Ratatouille and a Tribute to Julia Child

Post image for Ratatouille and a Tribute to Julia Child

by Amy Flanigan on July 23, 2012 · 12 comments

Seems like every month there is some cooking contest going on for food bloggers. I always decline – I can’t handle the time constraints and pressure of the deadlines. But when I was approached about the JC100, a 15 week tribute to Julia Child leading up to what would have been her 100th birthday, I agreed. I mean, it’s Julia Child. I love her. And I only agreed to participate in one week. I could handle that. Right? Ya…

Problem is, every week we would get the recipe to reproduce, and every week, I was like, “that’s too complicated,” or “that’s too time consuming.” And then it dawned on me. I like to eat French food, but I don’t really like to cook it.

We’re now in week 12 of this tribute and I started to panic. I better make something or I’ll fail on my commitment. Not cool. Then Ratatouille came along. Roasted vegetables; easy and totally up my alley. Whew!

I made this version based on Rachel’s hypnotizing photo, not even realizing she had adapted the original, and leaving out the tomatoes (intentional) and onions (unintentional)…both items I would have left in. I didn’t have dried basil, so I used thyme, and I tripled the amount of garlic.

This won’t win over veggie haters, but for you veggie lovers who are looking for an easy side, add this to your list. It was tasty. And gives new meaning to the Pixar movie.

Ratatouille

• 1 japanese eggplant
• 1 medium zucchini
• 1 medium summer squash
• 1 small red bell pepper
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice eggplant, zucchini, squash and bell pepper into 1/8? rounds. Add to a large bowl with minced garlic. Sprinkle with spices and seasonings. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.

Preheat a large sauté pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. When pan is warm, add 1/3 of your vegetables. Tossing and flipping until slightly browned. Repeat with remaining olive oil and vegetables.

In a large oven safe dish, poor the tomato sauce on the bottom. Arrange vegetable slices as desired. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until tender and sauce is bubbly.

Serve warm with bread or as a side dish to a larger meal.

(Excerpted from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, slightly adapted from Rachel at Baked by Rachel)

Ray Mullins July 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm

This looks like something I could easily adapt when I get lots of squash-like vegetables in my FFTY box.

Amy July 26, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Absolutely! Next time, I’m definitely using onions and tomatoes. Maybe add some chopped up shallot. Very versatile.

Stephanie July 24, 2012 at 7:10 am

French food is way too time consuming for me. It’s not practical for a weeknight, and most times our weekends are used up trying new recipes or having BBQs. But Julia Child is seriously a cooking God. Maybe her recipes are worth it….

Amy July 24, 2012 at 10:07 am

Yes, amidst my grilling frenzy over here, this was difficult to fit in. But I’m glad it did. It was yummy and I served it with whole grilled trout. Mmmm.

P~ July 24, 2012 at 6:12 am

I love Julia too…and Ratatouille is one of my favorite things! It looks beautiful. P~

Amy July 24, 2012 at 10:06 am

Thanks, Paula! Took about 50 different pictures and that was the 1st one. Of course.

Joanne July 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I actually brought ratatouille over to my parents’ house for dinner last night! We scooped it up with big hunks of ciabatta bread. Awesomeness. Great minds and all!

I’m not really one for French food either…other than baguettes, cheese and croissants. Those I love in spades.

Amy July 24, 2012 at 10:08 am

“…. baguettes, cheese and croissants” *thud*

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel July 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm

YAY! You made one lol. Looks fabulous. And what I’ve learned most from the JC100 recipes chosen is that most have been extremely easy even if they haven’t seemed that way. :)

Amy July 23, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Just under the wire! Well, you certainly made them look easy. And delicious…your pictures are incredible.

Jenna July 23, 2012 at 11:51 am

I LOVE ratatouille! When I studied abroad in Paris, my host mother made it all the time and I’ve never recovered (who would want to? =).

Amy July 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Oh, I bet having this in France, prepared by a French lady would be exquisite!