A Day In The Life

Post image for A Day In The Life

by Amy Flanigan on July 2, 2012 · 13 comments

That image right there ^^^ was taken by my Dad. Pretty creepy cool, right? (Or in my case, cool creepy, right?) He’s uber talented when it comes to nature photography. Personally, I prefer his shots of butterflies and dragonflies, but he is nothing if not an equal opportunity wildlife-picture-taker. He enjoys it all. And would probably spend a good amount of time checking out my garden, which has been invaded by these suckers. I, however, am not amused.

Time: 6:04 am

Weather outside: 60.1 degrees, clear and sunny

On my desk: bills, an awesome thank you card I received, 4 USB jump drives, and a sack of marbles (no joke.)

On my nightstand: Southern Living, What’s For Supper cookbook (what? Don’t you look at cookbooks in bed?)

On TiVo: Food Network Star, The Daily Show, and Dallas (ya, baby!)

In my ears: Spell It Out by Gavin DeGraw…have you heard it? It’s my new favorite song. Listen here and fall in love.

In my garden: TONS of cherry tomatoes…and those creepy spiders (seriously gives whole new meaning to the term “Heebie-jeebies”)

In the oven: strawberries…slow cooking at 215 for 4 hours to dehydrate. We’ll see how they turn out.

In my tummy: peach yogurt and granola.

In my future: trip to the pool with the kids.

On tap for dinner: Paul’s all time favorite sandwich.

Latest obsession: Ruffles Loaded Bacon & Cheddar Potato Skins Chips (damn you Ruffles!)

On my mind: food for Wednesday, popsicle molds, and the loss of Nora Ephron (I found out late and am so sad!)

So, my compadres…what’s everyone doing for the 4th of July holiday?

Mom July 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

I’m a bit behind on your blog, so the 4th has passed me by. I listened to Spell It Out and did enjoy it….might even listen again. How did the strawberries come out? We have lots of spiders, too, but not twenty on one place.

Joanne July 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm

(a) I read cookbooks in bed every night! They’re so soothing.
(b) I want to hear how those strawberries turned out!!
(c) Yes, Wednesday. The boy and I are going home to MY HOUSE and he’s going to meet my dad and brother. (He already met my mom and sister at the hospital.) YIKES.

Amy July 2, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Oh, don’t worry…they’ll immediately bond over carnivore stuff and make embarrassing jokes about you. He’s golden.

Lynda July 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I believe that some day spiders will take over the world! I’ll be hiding out somewhere.

We’re hosting about thirty friends on the Fourth. Right now my refrigerator is full of ribs and other yummy stuff. The whole neighborhood will smell so grand on Wednesday!

Amy July 2, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Sounds fabulous!… the get together, not the hostile spider take-over. We finally got a 2nd fridge last year for such large gatherings. It was life changing.

Dad July 2, 2012 at 11:49 am

Well, if you’d keep more of the spiders around, you wouldn’t have so many bugs on your ‘taters.’ So give Haley and Trevor a quarter for each one they bring back , 50 cents if they don’t bring them in the house and name them “Sylvia” (too much attachment once you name them), and a buck if they can find 50 Ladybugs …you know, the bug that renders Koothrappali speachless.

Amy July 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm

HEE. I acknowledge they are good for the garden, but when I went outside and noticed about 20 of them had taken up residence there, I about died. Trevor is fascinated, of course, and actually asked when he spotted a bee hanging for dear life from a web, “I wonder if he’s doing gymnastics?”

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel July 2, 2012 at 9:55 am

creepy – only creepy. I hate spiders.

Melissa July 2, 2012 at 8:37 am

Listened to the song. NICE.

Of course I read cookbooks in bed. Where else?

Have a great 4th, love, and enjoy not doing all the cooking yourself. :)

Amy July 2, 2012 at 9:44 am

That song was used for one of the (older) dance routines in Haley’s recital. I teared up when I heard it. I made Paul go online that night to find it! Something about it is so haunting, yet peaceful and wonderful.

the wicked noodle July 2, 2012 at 6:14 am

I love these posts of yours!! I keep meaning to start them myself just because they’re so fun to read that writing them must be fun, too.

Not sure what we’re doing for the 4th yet {gasp}! We normally go one of two places for parties but this year those parties aren’t happening! So we’re winging it :-)

Hope you have a great holiday! xo

Amy July 2, 2012 at 9:40 am

I was actually just telling Melissa ^^ that this is the first 4th in a long time that I didn’t host. We’re going to a friend’s house and all I have to do is bring something. And I am totally okay with that! It will be nice to truly relax.