauce mixture and add it to the pan. Cook until the shrimp are opaque and the sauce has thickened, about 1 more minute. Toss the scallion greens in and remove from the heat.

Serve over white rice with some of the pan sauce.

Note: Most stir-fry dishes don’t seem to have enough sauce for the rice to soak up, so I made sure this recipe has plenty. No need to double it!

(inspired by Everyday Food)

kerri July 14, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Delicious!! I added peppers as well! I recommend though not cooking the onions first as they almost burned.

Amy @Very Culinary July 14, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hm. I’ve never had that problem with the onions O.o But glad you liked it! Thanks, Kerri!

Cakebake April 8, 2012 at 6:11 am

I love prawns…this recipe will suit me to a ‘T’…thanks for sharing.
I also love your summary of the changing seasons….here in Australia we generally have four distinct seasons give or take a few degrees. I can eat prawns anytime of the year.

Patti April 6, 2012 at 8:59 am

Where do I find chile garlic sauce?

Amy April 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

Hi Patti – you should be able to find it at any regular grocery store in their Asian food section.

Caroline April 5, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I found this on Food Gawker and made it tonight. It’s been a while since I made a recipe and was completely blown away! It was delicious and surprisingly simple. Thanks for sharing–I will be following your blog from now on!

Amy April 5, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Oh hooray! I’m so glad. I love this dish…so glad you found me and loved it too :D

Stephanie March 23, 2012 at 7:57 am

Mmmm, rice. There’s a reason Asian people are so petite, you know! ;)

P.S. Brownies are good for ANY time of year!

myfudo March 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm

The orange and green combination is indeed appropriate for Spring…Can’t wait to try this!

Joanne March 22, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I can’t picture you (a) being anything BUT hot (the sexy kind :P) or (b) not being able to fit into anything, especially with all the Insanity I KNOW you’ve been doing. But I’ll take your word for it. Bring on the lighter recipes! This looks super tasty. i really need more stir fries in my life!

Jen March 22, 2012 at 11:51 am

Hmmm…I’ve never made those kind of commitments. Maybe that’s my problem and why I cannot zip up my shorts….

Amy March 22, 2012 at 12:53 pm

*snort* well, I think they’re more mental commitments than reality. My Oreo stash is actually shrinking and I’m considering not replenishing *shudders*

Jenna March 22, 2012 at 7:04 am

We love shrimp, and your picture (as always) makes this dish look incredibly tantalizing. Yet another one to add to the menu soon!

Sandi Benoit March 22, 2012 at 6:08 am

Amy: Your killing me here!! I’m at my folks house, they wouldn’t even try anything this YUMMY!! I miss my kitchen!! Once I get back, John and I are going to be ALL OVER THIS!!! Thanks for sharing another “good” one, all though, all of them are beyoned GOOD

Amy March 22, 2012 at 7:03 am

Thanks Sandi! Have your rice ready to go, and this meal is on the table in 20 minutes – super easy! At your parents house…hope everything is okay.

the wicked noodle March 22, 2012 at 6:06 am

YUM, Amy!! I’m loving all the delish and easy asian recipes lately. Sugar snap peas and shrimp are two of my favorite combos, too!

Amy March 22, 2012 at 7:02 am

I can’t imagine life without Asian food and I just recently discovered snap peas – I’m in love!