Easy Maple Pecan Pull-Apart Muffins

Post image for Easy Maple Pecan Pull-Apart Muffins

by Amy Flanigan on August 9, 2012 · 17 comments

I hate clutter. And I hate dirty, sticky fingers. Based on those two things alone, I probably should not have had kids. But I got the memo too late.

So I just grin and bear it when they get Cheetos residue on the chair cushions, marshmallow fluff on their clothes, and stain 25 napkins with barbecue sauce. (Actually, that’s a lie. I sit in the corner. And cry.)

It’s happening less and less as they grow older, but OMG. How hard is it to get the food in one’s mouth and not…everywhere else?

As I was eating this, I immediately thought a sweet version would be just as good. And how about in muffin form? (Ya, every once in a while I have a good idea.) Then, I decided to add maple syrup to the butter… oh yes.

They’re like a fabulous cinnamon bun. And totally worth the sticky fingers.

Easy Maple Pecan Pull-Apart Muffins
Makes 12

• 1 tube of Pillsbury refrigerated Grands biscuits (not the flaky layers)
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup maple syrup
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the butter and maple syrup and melt in the microwave. Evenly distribute among 12 muffin slots (you’ll have just enough to coat the bottom of each well.)

In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. Cut each biscuit into 8 pieces and toss with the brown sugar mixture, making sure the biscuit pieces stay separated and the sugar coats the pieces on all sides..

Place 5 biscuit pieces into each muffin slot (yes, you’ll have 4 left over…pick a slot that looks like it needs another and drop it in!) Sprinkle any brown sugar and pecans that get left behind in the bowl, evenly over each muffin.

Bake for 18 minutes until golden brown.

Print this recipe

Lisa April 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I don’t particularly care for maple, do you think if I tried making an orange simple syrup that would substitute in this well?

Amy April 8, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Hi Lisa – I really couldn’t say, sorry. But I imagine orange goes well with brown sugar and cinnamon, so I say got for it!

Stephanie August 22, 2012 at 11:29 am

First things first: I dread the day that we have kids JUST for the two reasons you stated above. I am WAY to OCD to have my house out of order. And the mess? Oy.
Second: You are genius. My mouth is watering with the thought of how good these are.

jeri August 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Because I love your blog, I need to share a video on YouTube called “Julia Child Remix.” I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It’s brilliant. Happy 100th, Julia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ZrUI7RNfI&feature=youtu.be

Amy August 15, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hi Jeri! A few people sent this to me this morning and I howled. Thanks for stopping by and posting..it’s so clever!

PJ August 14, 2012 at 9:38 am

I am due in March!! I hate drool, sticky, ooey gooey anything and slobber! I am in trouble! Trying to figure out how I am going to do this. Many, many wipes and burp blankets not cloths! Love your post! Glad to hear it gets better as they get older!

wren August 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Can I use the 6 jumbo muffin pans instead of the 12?

Amy August 13, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Hi Wren – I would imagine, however that will probably require a longer cooking time. But I don’t know by how much. It will take some trial and error to make sure you don’t over cook them and get dry muffins, or under cook them and get raw dough.

Kim August 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm

You are a good mama! Childhood should be filled with sticky, gooey treats and the smell of buttery cinnamon buns wafting from the kitchen. Lucky, lucky kids, too!

Amy August 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I’m trying! Funny thing is, I have no problem with outside dirt. And mud. But glue, popsicle juice, and jelly…that sticky stuff. Argh. I don’t even like it on ME. I could own stock in baby wipes.

Lauren August 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Yummy. I like the idea of cutting them into pieces and them letting them bake into each other again. Thanks for the recipe!

Paul August 10, 2012 at 9:02 am

I had these for breakfast yesterday. And lunch. And dinner.

Joanne August 9, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I don’t do well with sticky either. This does not bode well for the future babies I want to have. Perhaps I need to start easing myself into it by making and eating these. Daily.

Jen August 9, 2012 at 8:44 am

Droooool. These look so yummy.

Amy August 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm

You’d love these, Jen :D

the wicked noodle August 9, 2012 at 5:20 am

omg, Amy! These look good enough to…umm…eat!! AND put up with sticky fingers, I agree. Every once in awhile I’ll make something like this for the girls for breakfast so they’ll remember that I’m not just the one who bosses them around and makes them brush their teeth. I’d just have to make sure I didn’t eat the whole pan myself before they got up :-)

Amy August 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm

HA. I give my kids tons of candy and 3 hours of tv. Ah, I kid. It is amazing how excited mine get over anything with syrup. Had I put chocolate chips in these bad boys, they surely would be indebted to me for life. And p.s. I ate my fair share before giving them any ;-)