Strawberry and Goat Cheese Flatbread with Balsamic Syrup

Post image for Strawberry and Goat Cheese Flatbread with Balsamic Syrup

by Amy Flanigan on May 3, 2012 · 18 comments

There are many days as a stay-at-home-mom that time stands still. Pretend tea party? Another game of Old Maid? Hide and Seek. Again. Ugh. And while Daddy can whip up a car-robot-building-elephant-transformer out of Legos…in 3 minutes…I am completely inept at building anything. Is it bedtime yet?!

But then. Then there are days when you actually want to stop the clock; bottle each and every moment because they all bring you joy, pride, and make you smile.

Like picking up your older one from school and hearing her tell you with excitement that “she earned two trips to the treasure box, so she chose something for herself, and then something for her younger brother.”

Like listening to your kids eat lunch, talk about their day, and enjoy each other, oblivious that you’re even in the same room. And realize your kids are old enough now to actually sit and share knock-knock jokes. Even though they make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Like watching your 4YO grab the step stool every. single. time. he sees you reach for the cutting board and knife, because he is that interested in what you’re about to cook.

Trevor, lover of anything strawberry, helped me make this. And while he’s not fond of goat cheese, his commitment to the red fruit is so powerful, he was able to overlook it and actually ended up eating two wedges. Progress.

He then leaned over, gave me a hug, and said, “I love you, Mommy.” And I knew the day wasn’t going to get any better.

Strawberry & Goat Cheese Flatbread with Balsamic Syrup
Serves 2 (or more as an appetizer if you cut them into wedges)

• 2 (6-inch) round or square flatbreads
• olive oil for brushing
• 4 large strawberries, sliced
• 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
• 1/4 cup good balsamic vinegar
• 1-2 basil leaves, chiffonade or chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place flatbread(s) on a cookie sheet and lightly brush a little olive oil on them. Distribute the strawberries on top, followed by the goat cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until just golden.

While the flatbread is baking, pour the balsamic vinegar in a small pot. Over medium-high heat, simmer and reduce until a syrup forms (about 2-3 minutes) – watch it carefully or it will harden or burn.

Drizzle some of the balsamic syrup over the flatbread and sprinkle with the basil. Cut into wedges or squares and serve warm.

Note: ingredients can be increased or decreased to your liking.

(adapted from Pink Parsley)

Stephanie May 11, 2012 at 7:37 am

I almost don’t even care about this recipe because the story was so sweet! I guess there ARE some perks to having kiddos… :)

Lana May 7, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I know the contradictory feelings all to well:) Watching Dumbo EVERY single day with my youngest after preschool made me see the drunken circles and bubbles as soon as the opening credits rolled. That she remembers it now (at 12) with gratitude makes the bubbles disappear instantly:)
I am convinced that my girls would love this flatbread, as they love every single ingredient (goat cheese included – it did take some training of the palate, though:) Our SoCal strawberries are abundant at the farmers’ markets and I am glad that I found another fast (very important!) recipe to use them before they turn soft and moldy.

Jen May 4, 2012 at 3:47 pm

This looks so amazingly yummy! I added it to my “pile”.

Ali, Stonefire Flatbreads May 4, 2012 at 8:25 am

Thanks for sharing, Amy! This looks delicious! :)

Joanne May 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm

And…that is why I want kids. In a nutshell.

I also want about six slices of this flatbread! Probably more.

Dad May 3, 2012 at 11:11 am

How can you say you can’t build anything? You not only built two kids, but now you built a goat thingie that looks like a pizza desert. Looks good to me.

Melissa May 3, 2012 at 10:58 am

*Sniff* You know what’s great about kids? They have no idea about the logistics and the stresses and the adult responsibilities. They just keep doing their thing, day after day, being loving and happy and wonderful. :)

Amy May 3, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Right? And they’re easily amused by dirt and rocks. Life is so simple to them…it’s sad we lose that.

CJ at Food Stories May 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

I found your site on foodblogs.com and thought I’d stop by and check it out. I just subscribed to your feed and can’t wait to see what your next post will be!

Kim May 3, 2012 at 9:19 am

That looks divine.

Jenna May 3, 2012 at 7:28 am

What a sweet, sweet vision of motherhood . . . aaaah. =) (not to mention a delicious looking flatbread treat)

Amy May 3, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Oh yes, you’re going to find out soon enough…even though I know it feels like an eternity to you!

Rebecca May 3, 2012 at 6:37 am

May I bring the family and move in with you during the CA strawberry season? I promise we’ll leave just as NY has strawberries coming on. I want this flatbread so badly, but I know I have to wait until I get good, fresh, REAL strawberries.

Amy May 3, 2012 at 2:02 pm

You saw that I have fresh garden strawberries coming in, right? I have to seriously control myself from not picking them…this with store bought berries and basil was delicious. Thinking about it with berries and basil from my garden? *DED*

the wicked noodle May 3, 2012 at 6:26 am

YAY!! What a wonderful, joyful post. And here you had me at the strawberry and goat cheese.

I like it here. It always makes me feel happy inside to stop by and see what my friend Amy is about today.

Amy May 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Aaaah, Kristy :D :D *mommy high five*

Bev Weidner May 3, 2012 at 6:09 am

I LOVE IT. I’ll take 45.

Amy May 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Bev…lol. I think that about all your food! I’ve decided reading you late at night is the cruelest of punishments.