Stir Fry Sirloin with Snow Peas

Post image for Stir Fry Sirloin with Snow Peas

by Amy on April 24, 2012 · 15 comments

I’m so backlogged with recipes I want to share with you all! I went through a period a couple months ago where 8 out of 10 dishes I was trying were just okay. Then it picked up. And now I’m back to everything I seem to be making, I can’t get enough of.

This is one of those.

I believe you could use snow peas or snap peas here; their difference is slight and seem pretty interchangeable.

Up until a year ago, I’d never even tried a snow pea or snap pea. Since then, I’ve been having an absolute love affair with them. I can’t wait until the ones from my garden are ready – and apparently, checking on their progress 12 times a day does not help them grow.

Or maybe it does…

Go make this! It’s delicious!

Stir Fry Sirloin with Snow Peas
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes

• 1/2 cup  soy sauce (low sodium or gluten-free)
• 3 tablespoons sherry
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
• 1 1/2 pound sirloin, fat trimmed and sliced very thin
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 8 ounces fresh snow peas
• 4 scallions, chopped and divided
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch, and ginger. Add sliced meat to bowl and toss with hands. Set aside.

Heat oil in a heavy skillet or wok over high heat. Add snow peas and stir for 45 seconds. Remove to a separate plate. Set aside.

Allow pan to get very hot again. With tongs, add half the meat by spreading it out in the skillet, leaving most of the marinade still in the bowl, along with half the scallions. Let the meat sear, without stirring for one minute. Turn meat over and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a clean plate.

Repeat with other half of meat, allowing pan to get very hot again first. After turning it, add the first plateful of meat, the rest of the marinade, the snow peas, and red pepper flakes. Stir over high heat for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Check seasonings and add salt only if it needs it. Mixture will thicken as it sits.

Serve immediately over rice.

(adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

Sweet Dee November 13, 2014 at 11:28 am

Made this last night and it was delicious! I’ll definitely be keeping this recipe around. Thanks!

Amy @Very Culinary November 13, 2014 at 1:11 pm

So glad you enjoyed it – we love this dish!

Katie | Healthnut Foodie April 26, 2012 at 5:50 pm

This looks awesome! We have the same obsession with the multiple checking of the garden. I even have a few more peas soaking to plant tomorrow. I cannot wait to try them out in this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Amy April 27, 2012 at 5:38 am

Greetings Katie and thanks! – my tomato plants and peppers have flowers now, and my strawberries and snap peas have real fruit/veggies. So you, fellow gardener, can understand my excitement! There is something to be said for a hot/sunny 95 degrees, followed by a humid rain.

Sarah April 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I literally said ‘”ooooooo maaaaaaaiii gawwwwww yummmm” out loud when I saw this picture on foodgawker. I wasn’t hungry, but now I am and can’t wait to try this when I’m not on the road!

Amy April 25, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks Sarah! I just perused your blog and now I’m hungry, too! Oh wait…I’m like that all the time ;-) Seriously, though. Yum-O.

Melissa April 25, 2012 at 6:43 am

I wanted to make this immediately when I saw it yesterday. Shocking, I know. Instead I made something else beefy and added this to next week’s menu instead. Oh yeah.

Amy April 25, 2012 at 7:48 am

This is totally in your wheel-house. Duh. I love these tasty/quick weekday meals.

Joanne April 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I beg to differ on the snap pea v. snow pea issue. Come June, snap peas taste as sweet as CANDY. And I’d take them over snow peas any day. But until then…you’re right, they’re the same. Let’s dig in.

pam April 24, 2012 at 9:54 am

Are they difficult to grow? I love them.

Amy April 24, 2012 at 10:03 am

This is my first year…they seem super easy, but I’ve already learned a valuable mistake – you need to stake them or use cages, like tomato plants, because they grow up and the beans hang. I will start this process much earlier next season!

Jenna April 24, 2012 at 8:17 am

Amy, I love all the stirfries you’ve posted! Keep ’em coming!

Rebecca April 24, 2012 at 5:59 am

Snow peas are one of my favourite vegetables and I’m not kidding. I seriously buy them pounds at a time when I go grocery shopping. I wash them all, dry them and eat them for snacks constantly! All that to say I want this BADLY.

Amy April 24, 2012 at 10:05 am

I started buying them for Haley when she mentioned snacking on them at a friend’s house. It was all over from there. Love.

lo April 24, 2012 at 5:52 am

Quick delicious weeknight stir-fry? Count me in!
I absolutely love the sweet crunch of snow peas, and I look forward to the spring just so that I can gorge myself on them :) Along with asparagus, that is.